As we all know................

CEO MLSE: Tim Leiweke

President AND GM: Masai Ujiri

Assistant GM: Jeff Weltman

VP, Basketball Management and Strategy: Bobby Webster

Director of scouting: Dan Tolzman

Raptors Name Webster VP, Basketball Management & Strategy

By admin, Posted on June 19, 2013

The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have named Bobby Webster as the club’s Vice President, Basketball Management & Strategy. Webster joins the Raptors after working for the NBA league office in New York for the past seven seasons, most recently in the role of Associate Director, Salary Cap Management.

“I am delighted to have Bobby join our basketball operations team,” said Masai Ujiri, Raptors President and General Manager, Basketball Operations. “His skill set will be valuable in a number of areas, and his experience and knowledge of the CBA and its complexities from a League level will be a great asset to the organization.”

Webster brings with him a vast working knowledge of the NBA’s Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). He was part of the NBA league office team that worked with the NBA Labor Relations Committee to negotiate the most recent CBA with the National Basketball Players Association.

While at the NBA, Webster advised front office personnel from all 30 teams on CBA matters related to salary cap and luxury tax planning, player contract negotiations and trade proposals. He also played a lead role in the NBA league office’s player contract analytics efforts.

In his role with the Raptors, Webster will provide his CBA expertise and take on expanded duties that include scouting, player personnel and roster management.

http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...ment-strategy/
    Big time hire it would appear! And good-bye Marc Eversley?

He can play horse:

Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jun 19th, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

wow he's really young
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Add another to the team:

Last edited by Shantz; Wed Jun 19th, 2013 at 12:49 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So Denver Lost GM of the Year, Coach of the Year, Assistant GM, and Coordinator of scouting, Iggy opts out, all before the offseason really begins ? If i was a denver fan (and i used to be when i lived abroad a few years) i'd be scared that fall will be much faster than their rise to 57 win. And we dont even know if Masai is done stealing their scouts.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, all looks good. Appers Ujiri has settled in and things will now move more quickly. Seriously, I have no idea who any of these guys are, so I won't pretend to, but it does appear to be an entirely brand new group taking over the front office. And that's terrific news.

6. Like Eric Akshinthala liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised there still hasn't been a formal announcement made about Gherardini, unless they still like him as an Asst. GM to coordinate their European scouting/recruiting. Even so, I figured they would have made a formal statement whether he's staying or leaving.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea who these guys are but its good that Ujiri is assembling his people fast. Now can we move on to the Elephant in the room and ship Bargnani out????

Post Thanks / Like

The NBA guy sounds like a huge pickup. Working for the league in that capacity for 7 years is no small matter.

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope we become the new Spurs.

11. Like Blacklash2k4, Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the more i read about them the more i love the hires, seems like we might just have a strong front office.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of anyone better to find loop holes in the CBA than someone whom helped to create it. It's the best scenario for a team in our current cap situation. Good hire.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Bobby Webster is a book smart guy looking to get exposure to other areas of basketball management that he cannot get in the head office. What an opportunity for him.

It's great for the Raptors to have a real CBA expert in house.

Both parties gain a lot so it should be a good relationship.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets also hope he has something to say about [not] overpaying players.

16. Like footarez, Blacklash2k4, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    Lets also hope he has something to say about [not] overpaying players.
    If I could like this multiple times, I would.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://blog.raptors.com/a-few-minute...m-masai-ujiri/

Jay Satur: How would you characterize youíre first few weeks back in Toronto?

Masai Ujiri: For me itís exciting. When youíre working, you canít complain. Itís been hectic, but itís been exciting. Itís changed ó obviously teams vary in the NBA ó but Iím here. Iíve gone back and forth (between Denver) a little bit during this transition period with the Nuggets. Thereís been combines you have to go to and all that stuff you have to try and fit in while also coming here and establishing the office and taking care of a lot of stuff that needs to be done. So itís been a whirlwind but itís been fun. Iím excited.

JS: Youíre starting to make some changes to your front office. Are you close to finalizing who you want to bring in to round out your staff?

MU: There are just some places we had to make changes. Thatís what happens in sports. You come in to an organization and youíre going to bring the guys that you feel youíre going to go forward with. Itís unfortunate this stuff is going to happen. Itís hard for me because I worked here, I worked with a few of these people. But the truth of the matter is that going forward, some change is needed. We had to do this.

JS: As of right now, you have no picks in this yearís draft and youíre still assembling your front office staff. How difficult does that make it to prepare for next week?

MU: For me, itís not difficult at all because you approach the draft like you are drafting. Even though we donít have a draft pick, we have to be prepared with all our information, all our rankings and every little detail that you need on players in the draft. I think we have to be very prepared going in because you never know whatís going to happen on draft day. You could get a couple of calls that would shock you, so you have to be prepared for any circumstance.

JS: Youíve also made sweeping changes to your scouting staff. Coming from a scouting background yourself, what needs to change in terms of how this franchise evaluates and scouts at the professional, collegiate and international levels?

MU: One of the things I do is that I donít restrict people to regional scouting and so it cuts my staff down. Some teams do it where theyíd hire regional guys and guys in different areas and Iím a little bit different. I want whoever I have seeing everything. So when we go into a room and we have a discussion, everyone is very honest and has a strong opinion because youíve seen the player or seen the prospect.

So the staff is going to shrink a little bit in those situationsÖ Itís unfortunate that there has to be changes and fewer opportunities in terms of scouting positions, but a smaller staff is how I want to go.

JS: Any updates on the status of head coach Dwane Casey or potential changes to his staff?

MU: Things are on the move and weíre still going through the process. Weíll figure it out and I know thatís a wide-ranging answer. Things have gone well with Coach, weíve had tons and tons of meetings, we have dinner tonight [Tuesday] with Rudy Gay, so weíre moving the right way. As those decisions [with assistants] need to be made, we will make them the best way we feel is heading in the right direction for the organization.

JS: Youíve mentioned your desire for the Raptors to establish an identity. What needs to change with the existing group here and what do you want to potentially bring into the mix to help create that identity?

MU: We want to play hard and give effort. I think it starts with a high-energy team. We do have some talent and we are continue to build off of that, whichever way it is. Whether youíre bringing in pieces to add there or youíre getting more younger players, it doesnít matter. Nobody is going to take away that heart, that passion, the hard work, the intensity with which we play the game. We want to be solid in every single area. There has to be tons of communication and that comes from the front office, to coaching, to players. Itís all of us building that togetherness going forward so when we go to war, we all have each others back.

JS: Finally, weíve heard about the role Bryan Colangelo has played in your development, but I Ďve heard senior adviser Wayne Embry is someone whoís presence you value. How has he helped you?

MU: Heís been awesome. He keeps you grounded. He gives you honest advice. Some people want to just feed you what you want to hear, Wayne is not like that. Heíll tell you how it is.

Just the wealth of experience you get from him and when you bounce something off of him, the response you get and also that other perspective that you wouldnít even think of is what he gives you. Weíre very appreciative to have him with us.

Quite honestly, even when I was in Denver he was a really good sounding board for me. Even for some things outside of basketball and Iím appreciative of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget ...

President, Bryan Colangelo

I noted how Masai mentioned in the article above that he likes to keep a small staff who are not limited to regional scouting. Perhaps this explains the Alvin Williams' situation. Either A) Ujiri did not believe in Alvin Williams' abilities as a scout to put him in his 'small' staff [or] B) Williams was not willing to get his ass off Philly & scout all over the world -- which can be tough for family, etc.

Either way, Masai mentions the idea of establishing an identity for the Raptors -- which is an organization filled with driven & hard working individuals [& it starts from the top]. This is probably why his hires are intriguing since we have not really heard of these names before yet they come with some degree of expertise in the nuances of the game. They are young & relatively unproven individuals so you can bet they will work their asses off in hopes of establishing a personal brand for themselves.

Like I've mentioned before, I think that changes will come in regards to the roster gradually. I don't sense a complete blow up of the roster because then, you wouldn't need all these experts in "salary cap management" -- at least right now. Instead, I think the Raptors will take advantage of market inefficiencies in order to optimize the potential of the roster; timing of the trades, when to extend players, assessing player value, etc.

I'm hoping that good scouting + careful asset management will result into success for the Raptors ... Please !!!!!
    Last edited by torch19; Wed Jun 19th, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
    ďI donít create controversies. Theyíre there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.Ē

-- Charles Barkley

21. Like Bendit, JStockton, Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    Don't forget ...

President, Bryan Colangelo

Don't also forget.....

President AND GM, Masai Ujiri

After the flush in the front office, I really and truly don't believe Colangelo will have ANY say on decisions. He might be asked for input but I think that might be a courtesy and regardless of his answer will likely have little bearing on the given situation. He is collecting a pay cheque while waiting for another opportunity and doing all the non-basketball stuff a front office executive would do for a team.
    Tim Leiweke

24. Like planetmars liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be surprised if Bryan is still with the Raptors by September.

Thread Information