Raptors coaching staff makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    ..."best money can buy" mantra is in effect.
    I have believed for years that the cheapest way for a sports team to get better is to hire the best coaches, trainers, player development people, etc. so that your athletes can be the best they can be. How many professional, and particularly Olympic athletes suddenly manage significant breakthroughs when they change coaches/trainers. It happens so often that it is a cliche.

The difference between Toronto's 18th place finish and Indiana's 8th place finish is a five point differential in scoring. (which reflects both offence and defense). So essentially a 5% difference. By removing Bargs, and making incremental improvements, the Raps are in the playoffs, in this simplified example. Not that it is that simple, or that anyone is satisfied with 8th, but anytime you can improve your team and players, by spending money outside of the players salaries, why wouldn't you do it.

That hyper cooling treatment is one example. Alex McKechnie is another. Loading up on excellent assistants, scouts and analytics guys would also seem to be no brainers.

Comment

• I think MLSE and Ujiri have setup a very high paying operation with high risk. All of the staffers we've pulled in have a history of success and very specific attributes to make teams, and players better.

I'm very excited for this coming season. We have a backcourt and frontcourt development asst. defensive and offensive coordinators, as well as the individual player development coaches that we are keeping from last year.

This really puts the pressure on Casey. There are no more excuses.

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
        This really puts the pressure on Casey. There are no more excuses.
        I agree with this. I think in Masai not extending him, he agrees with this. Casey's future is up to him this season
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• There are a few threads going on with regards to assistant coaches.....

Quick review:

Tom Sterner and John Townsend - working with players in Vegas and appear to be returning

Nick Nurse - confirmed

Bill Bayno - confirmed

Jesse Mermuys - rumoured and worked with Houston last year after spending four years in.........

Mermuys bio when hired by Houston:

Mermuys comes to Houston after spending the past four seasons with the Denver Nuggets. He joined the Nuggets as assistant video coordinator prior to the 2008-09 campaign. After one season in that role, he became the Nuggets advance scout where he was responsible for scouting upcoming opponents throughout the league and also held player development responsibilities. He was elevated to assistant coach/advance scout for the 2011-12 campaign. A graduate of the University of Arizona, Mermuys served as director of basketball operations for the Wildcats from 2006-08. Before his time with Arizona, Mermuys was the video coordinator at New Mexico State University and was an assistant basketball coach at Southern Utah University during the 2005-06 season.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/rock...and-promotions

Comment

• Maybe a mod could change thread title to 2013-14 Assistant Coaches.... or something like that.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Maybe a mod could change thread title to 2013-14 Assistant Coaches.... or something like that.
              HEY! HEY!

Mods! Admin!

Look at me!

Comment

• I bet if we got two girls in here to make out they'd pay attention, Matt.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                  I bet if we got two girls in here to make out they'd pay attention, Matt.
                  That could be arranged.

I know a site.....

Sadly I got thead's attention with a thumbs up yet the title stays the same. Well, I tried.

Comment

• seems to me like they have a really solid coaching staff in place, like, to the point where Casey is going to have a hard time fucking it up.

i'm not saying it's not impossible though

but i am saying it really wouldn't shock me if they let Casey walk at the end of the this year, promoted Bayno or Nurse to HC and let the train keep chugging. see who the players respond to the most, that kind of thing.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Does anyone know whats happening with doug christie? He could make a good former player coach and has the talents we want from our wingmen. I actually have no idea what the qualifications for players are. Do they nees to have a degree or just have played in the league ao they can relate to the current crop of players?

What is the actual value od having a former player as an assistant?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        Does anyone know whats happening with doug christie? He could make a good former player coach and has the talents we want from our wingmen. I actually have no idea what the qualifications for players are. Do they nees to have a degree or just have played in the league ao they can relate to the current crop of players?

What is the actual value od having a former player as an assistant?
                        His wife may disqualify him I am afraid.

Comment

• high IQ player coaches would be guys like guys like Nash, Grant Hill, Shane Battier etc when they retire
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                            high IQ player coaches would be guys like guys like Nash, Grant Hill, Shane Battier etc when they retire
                            So that's a no to Chris Childs?
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Ron Adams to Celtics.

Comment

• Just saw this from a few days ago.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/25...-raptors-big-v

"The team announced further changes to Dwane Casey’s staff on Thursday.

Bill Bayno has officially left the Minnesota Timberwolves and will focus on Toronto’s defence, which slipped significantly last season, a year after the team surprisingly emerged as a defensive force during Casey’s initial campaign....Casey said there will be a major focus on player development this season.

“Bill Bayno is one of the best in the league as far as player development (is concerned),” Casey said in a conference call.

“I’ve known Bill for a long time. He did an excellent job of working with guys, developing players.

“Jesse (Mermuys, hired away from Houston) did a good job (during his four years in) Denver, and working with James Harden in Houston, he has a good relationship with players.”

Mermuys was an assistant coach/director of player development with the Rockets."

Comment

Working...
                                X