Summer League 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    In my opinion, Drummond's highest value to the Raptors would be as an asset that can be flipped. I can't see Drummond/JV working together as they both would be back to the basket type of posts.

The sad thing is that Drummond would easily fetch an all-star caliber player for a team that is trying to tank. I heard rumblings that Detroit was interested in Rondo, but Boston would only do it if Drummond was on the table (and he's untouchable).
    Exactly. Luckily we now have a GM that thinks in terms of assets rather than in terms of fit.

You always want to draft, trade for and/or sign the player that has the highest value. This is why drafting Ross was silly. Not only was he a bad fit, he was lowly valued around the league and doesn't have any chance of raising that value since he has a far superior player playing his position on the same team.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      I am not sure that the 2 would be compatible being on the floor together....I was a supporter of drafting him though after missing out on Barnes & Lillard simply because of the unique asset he would have presented either on the team or for future moves. BC's vision was of course to go for a player more ready.
      It's hard to say if they are compatible or not. Both Z-Bo and Gasol are "skilled" bigs, but compliment each other so well on the floor. Defensively and on the offensive glass, JV and Drummond would be a nightmare to deal with for opposing teams.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
        Exactly. Luckily we now have a GM that thinks in terms of assets rather than in terms of fit.

You always want to draft, trade for and/or sign the player that has the highest value. This is why drafting Ross was silly. Not only was he a bad fit, he was lowly valued around the league and doesn't have any chance of raising that value since he has a far superior player playing his position on the same team.
        i'm not a huge ross fan either, but your logic is horrible.

Comment

• Summer League is over for Kelly Olynyk but it turns out he has a fan in Kevin McHale.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celti..._olynyk_s_game

“I tell you what, he does some interesting stuff. I was telling our guys that it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a guy get an offensive rebound and just quick lay it over the rim like he did out there. No one else reacted. You play by yourself when you do that, because people aren’t reacting like you are.“He’s learned how to play step-throughs, pump fakes and stuff. I mean, he does a lot of interesting stuff. And for a young kid, he’s got good vision.“He’s just a very nice, nice player. He does a lot of old-school stuff.” - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/celti....XdWro7QR.dpuf

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
            i'm not a huge ross fan either, but your logic is horrible.
            It really isn't.

At best Ross is and was going to be serviceable 3+D type player. When you have a potential star center and/or guys with perceived star potential like Rivers/Lamb on the board, you don't take a role player.

Comment

It really isn't.

At best Ross is and was going to be serviceable 3+D type player. When you have a potential star center and/or guys with perceived star potential like Rivers/Lamb on the board, you don't take a role player.
              I will say this much: it is worth remembering that there were serious concerns about Drummond's ability to transition to the NBA in early 2012 and those stuck. It's partly why he slid so far behind lesser players like Ross, Dion Waiters and Thomas Robinson. Hindsight is 20/20.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                I will say this much: it is worth remembering that there were serious concerns about Drummond's ability to transition to the NBA in early 2012 and those stuck. It's partly why he slid so far behind lesser players like Ross, Dion Waiters and Thomas Robinson. Hindsight is 20/20.
                Agreed. Plus the fact that the Raps already have JV. So it doesn't make sense for them to draft another C.

When the Warriors took Barnes at 7th. The guy that i was hoping the Raps would take at 8th was Rivers. Lamb was my 2nd choice. Ross at 8th was a surprise.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

But that's the sort of logic that saw Kawhi Leonard drop in the previous draft. He was seen as a guy who would be primarily a role-player for his defense, shooting and raw athleticism (not to mention wingspan, the one thing he has that Ross has no chance of developing). Guys like Vesely, Biyombo, Knight, and Walker were seen as being higher-upside assets.
                  And a couple years into his career, that's the sort of role-player he's been. Just at a championship-calibre level. Miami has a couple guys who fit the same mold of role-player. Most championship teams do. Hulking, physical, high-scoring but poor-shooting centres are somewhat less common on championship teams.

And yes, one year into their careers, Drummond is the more valuable asset, because he's developed faster, and overcome many of his potential red flags. But if I'm building a championship team, I'd take a Ross who reaches his full potential over a Drummond who reaches his full potential. One style of player is a problem to build around. The other has a history of fitting on championship teams.

Comment

• Each player is coming off their rookie season. It's way too early to predict who will have the better career. Yes Drummond was physically dominate in his rookie season, but that's not a reflection of his whole career. We have no clue what his potential will be, nor do we with Ross.

As an optimistic fan, I have faith that Ross will live up to or exceed his draft position. I see enough talent in him that I believe he will be something special.

Comment

• Ross needs to calm down and play ball like he is more than capable of doing, Some games he plays so hesitant and "tight" instead of just playing the game, its like Ross suffers from stage fright.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        Ross needs to calm down and play ball like he is more than capable of doing, Some games he plays so hesitant and "tight" instead of just playing the game, its like Ross suffers from stage fright.
                        I don't think its the stage fright he's afraid of, i think its the fact that hes afraid to make a mistake. therefore playing tight or hesitant. Ross used to get sent to the bench after any little mistake. I understand what coach casey was trying to do but when you know your going to be benched, and that your coach doesn't have that trust/ confidence in you its difficult to play your game.
                        What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                        The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                        No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                          I don't think its the stage fright he's afraid of, i think its the fact that hes afraid to make a mistake. therefore playing tight or hesitant. Ross used to get sent to the bench after any little mistake. I understand what coach casey was trying to do but when you know your going to be benched, and that your coach doesn't have that trust/ confidence in you its difficult to play your game.

i agree with this but i also think it's a mans game and he should grow up a bit. he has literally been playing his game his entire life. coach isn't asking him to do anything new. i think a lot is that for the first time he isn't one of the best players out there and is being asked to use his head a bit more. coach wants to trust him and wants to have confidence in him but again he has to earn it. it's all on him

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post

The only serious concern in the draft room was on BC's state of mind after he picked Ross.
                            Just stick to the stuff about hindsight.

edit : I think ross will come good btw. serviceable.

Comment

• Who else has seen this Schroeder kid play? This guy is gonna be really good.

Comment

• The mistakes that Ross got sent to the bench for wasnt his offensive mistakes hes a rookie what do you expec? He got sent to the bench cause he was getting lost on Defense every possession. Ross was a good pick imo, Im pretty sure the original plan was to eventually move DeMar to starting SF and have Ross start as SG with a breakout star Bargnani as the stretch 4 but that didnt pan out.

BC fever dreams. Im not sold on Drummond

Comment

Working...
                                X