Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Raptors To Use Amnesty Clause on Kleiza

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And Doug doesnt like it

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Man, he's really ripping into TL and Masai. I wonder how long he's going to be under BC's payroll.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    Yeah, it's time to wave goodbye, but sad that it didn't work out. I guess I identify with him and his value because I played so much like him, twisted mind and all, lol.
    Really?? i couldnt have pegged you as somebody aggressive, twisted and as an enforcer. hahahaha

3. Like p00ka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    And Doug doesnt like it

Man, he's really ripping into TL and Masai. I wonder how long he's going to be under BC's payroll.
    Yeah, well Doug doesn't actually understand anything about basketball. Kleiza, while he has a bit of value because he's expiring, still has very low value. He's a very risky player, with his injuries and lack of a role for a couple of years. He also has an awkward mid-range deal. He's not like Hump, Biedrins or Jefferson, where their deals are nice big chunks of capspace for next summer. He also makes a lot more than many rookie-scale guys. Guys on such contracts in his range that would be available are high lottery picks. Not a lot of those likely to be traded, and many that would be are usually for obvious reasons (ie. big busts). I think Kleiza really only has value in a package as cap-relieving filler. It would just be too damn hard to find a good deal with him alone.

Doug should be doing baseball. That's what his blog is like: baseball commentary. One second he's talking about ball, the next he's talking about walking his dog and eating burgers. I can only hope with the way he's writing he stops getting the early track on team news and gets moved off basketball.

The Star has always sucked really hard for basketball coverage. Smith is awful. Feschuk was just overkill with the pessimism. If the Raptors had a great team and won championships, it would've been because of dumb luck and other teams fucking up. The Raptors could do no right in Feschuk's eyes. And don't even get me started on Cathal Kelly...

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And Doug doesnt like it

Doug is a knob.

He must forget how to get $200K in guaranteed money off the Raptors books last season (Haddadi) BC had to send a 2nd round pick to get Telfair.

He must also think teams are going to line up to take a player with no meaningful contribution left on an NBA court. The reality is to move him, something has to come back. If you are swapping expiring contracts then just amnesty him now. If you are taking a contract back, how awful is it likely to be or what asset (thinking 2nd rd pick) do you have to throw in to get it done?

Why would the team pay luxury tax for a team/player that is not going to make them a championship contender?

He must not realize the Raptors, in taking Q-Rich, are now hard capped at $75.75M.

He must not realize they had just $1.7M left of space. That included extra money coming back in any trade, 10-day contracts, finding a third PG, etc.

In summary, Doug thinking this is financially motivated shows the level of primary thinking he possesses. This is not a financial move (well, financial is partly a result), this is a CBA move. The team is up against a hard cap, no one in the league wants him for anything that helps Toronto in any way, and they still have holes in their roster.

Ugh. This is a total waste of time on my part. DougGotsToGO!!!!
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, I agree with Doug on this one. I don't really see the benefit of this move other than the hope to save some money.

I'm not a fan of Doug and most times I don't agree with him but I think he speaks the truth here no matter if he has an axe to grind. The truth is still the truth no matter the messenger.

Matt, the Raptors are well below the tax threshold. You think they're worried about the cap hitting $72M+ this year?

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug's reaction doesn't surprise me in the least. Linas is not an asset anymore. Not every player is an asset. If he has a history of injury problems, a contract that's hard to move, and is typically a bench player regardless, then he's not an asset. Everything Masai does is just another excuse to hate on him, in his eyes.

I've never really got to comment on him until now, but I find his whole blog laughable.
    Last edited by isaacthompson; Tue Jul 16th, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

8. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I don't know, I agree with Doug on this one. I don't really see the benefit of this move other than the hope to save some money.

I'm not a fan of Doug and most times I don't agree with him but I think he speaks the truth here no matter if he has an axe to grind. The truth is still the truth no matter the messenger.

Matt, the Raptors are well below the tax threshold. You think they're worried about the cap hitting $72M+ this year?
    The hard cap... we amnestied kleiza to get more space for the hard cap
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really wish I hadn't clicked on the link to Doug Smith's blog. Now thestar is going to think people like him, when really he's a complete twat with no journalistic integrity left when covering the Raps.

Post Thanks / Like

Before the amnesty the Raptors are over the luxury tax and just $1.7M away from hardcap of $75.75M they are subject to due to accepting sign and trade player (Richardson) in Bargnani deal.

They are over loaded on the wings and shallow at PG.

They just cleared a roster space while allowing themselves to use the remainder of MLE AND the Bi-Annual if they choose to.

They also just allowed themselves to take back up to $4.6M more in salary than they send out in a trade should one come along.

Given Kleiza had no value, and the uncertainty with Richardson and Camby, this seems like a no-brainer to me. There is much more than saving the tax going on here - that is just one small benefit.

I disagree on the truth statements. That article blasting too much change about 4 weeks ago was an absolute joke.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you getting your cap numbers? What I'm looking at must have some holes.

Edit: Never mind, I know now. Hoops World. Doug might have been looking at a bad source like me. He's a professional sports writer so no excuse for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you getting your cap numbers? What I'm looking at must have some holes.
    Mark Deeks and/or HoopsWorld.com

Not all contracts are up on Deeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    The hard cap... we amnestied kleiza to get more space for the hard cap
    I think there is also some general philosopy at play here in regard to clearing out some deadwood.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Kleiza signing when it happened.. the team at the time needed a tough guy on the team after Bosh left and Triano was running the team into the ground.

The problem with Kleiza though is that if his shot wasn't falling then he'd become a bit of a liability. On defense he was not agile enough to keep the tweeners in front of him, and he'd be to small to bang down low with the big boys.

I loved his ferocity and hope he does well in Europe (or wherever he ends up).

Post Thanks / Like

Lol that picture... Kleiza is a cool guy, always liked him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    and just $1.7M away from hardcap of $75.75M they are subject to due to accepting sign and trade player (Richardson) in Bargnani deal.
    Whats this hardcap you refer to?
    This is due to the fact that capped out teams can't sign-and-trade?

I've seen you use this $75.75M Hardcap before and meant to ask.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

And Doug doesnt like it

It's pretty clear Smith doesn't like the direction of things for whatever reason (they've all been discussed). Given his past history as chief sycophant for MLSE his turn to sober critic is a bit disingenuous but, having said that, I don't mind that there are people ready to question the new regime and its moves. Even if it's Doug Smith.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug claims: "You need to understand there is NO CAP SAVINGS by this move. NONE."

Matt52, can you clarify? Is he being stupid, misinformed, or what?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Doug claims: "You need to understand there is NO CAP SAVINGS by this move. NONE."

Matt52, can you clarify? Is he being stupid, misinformed, or what?
    He is looking one dimensional with little abstract thought.

The new CBa has an apron where teams cannot go over if they do certain things. Apron, or hard cap as it acts as same when th

Post Thanks / Like

RealGM is false reporting that the Raps already amnestied Kleiza, linking to Stein's article, when Stein is only saying that the Raps are PLANNING to amnesty Kleiza but they havent yet.

RealGM is saying that they already did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He is looking one dimensional with little abstract thought.

The new CBa has an apron where teams cannot go over if they do certain things. Apron, or hard cap as it acts as same when th
    Those things are done. Apron is $4m above luxury tax.

Things which kick in apron:
    1 using full MLE
    2 using bi-annual exception
    3 accepting sign and trade player

Raps did #3 and cannot go over $4m apron no matter what.

So Doug is right. There are no cap savings. But what he fails to recognize are all the consequences of not amnestying Kleiza and the benefits of using it.

Does anyone not think MU would have used this if he could have got ANYTHING of value for LK?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information