Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65

Thread: Raptors new front office taking shape

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Makes me wonder, if TL gutted the organization from top to bottom, i cant see him not telling Masai to gut the team as well. I cant see him expecting his new crew to work with the same players who underperformed last year, or is he?
    That is a fundamentally large decision and would have been discussed (if it was) during the Ujiri hiring interview. I find it difficult to accept that something like that would have been decided by 2 new individuals without a more in depth understanding of the assets and liabilities of the team. Once MU was hired I dont think TL would impose such basketball centric decisions. That is just not good management and todate that has not been TL's resume.

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Starter phez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Makes me wonder, if TL gutted the organization from top to bottom, i cant see him not telling Masai to gut the team as well. I cant see him expecting his new crew to work with the same players who underperformed last year, or is he?
    leiweke has already said he is not satisfied with the roster. it was actually one of the very first things he said when asked about the raptors. so you can be sure there will be major moves in a couple of weeks.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Starter phez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    anyone else notice that almost nothing is getting leaked now?
    i doubt the media will be probing for these 'lower office' moves. anyways they all seem preoccupied with the finals ...

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    My personal theory there is that keeping Casey was a pretty good indicator that major roster moves wont happen this year. BC has severely tied the hands of Masai on that front. This will be another growth and evaluation year as a lot of people have things to prove ala the new article on the rr home page. I'm not saying anything major wont happen, just that Masai would have to win that fight with both hands tied behind his back
    I don't think the fact that Casey is returning for the last year of his contract is any indication on the direction of the organization. Is it not possible that Casey is being brought back in somewhat of a lameduck role? If the goal is to gut the roster (or start a rebuild of sorts), why would you hire your ideal coach to begin this process when you can ride out the changes and then wash your hands of it by switching coaches at that time.

    This is not to say that the Raptors are moving in a tear-down direction, but I don't think bringing Casey back is any confirmation either way.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote phez wrote: View Post
    leiweke has already said he is not satisfied with the roster. it was actually one of the very first things he said when asked about the raptors. so you can be sure there will be major moves in a couple of weeks.
    We can't be sure of anything, thats the only thing thats for sure.

    Masai's talking about high energy, youthfulness and building off the talent that we have, which could mean a whole lot of things.

    But hey, the finals end tonight so very soon we'll start to see things happen at a very quick speed.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Though I would prefer a tear down and rebuild, I think that TL and MU are going the retooling route. Neither guy is known for rebuilds if I'm not mistaken unless you consider what MU did in Denver as a rebuild which I don't. Also, at the end of the day these two are reporting to someone, and Bell/Rogers doesn't have anyting to profit from a rebuild. The Jays and Leafs are an indicator that they want to win now.

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Starter Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Though I would prefer a tear down and rebuild, I think that TL and MU are going the retooling route. Neither guy is known for rebuilds if I'm not mistaken unless you consider what MU did in Denver as a rebuild which I don't. Also, at the end of the day these two are reporting to someone, and Bell/Rogers doesn't have anyting to profit from a rebuild. The Jays and Leafs are an indicator that they want to win now.
    Denver was a complete rebuild, literally no one who was on the team when Ujiri took over was still on the team this year except Lawson. If the only player who was still a Raptor in 3 years was JV, wouldn't you say the Raptors rebuilt? If that's not a complete rebuild then I don't know what is. Ujiri was just so damn good at rebuilding that people didn't even notice the complete roster overhaul because the team kept winning.

    I think right now Ujiri and Casey are just playing up the value of all of our guys in interviews (see Casey interview where he says Rudy has added 10-15lbs of upper body muscle already), to make it seem like we want to keep them so we have more leverage when trade discussions start.
    I also think Leiweke and MLSE understand that getting a high draft pick in 2014 will be crucial to our long term success, so a semi-tank next year is in the teams long term financial interests. I'm not saying lets purposely lose, but lets deal our more experienced talent to contenders to bring back younger talent and draft picks. Use this season as development and hit the ground running in 2014 with our new stud rookie surrounded by other great young talent.

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Denver was a complete rebuild, literally no one who was on the team when Ujiri took over was still on the team this year except Lawson. If the only player who was still a Raptor in 3 years was JV, wouldn't you say the Raptors rebuilt? If that's not a complete rebuild then I don't know what is. Ujiri was just so damn good at rebuilding that people didn't even notice the complete roster overhaul because the team kept winning.

    I think right now Ujiri and Casey are just playing up the value of all of our guys in interviews (see Casey interview where he says Rudy has added 10-15lbs of upper body muscle already), to make it seem like we want to keep them so we have more leverage when trade discussions start.
    I also think Leiweke and MLSE understand that getting a high draft pick in 2014 will be crucial to our long term success, so a semi-tank next year is in the teams long term financial interests. I'm not saying lets purposely lose, but lets deal our more experienced talent to contenders to bring back younger talent and draft picks. Use this season as development and hit the ground running in 2014 with our new stud rookie surrounded by other great young talent.
    Sure, I see your point, however I consider a rebuilding includes drafting and developing talent. The team Ujiri constructed in Denver was largely composed of established talent.

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Building a good management team by Masai & he has a very good track record. Adding the capologist expee-eert Webster looks good. Good moves, maybe we'll see bobby-ball? a strong front offcie, and more wins! There is work to be done, may they all be up to the tasks.

  10. Like Matt52 liked this post
  11. #50
    Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Nick Nurse to join Toronto as assistant coach?

    http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2013...oronto-raptors

    Didn't see this in any threads so, here.

  12. #51
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nick tries to work guards w/ 3 pts. and run the floor. Very offensive minded.

  13. #52
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wonder if this means anything about Glen Rice Jr.? Nick Nurse was his head coach in the D-league.

  14. #53
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,851
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Raptors Add Tolzman, Resch

    The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have named Dan Tolzman as the club’s director of scouting and Teresa Resch as director of basketball operations.

    “I am excited to welcome Dan and Teresa to our staff,” said Raptors President and General Manager, Basketball Operations Masai Ujiri. “Both possess previous experience that will prove valuable to their positions and our organization.”

    Tolzman will oversee all aspects of the team’s scouting department, including college and professional scouting, talent assessment and related data management. He also will provide input on personnel and roster decisions.

    Tolzman was a member of Ujiri’s staff in Denver, serving as scouting coordinator since 2011. He originally joined the Nuggets organization as a media relations intern in 2004 and was promoted to media relations manager in 2009.

    Resch will serve as the liaison between basketball and team business operations. She also will assist in off-court player development projects.

    Resch returns to the NBA, having spent four years at the NBA League Office from December 2006 – May 2011. While at the NBA, Resch assisted the international basketball operations department in operating Basketball without Borders Camps in four different continents and was instrumental in the establishment of the first camp to feature women campers.

    In her initial role in the NBA domestic basketball operations department, Resch oversaw league roster management and operations of league sponsored events NBA All-Star Weekend, NBA Draft and NBA Draft Combine.
    http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...-resch-070313/

  15. #54
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh great, a woman`s on board...
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  16. #55
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Teresa signing is pretty big. Look at her resume. Not hard to tell the Raptors are going all in on 2016 ASG. Also not hard to tell BC was just replaced, again.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  17. Like Nilanka liked this post
  18. #56
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    Oh great, a woman`s on board...
    this a joke?

  19. #57
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    this a joke?
    Depends on how ya take it! It was meant light-heartedly... just never heard of a woman in the F.O. is all, man.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  20. #58
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    Depends on how ya take it! It was meant light-heartedly... just never heard of a woman in the F.O. is all, man.

    All I care about it is the resume. 4 years at the head office expanding the game globally seems like decent credentials to me. Apologies that you were my target. I've recently become more aligned with feminist thinking.

  21. #59
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Tolzman background is a bit different. His seems to be "media relations" and the career timeline seems to suggest not that a long a period in scouting ...probably about 5 years(?). I suppose he must have impressed Masai in Denver. Never a bad thing I suppose if he goes about scouting unorthodoxly unlike the old timers.

  22. #60
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe she's single and likes stuffing

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •