Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Bill Simmons' 2010 Top-40 Trade Value Ranking (ESPN)

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    839
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bill Simmons' 2010 Top-40 Trade Value Ranking (ESPN)

    Part 1 of the ranking- Link

    Part 2 of the ranking - Link

    Here's a list of 2008-09 incumbents who couldn't crack this season's list or honorable mention:

    Hedo Turkoglu (No. 39 last year) roped Bryan Colangelo into a $53 million "if this doesn't work out, I'm getting fired, anyway" deal ...
    Our toughest 2010 omissions go from "not so tough" to "agonizingly tough":

    Andrea Bargnani: Memo Okur 2.0, with the added bonus that he started a Miami Vice Beard Club with Jose Calderon. Still, I like my starting centers to grab eight rebounds a game. Hell, I'd settle for seven.
    Group C: "It Makes Us Angry That You'd Even Ask"

    12. Chris Bosh: As for Bosh, I hate All-Star Games because nobody tries for three quarters and the game rarely reaches even 40 percent of its potential. Still, it's a must-watch because the cream of the under-30 crop reveals itself in crunch time, and this year, Bosh was the best power forward or center in that game. Period. He has even handled the fact that everyone in America has made the "Wait, he looks like one of the leads in 'Avatar'!" joke at least once nicely. Still, if Dallas called Toronto and said, "We'll take Bosh off your hands for Dirk, this way you won't lose him for nothing this summer," Toronto grabs that offer in a heartbeat … right?
    The 25 worst contracts in the league that have 3-plus years or at least $25 million remaining...

    25. Jose Calderon -- four years, $37.6m

    12. Hedo Turkoglu -- five years, $53m
    I love reading Bill Simmons' work. (In fact, I just got his new book in the mail today).

    His trade value ranking contains some notable Raptors.

    Jose's contract doesn't look too bad even though he's playing back-up minutes. He may be one the most expensive back-up PG's, but he's definitely the best.

    Here's hoping Hedo earns his salary in the playoffs!

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My thoughts on Hedo are if he can't bring it now, what changes when things tighten up and get tougher? I think he needs to start bringing it now.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    -- it's between Warriors fans, Raptors fans and Knicks fans in any "most realistic about their own players" contest --

    Kind of awesome, kind of scary that Raptor fans are grouped with these guys. If you are friends with any NY or GS fans you understand. Sophisticated and knowledgeable. Infinitely jaded.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    what? i read that six times and still dont get it.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "(As for the "least realistic about their own players" contest ... I think it's a battle to the death between two fan bases and two fan bases only. They know who they are.)"

    LOL any guesses?

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Spelled Phonetically:

    Look, I'm the lahhst person to get ovahsensitive about this, and i think you ahhhh totally wrawng, but I know you were ahhh tawking about ow-ah beloved basketball Red Sawx so FAACK YOU YOU FACKING CAWKFACE!"

    Not sure who the other least objective fanbase is, maybe Portland? But the basketball Patriots have to be one of them.
    Last edited by NewRapCity; Tue Feb 16th, 2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: forgot we can swear

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter DarkKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Simmons is easily the best writer and by far the most entertaining. He's completely off base with the Bargnani comparison though - to STILL compare Bargs to Okur and mention Gallinari in the same breath as Dirk is crazy.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NewRapCity wrote: View Post
    "(As for the "least realistic about their own players" contest ... I think it's a battle to the death between two fan bases and two fan bases only. They know who they are.)"

    LOL any guesses?
    As NewRapCity mentioned, Boston, and the other one is the Lakers. Not coincidentally, they are the two most successful teams in NBA history.

    And Bill Simmons obviously hasn't met the Raptor fans who thought Pops would be a rotation player, Ukic would be a future star and that the Raptors were crazy for trading away Kris Humphries because he's irreplaceable.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Rookie Babyface_killah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love reading Bill Simmons he is easily the only reason I still go to ESPN.com (well kind of). Still when reading Simmons stuff you just to take it with a grain of salt, he usually says pretty outrageous stuff (Like Lebron and Bosh both going to the bulls or Lebron heading to LAC).

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TIm W. wrote: View Post
    And Bill Simmons obviously hasn't met the Raptor fans who thought Pops would be a rotation player, Ukic would be a future star and that the Raptors were crazy for trading away Kris Humphries because he's irreplaceable.
    Has ANYONE met Khandor and FAQ?

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    haha, yea if we are in the upper echelon of knowledgeable basketball fans, I truly fear for the bottom of the barrel.

    I love sports guy, but he's gotten lazy in the last couple years. I feel like he watches a guy for five minutes and then labels him for life. Bosh for Dirk? So we can throw out a Turk, Dirk, Bargs and break Shawn Bradleys record for getting dunked on. No thanks.

    How many people would even trade Bargs for Dirk? Your paying more than twice as much money for a few points and rebounds per game. Throw in the seven year age gap, Bargs manageable contract and the fact that he still hasn't hit his peak. I never see Cuban making that deal, but does Bry fall out of his seat trying to make it? Bosh and Dirk together, that actually sounds pretty bad ass. But Bargs not being in the top fifty is pretty ludicrous. I bet Simmons hasn't watched him play in two years.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter DarkKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post
    haha, yea if we are in the upper echelon of knowledgeable basketball fans, I truly fear for the bottom of the barrel.

    I love sports guy, but he's gotten lazy in the last couple years. I feel like he watches a guy for five minutes and then labels him for life. Bosh for Dirk? So we can throw out a Turk, Dirk, Bargs and break Shawn Bradleys record for getting dunked on. No thanks.

    How many people would even trade Bargs for Dirk? Your paying more than twice as much money for a few points and rebounds per game. Throw in the seven year age gap, Bargs manageable contract and the fact that he still hasn't hit his peak. I never see Cuban making that deal, but does Bry fall out of his seat trying to make it? Bosh and Dirk together, that actually sounds pretty bad ass. But Bargs not being in the top fifty is pretty ludicrous. I bet Simmons hasn't watched him play in two years.
    Exactly. And LMAO to "Bosh for dirk? So we can throw out a Turk, Dirk, Bargs and break Shawn Bradleys record for getting dunked on?"

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DarkKnight wrote: View Post
    Exactly. And LMAO to "Bosh for dirk? So we can throw out a Turk, Dirk, Bargs and break Shawn Bradleys record for getting dunked on?"
    Add Calderon and Belinelli and you're looking at a pretty nice whitewash there.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •