Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: The Whisky thread

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Whisky thread

    Since I know there's a lot of dads on here I thought it appropriate to start a Whisky appreciation thread. Be it single malt scotch, bourbon or rye, lets chat about the sweet nectar!

    My wife bought me a bottle of Booker's (bourbon) last night which my friend and I drank half of. I'm burping up bourbon this morning. I regret nothing.

    Nothing better than a glass (or 3) of bourbon on a summer night.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fantastic idea ceez .. recently I've actually discovered the joys of Japanese Whisky.

    Yamazaki 18 - frigging fantastic whisky.

    Last edited by Joey; Sun Jun 30th, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  3. #3
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I used to drink Glenmorangie for a while but I've moved on.


    I'm more a red wine drinker now.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fuck Do I love Whiskey!

    I'm not a big drinker. But, Whiskey has always been a fav of mine
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ahh Whiskey... Not a big fan of it, though it's better than Brandy, quite careful because of one blackout associated with this drink. Could create new hangover movie from that story. Would love to see Beer thread as it would be pretty interesting to see what kind of beer Canadians are drinking and prefering.
    #FREE

  6. #6
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How do you guys drink your whiskey? There have been books written on how it should be consumed. I've tried with a small splash of water, I've tried with ice, I've tried with ginger ale and I've tried with ice cold stone cubes.

    I personally found that it you had a quality whiskey and not the cheap stuff, it was best to have it with a small splash of cool water. With the cheap stuff, I was trying to hide the "flavor" and in that case it wasn't a crime to hit it with ginger ale.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    How do you guys drink your whiskey? There have been books written on how it should be consumed. I've tried with a small splash of water, I've tried with ice, I've tried with ginger ale and I've tried with ice cold stone cubes.

    I personally found that it you had a quality whiskey and not the cheap stuff, it was best to have it with a small splash of cool water. With the cheap stuff, I was trying to hide the "flavor" and in that case it wasn't a crime to hit it with ginger ale.

    The simplest way to improve the bite of hard liquor is store it in your freezer.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like a single malt, and had the pleasure of opening a bottle of Glen Breton recently, very nice stuff and made in Canada.

    I like mine on a glass of ice, as the whisky cools and the ice melts just a bit the drink is at its best for me.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    How do you guys drink your whiskey? There have been books written on how it should be consumed. I've tried with a small splash of water, I've tried with ice, I've tried with ginger ale and I've tried with ice cold stone cubes.

    I personally found that it you had a quality whiskey and not the cheap stuff, it was best to have it with a small splash of cool water. With the cheap stuff, I was trying to hide the "flavor" and in that case it wasn't a crime to hit it with ginger ale.
    Coke/Pepsi(I have a slight preference to pepsi), or Root beer and one ice cube.

    Btw, what does being a dad have to do with whiskey? I'm failing to make the connection..
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Coke/Pepsi(I have a slight preference to pepsi), or Root beer and one ice cube.

    Btw, what does being a dad have to do with whiskey? I'm failing to make the connection..
    I think that most "dads" are older and have moved on from drinking out at the clubs and to party, to sipping drinks and appreciating the flavours more. I use to destroy a bottle of Canadian Club and ginger ale back in the day, now my tastes have refined and when and why I drink have changed.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,846
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Damn you guys are old. I should get my Dad on this thread lol

  12. Like isaacthompson liked this post
  13. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Damn you guys are old. I should get my Dad on this thread lol
    Don't include me in that, man. I'm pretty sure I'm only a few years older than you. haha
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  14. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Fantastic idea ceez .. recently I've actually discovered the joys of Japanese Whisky.

    Yamazaki 18 - frigging fantastic whisky.

    ive heard mixed reviews on japanese whisky, but i would like to try some. i heard they're not particularly peaty though, i love me some peat.
    @jerboat

  15. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    How do you guys drink your whiskey? There have been books written on how it should be consumed. I've tried with a small splash of water, I've tried with ice, I've tried with ginger ale and I've tried with ice cold stone cubes.

    I personally found that it you had a quality whiskey and not the cheap stuff, it was best to have it with a small splash of cool water. With the cheap stuff, I was trying to hide the "flavor" and in that case it wasn't a crime to hit it with ginger ale.
    Scotch: i try scotch neat, try to get a sense of what its about. Then i'll add a few drops of water to open it up. Usually the water will open the alcohol up and you'll get a better taste of it. There's some scotches that don't need any water as they're pretty soft in general. Good rule of thumb when trying a new scotch is to throw a tiny bit of water in to see how it opens it up.

    Bourbon: I drink bourbon with a single ice cube. Ive been looking for one of those ice cube trays that makes the big round cube (cube?) because it melts slower but haven't found one that isn't a tray for a single cube. I've been known to drink half a bottle a night sometimes so you can see where that wouldn't suit me. I like my bourbon on ice because something about it at room temp doesn't really do it for me. Too "burney" if that makes any sense at all.

    Rye: Same as bourbon, basically. i'll drink it on ice. throw some on 3 ice cubes, whatever. who cares, it's rye.

    I don't like whisky rocks in general, something about them really bothers me. not to mention they don't actually do much of anything. and i would never mix a decent bottle of anything with soda or whatever. maybe with rye i guess. forty creek copper pot with a little ginger ale is close to godliness, actually. i usually buy a bottle of that when i go fishing, its nice on ice or mixed. forty creek makes some amazing stuff. all relatively cheap, too. their confederation whisky is glorious.
    @jerboat

  16. #15
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Btw, what does being a dad have to do with whiskey? I'm failing to make the connection..
    I don't follow?

  17. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    also don't put scotch in the freezer that's bush league
    @jerboat

  18. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,846
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Don't include me in that, man. I'm pretty sure I'm only a few years older than you. haha
    besides you of course lol

  19. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Ive been looking for one of those ice cube trays that makes the big round cube (cube?) because it melts slower but haven't found one that isn't a tray for a single cube.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Spher...=pd_sim_misc_4

    i once found disposable ice bags, that you fill up with water, and it makes spherical cubes... albeit, kinda small and they come out misshapen a bit... so probably not ideal

  20. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I could kiss you, Heinz
    @jerboat

  21. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Making me miss Edinburgh and my lack of memories.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •