Reasons Why We Will Make The Playoffs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I like seeing threads like these. Hopefully this doesn't get torn to bits.
    Agreed. I love the unbridled enthusiasm for this team. Helps to balanced the cynical old cooks that have been wasting away on this site for years reaffirming each others misery.
    Welp, that sucked.

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
      Doug Smith? Is that you?

In all severity, I don't see this roster even being in existence by the time the playoffs roll around so there's no way to say if they'll be there or not. If they are, I don't share your enthusiasm. If anyone has watched the NBA playoffs this year, it's pretty telling that the top 8 teams are on another level. Going to take some major changes to get the Raps in the mix.
      Your expectations are way out of whack with the reality this team faces. You can't compare a team that didn't make the playoffs to a top 8 team. There are clear and obvious reasons why each is in their position. What you CAN expect though, is improvement or movement in a direction that will lead to improvement. I think the spirit of this thread is to say that SOME fans are actually encouraged by what they see in this team and are willing to bet that they will improve next year compared to last year.

If you want to watch a team next season that is going to compete for a championship, I suggest watching one of those top 8 teams you are referring to. I, on the the hand, will continue to support my club and enjoy watching them grow and evolve.
      Welp, that sucked.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
        Your expectations are way out of whack with the reality this team faces. You can't compare a team that didn't make the playoffs to a top 8 team. There are clear and obvious reasons why each is in their position. What you CAN expect though, is improvement or movement in a direction that will lead to improvement. I think the spirit of this thread is to say that SOME fans are actually encouraged by what they see in this team and are willing to bet that they will improve next year compared to last year.

If you want to watch a team next season that is going to compete for a championship, I suggest watching one of those top 8 teams you are referring to. I, on the the hand, will continue to support my club and enjoy watching them grow and evolve.
        I could argue that you, like a lot of Raptor fans, are the ones with expectations out of whack. Continuing to be impressed by teams that only have the opportunity to limp in to the playoffs only to lose in the first round is IMO the definition of insanity. If you enjoy watching a team grow and evolve every year into the same position in the bottom half of the league standings then my hat is off to you. I expect more and I don't think it's wrong of me to do so. My mention of top 8 teams was simply to apply a measuring stick for the current roster. With the exception of JV, we basically know what we're getting from each player. Yes, they might gel a bit more, improve a little here and there but so does the rest of the league. There's no amount of growing and evolving from the current roster that can bring them to elite status. Hence, changes must be made to get there.
        There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

I think it's a good assumption that the teams who were bad this year will stay bad because next year's draft is such a strong one.
          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post

i would argue that this team is already at that top 8 level and *should* have made the playoffs last year. there was no real good excuse for that 4-19 start,no good excuse going 2-7 in overtime games,no good excuse not to use a top notch #3 as the #3 after the deal,no good excuse stapling Val to the bench for all the 4th quarters he was,no good excuse to having 18 players all get more than 11.8 minutes per game when they played (yes there were injuries and people in and out but what a whack of time wasted on obvious 3rd stringers!)

i am hoping it was Colangelo that was directing the roster moves at Casey but it's interesting in the end since in my mind Casey's poor in game decisions and performance cost BC his job. had we made it to .500 and made the playoffs the focus would have been more on improving rather than blowing it up,we would still have our 1st round pick and the future maybe a little brighter to more eyes than it appears to be now.

count me on the optimistic side for at least making the playoffs this year and i'm hoping to see a much more stable starting 5 and a much improved and much shorter bench. the new GM has his work cut out making a bunch of instant changes but directing the coach to play our best players the most minutes together will make a pretty big difference to start with

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
              We're going to be a much better team next year, especially with a full training camp. The only way I see us not making the playoffs is injuries.

Reasons why we'll make he playoffs:

Kyle Lowry getting into shape, playing like he did in the beggining of the season and this time WITH a full training camp.

DeMar DeRozan improving himself in the offseason, as he always does. I'm pretty sure he'll be knocking down more 3's and even be dishing the ball a few times, might even get better defense because of him being mentored by Gary Payton now.

Rudy Gay taking over the team and being the man, he'll allow DeMar to flourish and also will DeMar.

Amir Johnson being Amir Johnson, but an improved one. I know he's already working on his game.

Jonas Valanciunas, hopefully he can learn to not make mistakes next season, then we can see how he really plays though 30 min a game. Also, I heard he's working on his strength and agility right now which means he's going to improve even more, I also heard he will work on his post moves more, he will also be playing in the Lithuania or something like that.

Landry Fields getting an offseason to get his shot form back, and recover from the surgery.

Terrence Ross coming back not as a rookie will hopefully help, heard he's working on his game also.

ADDITIONS:

Andrea Bargnani, whoever he gets traded for, count on Masai Ujiri a great trader to get something done, and hopefully getting into the draft and getting someone that'll help the team in it's needs.

OTHERS:

Quincy Acy
              John Lucas is a great 3rd PG imo.
              Aaron Gray

Seriously, with a training camp, and the chemistry the Raptors have made during the ending of the season, the Raptors are gonna be a team to watch next season. And I'm not even mentioning anything Masai might get done which will most likely improve the team.

.... I guess you could say I'm really excited.
              What you said here, you can pretty much say about any player in the league... which NBA player isn't working on their game in the off-season (apart from Primo)...

Comment

Working...
              X