Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors to use the "stretch provision" on Fields!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Waived means player is off the roster, so no, raps don't keep.
    Yeah sorry, I overlooked the part where he mentioned waiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a way we could get him right back after waiving him? Because I would love to have Landry for that kind of money lol

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    When you waive a player normally, you owe him his full guaranteed salary for the remainder of his contract. THe only way that changes is if/when he signs with a new team, then you subtract the value of his new deal.

And then that's extra good. If the normal waiver off-set rules apply after use of the stretch provision, then the Raps can subtract his new contract from the stretched salary instead of the original one.
    No, that's wrong. You're thinking of the amnesty provision. A waived player gets paid the same regardless of how much they get elsewhere. The only chance of not paying a waived player's contract is if another team claims him off the waiver wire (within 48hrs of being waived)--but that never happens.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    hmmmm... Well I heard a rumor we wanted to go after Chris Copeland, the stretch provision would help us sign him and he would take Landrys minutes anyways.

Lowry
    Derozan/Ross
    Gay/Copeland
    Amir/Novak
    Val/Amir

and since we still have the MLE available, signing Marreese Speights and Gal Mekel will round out the roster!
    Copeland said he would decline any big offer just to stay in New York so you can forget it.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Copeland said he would decline any big offer just to stay in New York so you can forget it.

The dudes 29, this is his last chance for prime money. I doubt he is THAT loyal.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cris copeland is trash

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    The dudes 29, this is his last chance for prime money. I doubt he is THAT loyal.
    http://m.basketball.realgm.com/wiret...-knicks-return

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know he said it, but now that the knick frontcourt has like $75 million tied up in 4 guys, is he really gonna find minutes there? I could see the Bargnani trade making Copeland decide to sign elsewhere.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly, that provision was made so you keep the player and stretch out his contract. At the time they were using Al Harringtons as an example on Denver, they would've been able to keep him ad stretch out his salary. Basically your cap hit on a player would last longer than it's actual contract.
    Last edited by saints91; Sun Jun 30th, 2013 at 08:21 PM.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If fields wrist is still messed do it.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    If I remember correctly, that provision was made so you keep the player and stretch out his contract. At the time they were using Al Harringtons as an example on Denver, they would've been able to keep him ad stretch out his salary. Basically your cap hit on a player would last longer than it's actual salary
    Yeah, that's also what I understood from the article regarding Steve Nash. It also only mentions Field's name in passing, and in parentheses at that. I think we're reading way too much into this :P

Post Thanks / Like

ya, I totally agree. If he's actually healthy he's worth keeping around. Especially at half the salary. He's so versatile!

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Cris copeland is trash
    47% FG - 42% 3pt - 8.7 pts in 15 MPG is trash?

in 13 games as a starter:
    27 MPG - 47% FG - 43% 3PT - 3.7 RPG - 1.5 TO - 16.1 PPG
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

He'd be a great backup for Amir, but it's not going to happen.

Id love for us to keep Landry if his arm is actually recovering... but if we intend to break into the top 6 playoff spots, I'd toss him.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ya, I totally agree. If he's actually healthy he's worth keeping around. Especially at half the salary. He's so versatile!
    There is no half the salary.. if we use the 'stretch' he is no longer on the team. It just means we have shrunk our cap space commitments to him.

It's an amnesty clause just like the one most are familiar with.. the difference is with the regular amnesty it can only be used on guys pre CBA (so that would be Kleiza, or Amir - Bargnani is gone so he of course doesn't qualify).

Stretch can be used on anyone post CBA (including Fields) but some of the salary will count towards the cap unlike the regular amnesty where none of their salary counts towards the cap. The team is still responsible for paying the players salary (minus the portion that another team uses to bid on that player once he becomes a 'free agent').

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure there was a clause in CBA that you can keep the player and stretch his salary. I'll have to look into it again though. That's one of the things that stood out to me when the new CBA was announced
    Last edited by saints91; Sun Jun 30th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of stretching Landry at all right now. He had an awful year last year, but that wasn't really his fault. He's untradeable anyway, so unless we have a serious free agent target for a new contract (and I don't think we do), getting rid of his salary doesn't make sense, especially since at best we'd only be knocking his cap hit down to 3.5 million per year or so. I'd rather give him a year, see if he improves - and then see if he's worth keeping or tradeable at that point. If he doesn't find his shot again, then sure, stretch him then. But I'm not a fan of pulling the trigger early on him, because he's a good character guy and good locker room presence, and what the hell else are we going to use the hit for except possibly to take on other teams' bad contracts?

18. Like Sam17 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure there was a clause in CBA that you can keep the player and stretch his salary. I'll have to look into it again though. That's one of the things that stood out to me when the new CBA was announced
    I am absolutely certain you are wrong about this. The stretch provision only applies to waived player salaries and nothing else. Otherwise it would allow teams far too much cap flexibility and they'd be able to fuck around in all sorts of ways (for example, the Heat could stretch LeBron, Wade and Bosh's contracts, create $30m of cap room and then sign CP3 and create a megateam).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    I am absolutely certain you are wrong about this. The stretch provision only applies to waived player salaries and nothing else. Otherwise it would allow teams far too much cap flexibility and they'd be able to fuck around in all sorts of ways (for example, the Heat could stretch LeBron, Wade and Bosh's contracts, create $30m of cap room and then sign CP3 and create a megateam).
    I thought it was a one time thing, just like amnesty clause. I could have read it wrong at the time.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    I see what you're saying, but that leads me to beleive that Masai and Casey are banking on Ross big time for next season. with Novak as the 4th wing or vice versa.
    Or, theyre inching closer to tank mode.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information