No announcement yet.

Raptors coaching staff makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivers is also said to be intrigued now by some of the high profile jobs that are — or could be — available. According to one source, it’s fair to assume he would want to be more than just the coach were he to move on, gaining some measure of control over player personnel in the process.

But, again, such a change of address would require that team providing compensation to the Celtics, who clearly see Rivers as a valuable asset.
    Source: Boston Herald

Sounds like it would be very expensive to get it done. Ujiri would have to name him to the executive team as well; maybe head coach/Vice President of basketball operations... And he would have to be paid like three times what Ujiri is making. Hmmm... How bad do you want to win MLSE?

Comment

• Rivers is paid about 6-7 mill/per. And yes Ainge is going to extract compensation ...prob. a draft pick. No thanks.

I am all for Casey hanging around for MU and him to bond and be evaluated at the same time for MU to feel comfortable. I am also not sure how much of an influence BC had on some of Casey's on court moves. I also dont believe the high profile coaches would particularly care to coach a team like the Raps unless it is shown over the next year that all the platitudes expressed by MU & Leiweke are going to be acted upon.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
        Rivers is paid about 6-7 mill/per. And yes Ainge is going to extract compensation ...prob. a draft pick. No thanks.
        The article said money. Are there known examples of teams giving up draft picks for coaches?

Comment

• The key is that he is looking for a high profile coaching job. Nothing about Toronto's situation right now is high profile. I'm sure there would be no issue with giving him some say in personnel decisions if he were willing to coach the Raptors. But again, he is one of the best coaches in the league and will have much better suitors.

I'd be happy, no thrilled if we could land Karl or Rivers, but it's but a pipe dream right now. With our luck, Rivers will get the Lakers job handed to him and we'll end up with D'Antoni.

Comment

• If true that depends on his perception of "high profile". Toronto is in the basketball news a lot, it's just usually negative. However, with deep pocket owners and new strong management team, who knows how he perceives Toronto? More likely than not negative but you never know. No doubt there are better destinations but timing is everything.

Comment

• man i just watching some triangle offense videos
              it would be sweet o watch raptors run that with amir+jv+gay/dd

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                man i just watching some triangle offense videos
                it would be sweet o watch raptors run that with amir+jv+gay/dd
                Which teams and years?

Comment

• 2010~ lakers
                  gasol, kobe, odom ran it so well

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    The article said money. Are there known examples of teams giving up draft picks for coaches?
                    Not that I know of but if there is no rule against it there can be a first time. Pro sports tends use draft picks as penalty/compensation for wrongs committed by orgs. Not the same but the BluJays manager bolted to the RSox in return for a player last year.

Comment

• Maybe but I'd tend to think they would ask for money. That being because that seems to be the industry expectation and they don't want a guy coaching their team who doesn't want to be there.

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                        2010~ lakers
                        gasol, kobe, odom ran it so well
                        Have a read of the following and you may reevaluate the current Raptor crew having the skill set to be successful using that system....including the coach quite possibly.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...iangle-offense

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Rivers is not interested in going through a rebuild with Boston. If both Masai and TL are saying the Raptors are not built to compete for a championship, I'm not sure Doc would consider Toronto at this time.

But if I could choose between Doc Rivers and Dwane Casey, I am not sure there is any doubt who to go with.
                          I don't agree with that. When he signed that five year contract extension there was already talk of starting a rebuild in Boston; it has already lasted a year or two longer before than most people expected and at the time he signed that contract it was pretty much evident that he would be there for the rebuild. It's been a few more years now, and maybe he wants another challenge or maybe he changed his mind, but that's more guessing than anything else (and more than the first sentences of my post).

Comment

Have a read of the following and you may reevaluate the current Raptor crew having the skill set to be successful using that system....including the coach quite possibly.

Great article. Thanks for the link.

Actually, the article would seem to say you don't need great individual talents to run the Triangle, but you do need to get up and down the floor. The Raps can do that. And they need to spend a lot of time working on it. Some of the Raps can do that.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              I don't agree with that. When he signed that five year contract extension there was already talk of starting a rebuild in Boston; it has already lasted a year or two longer before than most people expected and at the time he signed that contract it was pretty much evident that he would be there for the rebuild. It's been a few more years now, and maybe he wants another challenge or maybe he changed his mind, but that's more guessing than anything else (and more than the first sentences of my post).
                              OK. But I am just stating what the rumours about his uncertainty moving forward have been saying.

Comment

i actually read that just today too. i did actually google "why dont teams run triangle anymore"

but imo the article just shows how apologetic people can be for players and coaches. there [should] be no such thing as "impatient" "too hard" when you are making millions of dollars at the highest level of sport. if there is a true winning culture, players will do anything for the system.

it goes to show how low in the gutter some teams are in the league when they settle for average coaches, average players, and average (losing?) winning records.

Comment

Working...
                                X