The Whisky thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Whisky thread

Since I know there's a lot of dads on here I thought it appropriate to start a Whisky appreciation thread. Be it single malt scotch, bourbon or rye, lets chat about the sweet nectar!

My wife bought me a bottle of Booker's (bourbon) last night which my friend and I drank half of. I'm burping up bourbon this morning. I regret nothing.

Nothing better than a glass (or 3) of bourbon on a summer night.
    @sweatpantsjer

Fantastic idea ceez .. recently I've actually discovered the joys of Japanese Whisky.

Yamazaki 18 - frigging fantastic whisky.

Last edited by Joey; Sun Jun 30, 2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I used to drink Glenmorangie for a while but I've moved on.

I'm more a red wine drinker now.

Comment

Fuck Do I love Whiskey!

I'm not a big drinker. But, Whiskey has always been a fav of mine
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Ahh Whiskey... Not a big fan of it, though it's better than Brandy, quite careful because of one blackout associated with this drink. Could create new hangover movie from that story. Would love to see Beer thread as it would be pretty interesting to see what kind of beer Canadians are drinking and prefering.
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

How do you guys drink your whiskey? There have been books written on how it should be consumed. I've tried with a small splash of water, I've tried with ice, I've tried with ginger ale and I've tried with ice cold stone cubes.

I personally found that it you had a quality whiskey and not the cheap stuff, it was best to have it with a small splash of cool water. With the cheap stuff, I was trying to hide the "flavor" and in that case it wasn't a crime to hit it with ginger ale.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              How do you guys drink your whiskey? There have been books written on how it should be consumed. I've tried with a small splash of water, I've tried with ice, I've tried with ginger ale and I've tried with ice cold stone cubes.

I personally found that it you had a quality whiskey and not the cheap stuff, it was best to have it with a small splash of cool water. With the cheap stuff, I was trying to hide the "flavor" and in that case it wasn't a crime to hit it with ginger ale.

The simplest way to improve the bite of hard liquor is store it in your freezer.

Comment

I like a single malt, and had the pleasure of opening a bottle of Glen Breton recently, very nice stuff and made in Canada.

I like mine on a glass of ice, as the whisky cools and the ice melts just a bit the drink is at its best for me.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Coke/Pepsi(I have a slight preference to pepsi), or Root beer and one ice cube.

Btw, what does being a dad have to do with whiskey? I'm failing to make the connection..
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                    Coke/Pepsi(I have a slight preference to pepsi), or Root beer and one ice cube.

Btw, what does being a dad have to do with whiskey? I'm failing to make the connection..
                    I think that most "dads" are older and have moved on from drinking out at the clubs and to party, to sipping drinks and appreciating the flavours more. I use to destroy a bottle of Canadian Club and ginger ale back in the day, now my tastes have refined and when and why I drink have changed.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Damn you guys are old. I should get my Dad on this thread lol

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        Damn you guys are old. I should get my Dad on this thread lol
                        Don't include me in that, man. I'm pretty sure I'm only a few years older than you. haha

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Fantastic idea ceez .. recently I've actually discovered the joys of Japanese Whisky.

Yamazaki 18 - frigging fantastic whisky.

ive heard mixed reviews on japanese whisky, but i would like to try some. i heard they're not particularly peaty though, i love me some peat.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Scotch: i try scotch neat, try to get a sense of what its about. Then i'll add a few drops of water to open it up. Usually the water will open the alcohol up and you'll get a better taste of it. There's some scotches that don't need any water as they're pretty soft in general. Good rule of thumb when trying a new scotch is to throw a tiny bit of water in to see how it opens it up.

Bourbon: I drink bourbon with a single ice cube. Ive been looking for one of those ice cube trays that makes the big round cube (cube?) because it melts slower but haven't found one that isn't a tray for a single cube. I've been known to drink half a bottle a night sometimes so you can see where that wouldn't suit me. I like my bourbon on ice because something about it at room temp doesn't really do it for me. Too "burney" if that makes any sense at all.

Rye: Same as bourbon, basically. i'll drink it on ice. throw some on 3 ice cubes, whatever. who cares, it's rye.

I don't like whisky rocks in general, something about them really bothers me. not to mention they don't actually do much of anything. and i would never mix a decent bottle of anything with soda or whatever. maybe with rye i guess. forty creek copper pot with a little ginger ale is close to godliness, actually. i usually buy a bottle of that when i go fishing, its nice on ice or mixed. forty creek makes some amazing stuff. all relatively cheap, too. their confederation whisky is glorious.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                              I don't follow?

Comment

Working...
                              X