Free Agency 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magoon wrote: View Post
    Doable, but then we're back to a tank/rebuild model because nobody else wants Landry Fields' contract. A sign-and-trade with Toronto means trading one or more of Rudy, Demar, Lowry, TRoss, Amir, or Jonas because those are the only pieces other teams would conceivably want. And if we're doing that, why not just do a proper rebuild instead?
    Depends who your trading partner is.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Depends who your trading partner is.
      If we're sign-and-trading crappy contracts to get a good piece, we're going to be compensating the other team in some way - most likely picks. We should not be doing that, because, as said before: we are not nearly a good enough team to go that route.

Comment

Doable, but then we're back to a tank/rebuild model because nobody else wants Landry Fields' contract. A sign-and-trade with Toronto means trading one or more of Rudy, Demar, Lowry, TRoss, Amir, or Jonas because those are the only pieces other teams would conceivably want. And if we're doing that, why not just do a proper rebuild instead?
        now that ive thought about it, maybe Masai was active during the start of FA but just couldnt close out any deals. But that would have leaked in the media somehow, right?

trading rudy, demar, lowry or amir, to me, will not constitute a rebuild, well unless you trade all 4 this offseason.

and nobody might like Field's contract, but combined with maybe Amir or Ross, somebody would probably listen.

Comment

If we're sign-and-trading crappy contracts to get a good piece, we're going to be compensating the other team in some way - most likely picks. We should not be doing that, because, as said before: we are not nearly a good enough team to go that route.
          agree, but shouldnt masai be getting his feet wet right now, while other teams are active, before teams settle down and decide they dont want to do any deals anymore? i mean its good to be patient, but isnt now the best time to make moves while other teams are actively dealing?

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
            agree, but shouldnt masai be getting his feet wet right now, while other teams are active, before teams settle down and decide they dont want to do any deals anymore? i mean its good to be patient, but isnt now the best time to make moves while other teams are actively dealing?
            The Dwight Howard/Iguodala four-team trade last year happened in August. The James Harden trade last year (and that was by far the most important trade of the year) came three days before the beginning of the season in October. All you need for big trades to happen are teams that are hungry for assets and players who want to be traded, and there will be more of the latter than Camby and Omer Asik before long. Right now Houston is aggressively shopping Lin and Asik; something is going to happen there eventually and I wouldn't be surprised to see us get involved in a multi-team deal (we don't want Asik, but if we sent out Rudy Gay and Lowry somewhere and got back Lin, that would be fine with me).

Summer League will make a lot of difference as teams get an idea of what rooks they want to sign, and what holes need to be filled, and what teams have holes. I wouldn't expect any trade to happen before it ends (July 22). Of course Ujiri could surprise us all, who knows.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
              its a bit frustrating to see that most of the bottomfeeder teams from last year have been active at the start of free agency to at least do something to improve their roster while the raptors have done nothing (bargnani trade although good was a pure salary dump)

what direction is this team going?
              This is how I picture Masai right now:

I picture 2 types of GMs out there: initiators and opportunists.

Initiators are like Colangelo. They see what they want and they get on the phone. They aren't satisfied until they have got what they wanted and if it takes another draft pick or asset to get it done, so be it.

Opportunists are always out there gauging the market value of their own players but never offering anything and certainly not asking for anything. When an initiator comes along and opens dialogue with an opportunist you see 3 draft picks throw in to close the deal.

I picture MU as an opportunist and waiting for one of these bottom feeding teams, who are trying to limit themselves to a treadmill ceiling, to come calling.

On the flip side, MU could be waiting for one of the playoff teams to come calling with a proven NBA talent who may not quite fit on their team or are looking for help in another area.

I could be 100% incorrect here. Just my take on the situation. I think by the start of August all should be clear. Let free agency play out and then watch teams look to trades.

Comment

Again, I think it depends. Say for example we are trading with a team going the rebuild path and is looking for picks and young prospects (Boston). Are a combination of T. Ross, and draft picks (we seem to have a bunch now) along with Lowry expring or better yet Fields good enough to get Rondo?

Rondo is a top 20 player isn't he, and Gay is maybe in the top 30. That's pretty good when you add JV to it whom will hopefully be in the mix of a top 30 player one day and that core might be good enough to build around. You could move players like DD and Amir for role players (shooters) to fit around the big 3.

Imo, I think the rebuilding route is the way to go and tanking as bad as it sounds is the direction Ujiri is going to end up directing the team, but the above is an example of what he could do as well. If he can trade for the right peice he can re-tool and make a run. I just hope he doesn't not do anything.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  Again, I think it depends. Say for example we are trading with a team going the rebuild path and is looking for picks and young prospects (Boston). Are a combination of T. Ross, and draft picks (we seem to have a bunch now) along with Lowry expring or better yet Fields good enough to get Rondo?
                  I don't think Rondo is a top 20 player, and on top of not being as good as advertised he's also problematic in the locker room. I would avoid Rondo like the plague; he falls into my range of "potentially available, talented, but not worth it" along with DeMarcus Cousins (remember, it's extension year for Boogie, as it is for Paul George, Larry Sanders, Greg Monroe, Derrick Favors, Greivis Vasquez, John Wall, Gordon Hayward and Ed Davis - teams are going to need to decide to extend them or trade them).

Comment

I don't think Rondo is a top 20 player, and on top of not being as good as advertised he's also problematic in the locker room. I would avoid Rondo like the plague; he falls into my range of "potentially available, talented, but not worth it" along with DeMarcus Cousins (remember, it's extension year for Boogie, as it is for Paul George, Larry Sanders, Greg Monroe, Derrick Favors, Greivis Vasquez, John Wall, Gordon Hayward and Ed Davis - teams are going to need to decide to extend them or trade them).
                    I think Rondo is definitely in the Top 20. His PER has always been at the top of the leaderboard and his numbers (except scoring) has always been tops in every catergory. But IMO, he does not fit in the Raps current system. They dont have players who can knock down consistent jumpers like Garnett, Terry and Pierce in Boston. Rondo will have a difficult time playing his game here because the players here mostly penetrate or camp in the paint. Thats why im still hoping Lowry is able to get out from his rut because he has the tools to make this team good.
                    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Mon Jul 8, 2013, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• If you get Rondo, and have a core of Rondo, Gay and JV then you can trade anyyone else to bring in peices that fit. Let me say that again, if you have a chance in HELL at getting a top 20 guy then you go out and get him and worry about the peices around him afterwards.

Comment

• Pinch me

What you have there is a one of the best defenders in the league, a guy who can hold his own and a young up and coming guy with the potential to be a really good defender.

I really don't see how the Raptors could get Rondo without giving up JV though. The Celtics have no pressure to deal Rondo and it's not like there wouldn't be a lineup to talk to the Celtics if Rondo was on the block.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          What you have there is a one of the best defenders in the league, a guy who can hold his own and a young up and coming guy with the potential to be a really good defender.

I really don't see how the Raptors could get Rondo without giving up JV though. The Celtics have no pressure to deal Rondo and it's not like there wouldn't be a lineup to talk to the Celtics if Rondo was on the block.
                          Is Rondo still going to be Rondo without Garnett, Pierce and Allen there is the question?
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Was loving the silence from MU at first but now im getting antsy... give us a hint!!! lol

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                              Is Rondo still going to be Rondo without Garnett, Pierce and Allen there is the question?
                              Maybe...nothing's going on...?
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X