Raptors coaching staff makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors coaching staff makeover

Could he be the offensive coordinator that we wanted for this team??
    Tank
    38.89%
    Build
    61.11%

The poll is expired.

Just so moderators don't move or change my thread again.....-_-"

The #Raptors have asked for permission to speak with #celtics asst. Tyronn Lue for position on Dwane Casey's staff, according to Danny Ainge

Comment

If you are wondering where this thread came from as I was, here you go:

Gary Washburn: The #Raptors have asked for permission to speak with #celtics asst. Tyronn Lue for position on Dwane Casey's staff, according to Danny Ainge Twitter @GwashNBAGlobe
      Lue's playing career:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...l/luety01.html

In 2009 named Celtics Director of Player Development:
      http://nesn.com/2009/10/celtics-name...l-development/

Named assistant coach in 2011.

2012 Summer League coach:
      http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb..._league_coach/

Tyronn Lue begins his fourth season with the Celtics and his second as an assistant coach. He previously served as the Director of Basketball Development from 2009-11. Lue joined the team prior to the start of the 2009-10 season.

Lue, a member of the 2000 and 2001 Los Angeles Lakers NBA Championship teams, played in the NBA for 11 seasons and appeared in 554 career games. Originally drafted by the Denver Nuggets with the 23rd overall pick in the 1998 NBA Draft, he was then traded to the LA Lakers. Lue is a native of Mexico, Missouri. At Nebraska, Lue averaged 15.9 points and 4.4 assists in his three-year career as a Cornhusker and left the program ranking third in assists (432), fourth in three-pointers made (145), fifth in steals (154) and seventh in points (1,577). Lue was named First Team All-Big 12 his junior season after averaging 21.2 points and 4.8 assists.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/roster/co...yronn-lue.html

Funny link click it for more than text below and pictures!!! Yes a picture story!!:
      http://aidanfromworcester.com/2013/0...the-front-row/

Doc Rivers seems like a really nice and personable guy. During his coaching career in Orlando and Boston he’s developed a reputation as a “player’s coach”. He walks a fine line between being a player’s friend and mentor. As a result he gets a lot of respect, particularly from the veterans. Perhaps he’s a little too friendly though.

Doc has a tendency to have heart-to-hearts, and long embraces at midcourt before and after games with anyone over the age of 35 on the other team. He tells them to come coach with him when they retire. We’ve all been in a position similar to this before. Some acquaintance says, “give me a call sometime man”, and you say, “yea definitely”, knowing full well you will not be calling them. That’s basically what Doc is thinking when he tells players to come coach for him. Low and behold in 2009 someone took him up on his offer. Rivers got a call from Tyronn Lue, a former player he coached in Orlando in 2003. Lue was 32 in 2009 and was at the stage of his career where he was becoming Chris Wilcox. The Magic had just given up Keith Bogans and a Big Mac for him.

This is Lue’s version of the encounter:

“Doc said he thought I could be a great coach some day, and when I was done playing I could be on his staff any time,” Lue said. “When I was done I called him, and he had a job for me in three days.”

So apparently Doc can just make jobs up. Here’s his version of the encounter:

“I told him when you’re ready to stop trying to play basketball and you want to come sit on the bench and join us, we’ll create it,” Rivers said. “No matter how many coaches we have, I’ll get you a job.”

Celtics were only 18th in PPG and 24th in OffRtg but they certainly move and share the ball.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
        Just so moderators don't move or change my thread again.....-_-"

The #Raptors have asked for permission to speak with #celtics asst. Tyronn Lue for position on Dwane Casey's staff, according to Danny Ainge
        Try giving a web address to link to source.

Comment

Should I have an opinion of this?

Does it mean Casey is quite safe?

I guess I'm cool with it. He played under good coaches and has been an assistant on the staff of one of my favorite coaches. Sure, maybe he'll bring some much needed skills to the coaching staff.

Comment

Yeah, Boston certainly doesn't jump into my head as an offense that obviously fits the personnel we have, but if he's a good basketball mind, then no harm in inquiring.

However, just to throw fuel on that other fire, Lue did play for Phil Jackson in LA.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
              Yeah, Boston certainly doesn't jump into my head as an offense that obviously fits the personnel we have, but if he's a good basketball mind, then no harm in inquiring.

However, just to throw fuel on that other fire, Lue did play for Phil Jackson in LA.

I don't know why it took me so long to realize that.

Just about to say the same thing.

Speculation is fun.

Comment

Yeah, in a lot of ways it makes little sense. Presumably any inquiry about a coaching candidate would come from the GM. And it's unlikely that BC would be interested in acquiring a piece that would make Toronto more appealing to the guy that the organization wants to replace him with. Is it possible there's nothing to the interest in Lue other than that the Raptors just like him as an assistant coach and this has nothing to do with Jackson? Is it possible BC is trying to play along with the Jackson situation and wants to show he can coexist with another major basketball mind? Is it possible that BC is already dead in the water and this directive is coming from higher up, with the Jackson era already underway behind the scenes and Lieweke putting together a list of coaching candidates for Jackson to interview when he comes on board later next week?

Comment

From 2009:

Lakers fans have fond memories of Lue, who stepped up his defense on Allen Iverson in the NBA Finals in 2001, helping Los Angeles hang another banner. Plus, Phil Jackson likes to bring in players who already know his triangle offense and do not need a mid-season crash course.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sp...-Lue-Back.html

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    From 2009:
                    ogod raptors playing triangle. lord save me now

Comment

This is a pointless endeavour, we all know TLue only goes to glamour cities.

Comment

Is it possible that BC is already dead in the water and this directive is coming from higher up, with the Jackson era already underway behind the scenes and Lieweke putting together a list of coaching candidates for Jackson to interview when he comes on board later next week?
                        With a decision on BC only a few days away, it doesn't make sense that Raps. would have bypassed BC and contacted Lue. I could be wrong but the sense I'm getting is that Lue is BC's idea and this means that BC is staying.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Wait long enough and the truth starts coming out:

In Boston, Celtics president Danny Ainge told reporters the Raptors had sought permission to speak with assistant Tyronn Lue, who has been out of the NBA long enough to distance himself from players, but at the same time maintain a pulse on today’s modern player.

One of the many issues surrounding the Raptors last season was communication.

Many felt there was a disconnect between the coaching staff and the players, an issue that led to dysfunction.

Lue played the point, a position that was handed over to Kyle Lowry once Jose Calderon was dealt in the three-team deal that landed Rudy Gay.

Colangelo made it abundantly clear in his media availability following the Raptors’ season that Dwane Casey would be back, assuming Colangelo would be back.

All along, it seems there was an understanding that changes to Casey’s staff would be initiated.

What remains to be seen is what becomes of Johnny Davis, who first became Casey’s assistant when Casey got his first head coaching gig in Minnesota.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/11...-colangelo-now

Good night, Johnny?

Interesting.

Kind of kills a lot of the other speculation, no? That is no fun.

Comment

I like the idea of bringing in a new, more successful assistant coach.

Comment

The Raptors need help with the offense. Too much of very predictable isos for Rudy.

Comment

Working...
                              X