Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there been too much change and too many people discarded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweet. i HATE johnny davis, was genuinely bothered when he was hired since it seemed like a "hey bud wanna come coach with me " hire and not a "lemme hire some coaches who can help with my weaknesses" one.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

How come Micah Nori keeps making the cut? For me he falls into the "what does he do?" bucket.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        How come Micah Nori keeps making the cut? For me he falls into the "what does he do?" bucket.

He makes sure Tannenbaum's henchmen never get hold of those negatives.

Comment

So apparently they're bringing in Popeye Jones and Nick Nurse. I had to look up Nick, he's the head coach of the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. Sounds like a decent dude:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Nurse
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Weellll, NN does have a ring...albeit from the NBDL, but a ring nonetheless.

Comment

Hmm I wonder if Glen Rice Jr is a option then.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apparently he's very well versed with Patrick Beverly as well hmmmmmm
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I thought of this thread/article from Doug Smith when reading below. I think it is fair to say reporters do get personally involved with a team and the players when they follow each and every game around the US/Toronto for 8 months of year - more like 10 with pre season and free agency. I think it is obvious that Smith had a personal agenda when all the changes were going on this summer.

Anyways, a really interesting piece by BlazersEdge.com on Jason Quick no longer covering the Blazers for the Oregonian newspaper:

Blazersedge: What were the factors that led you to ask off of the Blazers beat over the years?

Jason Quick: "I think it had become stale to me a little bit in a way. I think I just lost faith in a lot of the NBA. I've seen a lot of bull----. From putting your heart and soul into a player and believing him when he talks about kissing his kids at night and all that, then you write that, and the next road trip you see him with somebody that's not his wife, basically getting it on. That's disheartening to me. There's a lot of times where you hear a bunch of bull---- from these guys, it's hard to believe anything.

"There was a time when I really, really enjoyed this beat. 2008-2009, around the time they had the 13-game winning streak [in 2007] and the year after that, that was by far the most fun I ever had at my job. There was a closeness with the team, a drive I had, a vision. But I think what made that special was a bunch of guys on their rookie contracts. I've seen how money changes players, changes their attitudes, so I think over time it eroded the goodwill that I had, pursuing stories because you want to believe what you're writing, you know? There's just too many instances where I would buy into it and down the road realize it was all bull---."
                  Blazersedge: What's your favorite piece that you wrote? I think people will assume it was something to do with Brandon Roy.

Jason Quick: "Yeah, maybe the one when they amnestied him. That was an emotional one. I think I got choked up, I was pretty tight with him through his tenure here. I remember getting a little choked up. [What] I was most proud about that -- that happened at 5 o'clock at night, I think it was an hour and two minute interview and I turned around and wrote that on deadline. I was pretty pleased with that piece.

Blazersedge: Any other reflections on why now is the time to move on?

Jason Quick: "One thing that really hurt was last summer. As far as, 'Why am I doing this? Why am I spending so much time...?'

"Nicolas Batum was probably one of my favorite players on this current team. I felt like we had a really good relationship. When he was going through all that crap, the Minnesota stuff. I ran into him downtown, right there at Director's Square, by the waterfalls and stuff.

"During the interview, his agent Bouna [Ndiaye] calls, what a piece of work he is. Bouna asks him what he's doing and he says, 'I'm talking to Quick.' Bouna tells him, 'Don't, stop talking to him, don't run anything.' Nic gets off the phone, he says, 'My agent doesn't want to run what I just told you.' It was basically the same thing that he told David Aldridge about a month or so later.

"He said, 'But when it comes time, you'll be the first person I'll call.' We shook hands, he put his other hand on our two embraced hands, and he said, 'Trust me. Trust me. Have I ever done wrong by you?' I was like, "Nic, I don't know about this. You said this was on the record and you're asking me not to do it.' He's like, 'Quick, trust me. Have I ever done wrong by you?' His hands are over our hands shaking.

"For the rest of the summer it was nothing. I had his number, texting, calling, all that. The next training camp, he gets back, I don't talk to him. I didn't talk to him until the second game of the year, all through training camp, media day, I didn't say a word to him. He was asking Joe, 'What's wrong with Quick? Is he mad at me? What's going on?'

"Finally we talk in Oklahoma City. He had a s---- game. You can go back and look at what I wrote. He said, 'Are you mad at me?' I said, 'Yeah, you know exactly why.' He said, 'I know, even my girlfriend said it's not right. I'd never been through something like this. My agent was telling me this.' At the end, I got over it.

"It was just like, 'Why trust these guys? Why have faith in these guys?' If there was a guy I trusted and had faith in being a good person it was Nic. That was like, 'What am I investing so much time into this for?' I've given a lot of time to this beat, that was a real... that was when things really started shifting for me.

"The fans too. They piss me off. I feel like I get so much unwarranted ----. A lot of this stuff, I can't say where I'm getting it from. Just trust me. I don't want to get into it. I feel like people don't understand this profession. A lot of times when you're writing stuff, you know it, you just can't reveal who it's coming from."

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/8/20...g-blazers-beat

Comment

Without knowing about Jason Quick, I have to say that I find it hard to picture Doug Smith hanging with the Raps. Just doesn't seem to fit right. A younger writer with more in common (music, video games, etc) may get a real relationship, but with Smith I wonder if it is even as "real" as from this article.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

yeah good article, i think its pretty common for some of these guys to have relationships with members of the team, especially the suits. honestly, i don't see anything wrong with it, but you have to be neutral about it all. can't be throwing a tantrum when someone you like gets fired or someone gets moved on from. that's dougie's problem. what a wanker.

i don't really get the bit about Batum though.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        i don't really get the bit about Batum though.
                        If I had to guess, especially because of the part about Batum discussing it with his girlfriend, I bet it went down like this. Batum tells his agent he promised to let Quick know first, his agent slapped him on his hands and said if we're revealing info it'll be to ESPN, not some dinky beat reporter no one outside of Oregon has ever heard of. Batum obviously did what his agent recommended, as he should, and Quick took it personally.

I guess everyone takes it hard the first time they really see that's it's all just a business.

Comment

right but what was the news? that she was pregnant or something?
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            right but what was the news? that she was pregnant or something?
                            I think it had to do with the offer sheet he signed a couple years back.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Ah
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Instead of a Jason Quick interview, this time it is an article by him. It is another good read.

A snip:

But somewhere in this bizarre transition when everyone has a blog, and people who can write 140 characters are considered journalists, the job lost its allure. Often times it's not about being right, it's about being the loudest. It's not about being good, it's about being first. And it's not about telling the real story, it's about being friends with the players.
                                http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...l#incart_river

Comment

Working...
                                X