Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors to use the "stretch provision" on Fields!

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors to use the "stretch provision" on Fields?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...ent-storylines

Interesting. So we can buy him out and use the stretch provision to half his salary but double his contract year plus one year. So his new contract would be $2.5 million per year for five years. We can now sign more free agents. Not a bad move by TL and MU. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Sun Jun 30th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to make it clear: this would involve waiving Fields. The only thing it changes is how his salary affects our cap/luxury tax numbers.

Personally, I don't see much point in waiving him this summer. It wouldn't get us under the cap anyway, assuming the Bargnani/Novak/Camby trade goes through we're under the tax line, and he might come back this year having found his jump shot again. Then he can be waived next summer if he still sucks. And if we use it this year we'd have him on the books for $2.5 mil per year until 2018; using it next year he'd only count $2.1 mil, and would expire in 2017.

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    Just to make it clear: this would involve waiving Fields. The only thing it changes is how his salary affects our cap/luxury tax numbers.

Personally, I don't see much point in waiving him this summer. It wouldn't get us under the cap anyway, assuming the Bargnani/Novak/Camby trade goes through we're under the tax line, and he might come back this year having found his jump shot again. Then he can be waived next summer if he still sucks. And if we use it this year we'd have him on the books for $2.5 mil per year until 2018; using it next year he'd only count $2.1 mil, and would expire in 2017.
    I see what you're saying, but that leads me to beleive that Masai and Casey are banking on Ross big time for next season. with Novak as the 4th wing or vice versa.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    I see what you're saying, but that leads me to beleive that Masai and Casey are banking on Ross big time for next season. with Novak as the 4th wing or vice versa.
    Or, theyre inching closer to tank mode.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never even heard of this. What the hell?

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    I've never even heard of this. What the hell?
    same here. confused

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's new in the new CBA. Previously, teams could buy out contracts and restructure them however they wanted (as long as the player agreed), and the cap hit would be on the restructured deal. That led to some cap-wrangling deals, and the owners felt it was kinda unfair--but many of them still wanted the ability to do some amount of restructuring. So they just made it so that all restructured contracts had to follow the same template, so that no one team could gain an advantage by having deep pockets.

Post Thanks / Like

From Larry Coon's website explaining the new CBA http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q63

Individually negotiated revisions to the payment schedule are not allowed for contracts signed or extended under the current CBA2. For these contracts or extensions the remaining guaranteed salary for a waived player is "stretched" and paid in equal amounts over a greater time span, as follows:

If the player is waived from July 1 to August 31, then his remaining salary is paid over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For example, if the player is waived on August 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.3 million, respectively, then his remaining salary is paid over five years (two seasons times two, plus one), in even amounts of $4.1 million per year.
    If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year.
    I can't beleive i never heard of that before. I forgot the name of that cap guy masai hired, but i want to make out with him right now.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    From Larry Coon's website explaining the new CBA http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q63

I can't beleive i never heard of that before. I forgot the name of that cap guy masai hired, but i want to make out with him right now.
    The snippet here makes me believe it would be based on Fields' owed salary numbers over hte next two years, 5.225 and 8.5, and not the caphit number of 6.25 per.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait, does the stretch provision half salary or cap value? Fields' contract counts for 6.25 million (per hoopsworld) as a caphit per year, but his salary was backloaded to be worth 8.5 million in his last year (if hoopshype is right). I'm pretty sure if it's the latter, it makes more sense to do it now than to wait a season.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's speculation.. nothing official. I know about the stretch provision, but I don't think it makes sense to use it on Fields, not until we see what he can give us this year. He will no longer be on the team once waived, so it's losing an asset for nothing. And he only has 2 years left.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    It's speculation.. nothing official. I know about the stretch provision, but I don't think it makes sense to use it on Fields, not until we see what he can give us this year. He will no longer be on the team once waived, so it's losing an asset for nothing. And he only has 2 years left.
    I partially agree with this, but if it's a move that Ujiri is doing specifically to open up cap space for another signing or move, then it makes sense. In a vacuum though, yeah I don't like giving up young assets for nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if the normal off-set rules still apply? I mean, even a new contract at 1.5 million per would reduce the Raptors commitment to about a million.

Post Thanks / Like

If i understood correctly:

2013-2014 : 5.225 Mil
    2014-2015 : 8.500 Mil

If we use it this year its: 2.725 mil over 5 years
    If we use it next year its : 2.833 over 3 years

Considering he's young and has more upside than he has shown (hopefully) if a team was to claim him and take the contract off our hands i dont think it makes a difference now or later,its a reasonable contract for a long period of time.

and if we do it now MLSE saves 5 million, unless he doesnt get claimed.

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean we would get to keep Fields without having to put up with his horrible contract? Because Landry would be a great guy to have for 2.5mil.

Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone please confirm!!!

Is Landry now going to be had for 2.5mil per?!
    Thats freaking fantastic! That makes BCs' poison pill contract look brilliant in hindsight (load up the contract so Knicks cant resign, then stretch the contract to make salary cap room!)
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post

Thats freaking fantastic! That makes BCs' poison pill contract look brilliant in hindsight (load up the contract so Knicks cant resign, then stretch the contract to make salary cap room!)
    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Does this mean we would get to keep Fields without having to put up with his horrible contract? Because Landry would be a great guy to have for 2.5mil.
    No, we would have to waive him, another team would benefit from that new contract. we would be giving him away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post

No, calm down. It's waiving him. They don't get to keep him. It just changes the way they have to pay him. When you waive a player normally, you owe him his full guaranteed salary for the remainder of his contract. THe only way that changes is if/when he signs with a new team, then you subtract the value of his new deal.

And then that's extra good. If the normal waiver off-set rules apply after use of the stretch provision, then the Raps can subtract his new contract from the stretched salary instead of the original one.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    When you waive a player normally, you owe him his full guaranteed salary for the remainder of his contract. THe only way that changes is if/when he signs with a new team, then you subtract the value of his new deal.

And then that's extra good. If the normal waiver off-set rules apply after use of the stretch provision, then the Raps can subtract his new contract from the stretched salary instead of the original one.
    No, that's wrong. You're thinking of the amnesty provision. A waived player gets paid the same regardless of how much they get elsewhere. The only chance of not paying a waived player's contract is if another team claims him off the waiver wire (within 48hrs of being waived)--but that never happens.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

At the very least I would check and see how his workouts are coming along. And depending on the big picture we should treat Fields as an asset until we are sure his ailments are unrecoverable in the short term. If MU can turn chicken feathers (Bargs) into Primo salad well then let him have a go with Fields too.

Thread Information