Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Today Article on Canadian NBA Prospects and (partly) the Raps influence in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Today Article on Canadian NBA Prospects and (partly) the Raps influence in Canada

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...Top+Stories%29

Interesting read about Anthony Bennett, Kelly Olynyk, Basketball in Canada and the Raptors influence on the growth of the sport in Canada.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Nice little write up. A couple of names I wasn't that familiar with.

Comment

Nice article! I wanted to post here a discussion on the subject for some time...
      One name I have not seen in this article is Andrew Nicholson - a very intriguing prospect now playing for the Magic. Looked rock solid from mid range in his games against the Raps. A future lineup of: C.Joseph, Stauskas, Wiggins, Thompson, Olynyk and guys like Bennett, Nicholson, Anthony coming off the bench would be lots of fun to watch. Maybe even stick two or all three (hypothetical) PFs into the starting five with Stauskas and Olynyk coming off the bench and Wiggins at the two... Of course, it is all preliminary talk... since I've never seen these guys play together. Anybody seen this Kabongo dude play? Any other Canucks to watch out for?

Comment

vino wrote: View Post
        Anybody seen this Kabongo dude play?
        He's a strong pass-first point guard, unquestionably good-to-great in terms of basketball IQ and floor sense. That's his upside. His downside is that he's a mediocre shooter at best and currently gives up more turnovers than he should. Think of him as a poor man's Rajon Rondo.

Comment

I didn't see Kabongo play as much as I would have liked to. By the time I started hearing his name he was suspended and I didn't really get a chance to watch him
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I always thought Bill Wellington was Australian. Was Luc Longley Australian?

According to the internet, Longley was the Australian. Learn something new everyday.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

A SI reporter talked to five different NBA scouts on the 2013 draft prospects and did a composite synopsis on each player in this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...aft-prospects/

The Canadian prospects:

Anthony Bennett, 6-8 forward, UNLV: "He got soft as the year went on. Why? His desire to play defense is another question. He's a good athlete but not a great one. He's going to be a better player in the pros than he was in college, because when he was in college he played with selfish teammates."
              Myck Kabongo, 6-3 point guard, Texas: "I'm not feeling him. Never have. He probably should have gone back to Texas, although I don't know if they wanted him back. He's one of the fastest guys in the draft so he's intriguing, but his outside shooting and decision making are concerns. I think he's a project."
              Kelly Olynyk, 7-foot forward, Gonzaga: "He's a big bastard, man. He shoots it. You have to hope you can get an average defender out of him. I'm not sure he wants any kind of contact, and I'm not sure about his mental toughness. He had good numbers this year, but when you look deeper, you ask what bigs did he play against? He was a great interview. Really good dude. I enjoyed talking to him as much as anybody we've met with."
              Last edited by stretch; Tue Jun 25, 2013, 09:17 AM.

Comment

You know who Kabongo really reminds me of?

Ty Lawson

@sweatpantsjer

Comment

Great article.

Another thing that would contribute to the demise of hockey is that it's just too damn expensive, with equipment and all that. Basketball and soccer just need a ball and a net.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                    Great article.

Another thing that would contribute to the demise of hockey is that it's just too damn expensive, with equipment and all that. Basketball and soccer just need a ball and a net.
                    That is my feeling too. I too have never played a game of hockey in my life (road, pond, and tonsil hockey of course) and part of that is the expense of hockey vs basketball and soccer (the 2 sports I did play).

I spent the last 5 years coaching basketball at the Bantam (Grades 7-8) and Midget Boys (Grades 9-10) level and there is a big difference today in the number of kids who are "basketball kids" vs when I played. The cultural shift has started and we are starting to see the fruition of that shift. Before, a lot of kids played basketball on the side, as it fit within their hockey lives, but now, there are tons of kids who just don't take to hockey the way they do to basketball; and I truly believe the Raptors have a lot to do with that. Even in Nova Scotia, these kids know all about Vince Carter's 2000 Slam Dunk Contest and are all basketball fans in a large part to the Raptors, despite never being at a game in their life.

Hopefully Canada can keep the momentum and continue to develop world class basketball players. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to compete for a medal, and the promise of this group is the next big step in Basketball Canada's progress. Steve Nash was the trailblazer in a lot of ways, and his Steve Nash Youth Program for kids early exposure to basketball is great. Hopefully the Raptors can become more involved with the SNYP and turn more youngsters into basketball kids. Imagine if every kid got a Raptors towel, or t-shirt or something when they register for the program. Not only would the Raps be giving back to the Canadian community, but they'd help turn more youngsters to basketball. Little kids will get involved in hockey, largely because of their parents influence. But if a pro team can reach them on an individual level by "giving" them a small token gift, it would go a long way in the mind of a child and differentiate them from hockey teams who must honour their 'territory'.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                    X