Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooklyn Nets are Terribly Short Sighted

83 million between five starters.

Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett can still make an impact but are in the twilight of their career.

Joe Johnson is on the downslope, as is Jason Terry

This is not a model for sustained success. This is Brooklyn buying the chance to compete for two years and then blow it all up.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

How the hell are they short-sighted?

They were already way over the luxury tax anyway, and Prokhorov does not give a damn about paying it. He's running them like a Premier League team, so he really does not care how much he has to pay to field a good roster.

This trade gives them a legitimate chance to make the Eastern Conference Finals for the next few if everyone can stay healthy. After three years KG, Pierce, Terry and Joe Johnson will all have expired (Pierce actually expires next year). Then they can re-tool around Deron and Brook Lopez, and possibly even add a 3rd star to that group from the 2016 FA Pool (which includes Durant, Love, Aldridge etc)

It's a smart move, they got rid of useless assets and grabbed two guys that actually make them a contender for the next couple years.

Comment

The Nets could be the Lakers East next season. I like what the 76ers are doing much better in rebuilding, saying goodbye to Bynum, and making good draft choices.

Comment

I agree that it is shortsighted, but it isn't entirely a bad idea. If they have the resources and a win-now attitude, why not bring in a bunch of stars to go for it all? It's a small window, but it's a window nonetheless. It's not like this will cripple their chances to build after KG and Pierce retire

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
          I agree that it is shortsighted, but it isn't entirely a bad idea. If they have the resources and a win-now attitude, why not bring in a bunch of stars to go for it all? It's a small window, but it's a window nonetheless. It's not like this will cripple their chances to build after KG and Pierce retire
          If it doesn't cripple their chances to build after KG and Pierce retire, how is it shortsighted?

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
            If it doesn't cripple their chances to build after KG and Pierce retire, how is it shortsighted?
            It could be short sighted in that Boston holds the rights to the Nets first round choices in the 2014, 2016, and 2018 drafts. That would hinder tanking in the traditional NBA style.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              Because they are giving themselves a small window instead of a large one. Just because it's shortsighted, doesn't mean its a bad thing

Comment

This deal EXEMPLIFIES Prokhorov's 5-year plan. He wanted to get this franchise a championship within 5 years.

He is now in year 5 of his ownership. This is a "now or never" deal for him.

Besides, I don't think this team can compete for a championship anyways. I see them at the 3-4 spot in the East by the end of 2013-14.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                  How the hell are they short-sighted?

They were already way over the luxury tax anyway, and Prokhorov does not give a damn about paying it. He's running them like a Premier League team, so he really does not care how much he has to pay to field a good roster.

This trade gives them a legitimate chance to make the Eastern Conference Finals for the next few if everyone can stay healthy. After three years KG, Pierce, Terry and Joe Johnson will all have expired (Pierce actually expires next year). Then they can re-tool around Deron and Brook Lopez, and possibly even add a 3rd star to that group from the 2016 FA Pool (which includes Durant, Love, Aldridge etc)

It's a smart move, they got rid of useless assets and grabbed two guys that actually make them a contender for the next couple years.
                  They look good on paper that's for sure. But i'm not buying the hype. Miami is still the team to beat in the East. And i think Indiana and Chicago are also a better TEAM than Brooklyn.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

thead wrote: View Post

Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett can still make an impact but are in the twilight of their career.

This is not a model for sustained success. This is Brooklyn buying the chance to compete for two years and then blow it all up.
                    This is absolutely not a model for sustained success, both in general and at the very least not in a regular market.

But Brooklyn is not a regular market, and they don't have a regular owner. They are without a doubt thinking 'win now', and have quite the star studded cast to do so.

Its going to require some of them (all of them?) to buy into a much smaller role than they are used to. If some of them can't they may turn out to be the classic stacked team that can't play together. If they can, they may turn out to be one of the best teams of all time.

I would hate to see Toronto do what Brooklyn did. But Brooklyn isn't Toronto

Comment

They have to make a new contract for PP.

Comment

1) Brooklyn is STILL not getting by Miami, Chicago, or Indiana
                        2) unsustainable roster, will have to rebuild 2-3 years from now.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Miami is still the favourite to win the East, but I'm not willing to say that there's NO WAY they beat either the Bulls or Pacers, since BOTH those teams have questions that need to be answered, and the Post-season NEVER plays out exactly like you'd expect.

Bulls: How good is D Rose by the time the playoffs come around, he took his time to rehab so you'd hope he's able to recover all of his explosiveness but that isn't a given. Also, they have cap questions (Boozer, Deng) and how those get sorted out could play a big role in them being successful, or not.

Pacers: Still have to figure out how to get some bench players, can they turn Granger into a couple of useful pieces? Can they bring Stevenson off the bench and run a 3-man wing rotation of Granger, George, and Stevenson?

I think that the odds of the Nets winning a championship are low, but if they can get it together I can see them beating (or getting beaten by) the Bulls or Pacers.

FWIW, I do think that the Celtics are better off in the long run, but the Nets are all-in for the next 2 seasons, and it's not like demolishing everything was an option for Poker-ov.
                          Last edited by ezz_bee; Fri Jul 5, 2013, 08:35 AM.
                          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

They took the right tactic

thead wrote: View Post

I think their whole strategy is to be short sighted. They're going all-in right now to win it now. Pierce expires this year, Garnett the year after. It's concievable that they extend Pierce another year or two and Garnett one extra year. Then all those starters expire the same year and they would have the freedome to shuffle the deck.

I like what' they did. They weren't built to win it, so they had two choices:
                            1. Take a step back and hope that they can take two steps forward and have some sort of longevity
                            2. Gamble and take a step forward right now to win it in the next couple years.

They have the market and owner to take such gambles. They took the right tactic in my opinion, but time will tell if they made the right moves.

I think they now have a shot at getting to the finals.

Comment

Looks like AK47 just signed with the Nets. Still am skeptical but it's going to be a tough team to beat.

Comment

Working...
                              X