No announcement yet.

Summer League 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just wanna say, I love Jonas' fire. He's one of those players that really looks to piss you off during the game.

Great television.

Comment

• Btw, how the hell did DeShaun Thomas fell to the Spurs at 58th?

Saw Thomas play for the Buckeyes the last couple of years and i thought for sure he's going to be picked late 1st round in this year's draft. Worst case scenario early 2nd round. But 58th?? wtf. Spurs got another steal. Thomas is a SF with good size that can light it up from 3pt range.

If there are any NBA teams that are reading this that needs a college basketball scout. Pretty easy to contact me.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        Btw, how the hell did DeShaun Thomas fell to the Spurs at 58th?

Saw Thomas play for the Buckeyes the last couple of years and i thought for sure he's going to be picked late 1st round in this year's draft. Worst case scenario early 2nd round. But 58th?? wtf. Spurs got another steal. Thomas is a SF with good size that can light it up from 3pt range.

If there are any NBA teams that are reading this that needs a college basketball scout. Pretty easy to contact me.
        Spurs have always been lucky getting amazing potential players late in the draft whether it's the 1st round or the 2nd round.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
          Spurs have always been lucky getting amazing potential players late in the draft whether it's the 1st round or the 2nd round.
          It a'int luck but rather selecting the players that best compliment the core of the team.

Comment

• I really thought Ross would have been a lot better, more dominant so far. I know he's got his cramping issues but I'm actually a little concerned. You look at how Lamb has improved his game and then you look at how passive and meh Ross has been, it actually worries me.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Wonder how good Drummond and JV could have been together.

Comment

• Anyone noticed a new tattoo at JV's back?

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  Wonder how good Drummond and JV could have been together.
                  It pains me to think about it. For all the shit we give BC about his FA signings etc. This may be the move (or non-move) that ultimately hurts us the most in the long run.

For some reason it's made worse in my eyes because Doug Smith relentlessly defended leaving Drummond. Still does.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                    It a'int luck but rather selecting the players that best compliment the core of the team.
                    It's not just that either, the coaching perfectly let's their players reach their potential or at least to find their niche. You could put the same player on a different team and they would never reached the heights that they have with the Spurs. The Spurs draft well but they develop even better.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      In 2 games JV is averaging 21Pts, 10Rebs, 1Ast, 0.5Stls and ZERO Blks in 28.5 mins. Shooting .545 FG and .857 FT. I don't think JV will ever be defensive center.
                      BLOCKS =/= DEFENSE

Idk why people can't freaking understand this. Take Serge Ibaka for example, sure he averages 2 or 3 blocks a game, but his defense in the post is terrible and overall he's just average defensively.

I mean look at the last 2 DPOYs

Gasol - 1.7bpg
                      Chandler - 1.1bpg (1.3bpg the year he won)

A block doesn't even necessarily get you a stop either, especially if you're swatting it out of bounds or back to where the other team can get it back.

What's more important defensively is a center's ability to control the paint with their size and force people to miss shots or avoid taking it all the way to the rim. Post defense and pick and roll defense are also far more important. Val's mobility and length give him a chance to be great at all of these things.

I suppose you think Monta Ellis is an elite defender too because he's always top 10 in steals too right?

Defensive prowess is difficult to measure with raw stats.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
                        BLOCKS =/= DEFENSE

Idk why people can't freaking understand this. Take Serge Ibaka for example, sure he averages 2 or 3 blocks a game, but his defense in the post is terrible and overall he's just average defensively.

Gasol - 1.7bpg

A block doesn't even necessarily get you a stop either, especially if you're swatting it out of bounds or back to where the other team can get it.
                        I 100% agree. Defence is about positioning, changing shots and forcing your opponent into low percentage chances. Blocks are just for highlight reels, just as dunks are compared to a layups. I also feel the same way about rebounding. A player might not have great rebounding numbers but if he seals his man and doesn't allow him to get the rebound, it's just as affective. Stats don't tell the whole story.
                        Last edited by saints91; Mon Jul 15, 2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
                          It pains me to think about it. For all the shit we give BC about his FA signings etc. This may be the move (or non-move) that ultimately hurts us the most in the long run.

For some reason it's made worse in my eyes because Doug Smith relentlessly defended leaving Drummond. Still does.
                          I know it's just summer league, but Drummond was a monster for Detroit in their games. Two bigs like JV and Drummond could have set us up for years as one of if not the best front court in the league. Ridiculous potential.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
                            BLOCKS =/= DEFENSE

Gasol - 1.7bpg

A block doesn't even necessarily get you a stop either, especially if you're swatting it out of bounds or back to where the other team can get it back.

What's more important defensively is a center's ability to control the paint with their size and force people to miss shots or avoid taking it all the way to the rim. Post defense and pick and roll defense are also far more important. Val's mobility and length give him a chance to be great at all of these things.

I suppose you think Monta Ellis is an elite defender too because he's always top 10 in steals too right?

Defensive prowess is difficult to measure with raw stats.
                            His a poor pick n roll defender as well. He is a good post the defender but that's it. Not that good of a help side defender. With this type competition he should be able to get a least one block in two games
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              I know it's just summer league, but Drummond was a monster for Detroit in their games. Two bigs like JV and Drummond could have set us up for years as one of if not the best front court in the league. Ridiculous potential.
                              I am not sure that the 2 would be compatible being on the floor together....I was a supporter of drafting him though after missing out on Barnes & Lillard simply because of the unique asset he would have presented either on the team or for future moves. BC's vision was of course to go for a player more ready.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                                I am not sure that the 2 would be compatible being on the floor together....I was a supporter of drafting him though after missing out on Barnes & Lillard simply because of the unique asset he would have presented either on the team or for future moves. BC's vision was of course to go for a player more ready.
                                In my opinion, Drummond's highest value to the Raptors would be as an asset that can be flipped. I can't see Drummond/JV working together as they both would be back to the basket type of posts.

The sad thing is that Drummond would easily fetch an all-star caliber player for a team that is trying to tank. I heard rumblings that Detroit was interested in Rondo, but Boston would only do it if Drummond was on the table (and he's untouchable).

Comment

Working...
                                X