X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is getting crazier as it goes

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
      There is merit to what Magoon has to say. I raised the point that we already tanked once, got a great / possibly franchise player (JV) but then where did that get us? Nowhere.
      See, the problem is that people have their own (wrong) definitions of "tanking." We didn't tank in 2010-11; that was just us sucking, which is completely different. We sign-and-traded Chris Bosh for some mediocre draft picks, we traded Turkoglu for pieces that BC claimed would make us better (no), we traded for Bayless in an attempt to get better (no). We weren't rebuilding. We were doing what BC always did, which is rebuild-on-the-fly without trying to stop competing, except we had no good pieces to begin with and the NBA, by and large, is not a place where you magically get more assets than a player is worth most of the time (which is why the Bargnani trade was so impressive on Ujiri's part). It was an extremely half-assed "retooling," in other words.

One of the things that has irked me about the Detroit offer for Gay is that for some people here, it's driven the conversation. Any talk of trading Rudy or Lowry or Demar is phrased in terms of taking on crap in the attempt to get worse and nothing more. But that's not what we should be doing, because that's stupid. We can play badly WITH Rudy and Lowry and DeMar. Move DeMar to point, Lowry to SG and Rudy to PF and we will suck really badly (and it's a valid, albeit awful, coaching strategy, so the league couldn't do shit about that).

But instead of doing that, let's get value for our assets while we can still sell high. As I've said before: if Detroit's offer for Rudy had been the two expiring contracts plus, say, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and a draft pick, Ujiri would have given that a lot more consideration, because you're getting a promising young player (who most people agree is an NBA-ready 3-and-D shooting guard) and a future asset at the same time as you pitch Rudy's elephant contract. If we got offers for three promising young players, two or three first-round draft picks, and expiring contracts of overpriced but useful veterans in exchange for Rudy, Lowry and DeMar, that would be great value for them. We spend a year with young kids, teaching them proper defense fundamentals under Casey (and if there's one thing Casey does brilliantly, it's teach defense), get the best picks we can in 2014, and then take advantage of the stupid free agent market in 2014.

Comment

• it's done

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/13070...chak_statement

The following statement has been issued by Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak.

"We have been informed of Dwight's decision to not return to the Lakers. Naturally we're disappointed. However, we will now move forward in a different direction with the future of the franchise and, as always, will do our best to build the best team possible, one our great lakers fans will be proud to support. To Dwight, we thank him for his time and consideration, and for his efforts with us last season. We wish him the best of luck on the remainder of his NBA career."

Comment

• Marz wrote: View Post
          I don't really understand why this is a good trade. Yes, they get two picks... for $24 million? That seems a bit steep to me, and Golden State's pick will be out of the lottery. I think they're in a good position because they have a young and promising frontcourt, plus Gordon Hayward, but I don't understand why this trade was made at all.
          Utah's not going to make playoffs this year, not even close. The West is CRAZY stacked: the Thunder, Spurs, Clippers, Warriors, Rockets, Grizzlies and Nuggets basically have the first seven slots locked up and that final slot will be a fight between New Orleans, Dallas, Minnesota and maybe even the Lakers. Utah will lose most of their best players this year (and their best players weren't enough to get them to the playoffs LAST year). They are tailor-made to tank because this is going to be a lost year anyway, so they take Golden State's trash - and along with it a talented young player who wasn't getting minutes in Golden State and multiple first-round draft picks. And who knows, maybe Biedrins or Jefferson find their way back to being good players, and now you're the team who believed in them when nobody else did when it's time for them to re-up. And if they don't find their way back, they're cap space next year when you want free agents.

It's win-win all around.

Comment

• Attention Millsap fans: he just signed with Atlanta, who are officially Not Tanking Now.

Comment

• Nice for the NHL to do all the marketing to call today Friday Free Agent Frenzy

Comment

• Iguodala to GSW. Does that mean one of Thompson or Barnes is expendable??
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Mayo to Bucks.......we've heard that one already,no? Another non tanker?

Comment

• Millsap has just signed a 2-year 19 mil deal with ATL.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...eal-With-Hawks

Comment

• Milwaukee isn't tanking. They are doing what they always do: throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                        this is getting crazier as it goes

When you factor in the no income tax I'm sure the $30M number drops significantly.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Very happy for Jose...but Dallas is going to make him their #1 pg for the next few years? Hmmm. If not havent they overpaid?
                          If so then they're in for a big surprise about how he's not a #1 pg.

Comment

• JStockton wrote: View Post
                            Millsap has just signed a 2-year 19 mil deal with ATL.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...eal-With-Hawks
                            Damn...

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                              If so then they're in for a big surprise about how he's not a #1 pg.
                              lol, do you seriously think the Mavs don"t know his game

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                                When you factor in the no income tax I'm sure the $30M number drops significantly.
                                When you factor in the income tax maybe he cares even more about every million?

Comment

Working...
                                X