Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    From Zach Lowe at Grantland.com:

I don't think amnestying him is as open and shut a case as one, myself included, might think. Lowe raises good points in that last paragraph.
    Kleiza and Camby were the first players that jumped to my mind when MU talked about working the phones discussing trades and possibly seeing some moves made over the next 4-5 days. I think MU will be extremely aggressive in an attempt to turn Kleiza into something useful, with amnesty being an ultimate last resort. If MU can dump Camby's salary, that would allow him to carry Kleiza into the season without being over the luxury tax line, to potentially use him as an asset at the trade deadline. If any/all of this is true, I really like the way MU manages his assets and tries everything he can to maximize their long-term value to the Raptors.

Comment

But it's still so hard to picture anyone giving the team something for Kleiza. The paragraph mentions "if he shows glimpses of his old game", but where will he get those minutes? He'd have to show something really special in camp, given he has to outplay Hansbrough, Acy, Fields, and Novak for minutes...sorry, backup minutes.

I do think it's possible there will be limited opportunities to trade him during the season...I'm not sure any of those scenarios are better than amnestying him.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        From Zach Lowe at Grantland.com:

I don't think amnestying him is as open and shut a case as one, myself included, might think. Lowe raises good points in that last paragraph.
        Basically this is what I thought and mentioned couple of weeks ago. I believe he's still worth second round pick and will be traded, especially with Ujiri in charge.
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          But it's still so hard to picture anyone giving the team something for Kleiza. The paragraph mentions "if he shows glimpses of his old game", but where will he get those minutes? He'd have to show something really special in camp, given he has to outplay Hansbrough, Acy, Fields, and Novak for minutes...sorry, backup minutes.

I do think it's possible there will be limited opportunities to trade him during the season...I'm not sure any of those scenarios are better than amnestying him.
          You forgot Eurobasket. It may be possible to trade him if he shows good play up there.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
            You forgot Eurobasket.
            No I didn't. But I think by now people know not to expect his National Team performances to indicate anything about his NBA utility. Kleiza always plays better on that stage. Being a tweener is less of an issue internationally. Partly out of style...partly because the physical issues that make him a liability in the NBA are not really a factor. He's got good enough size for a PF, especially given his shooting range, and most teams don't have USA-like athletes at SF.

I suppose there are some bad GMs who don't know how to evaluate such information though. After all, BC did sign him to this contract largely based on his year abroad and subsequent international play.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              No I didn't. But I think by now people know not to expect his National Team performances to indicate anything about his NBA utility. Kleiza always plays better on that stage. Being a tweener is less of an issue internationally. Partly out of style...partly because the physical issues that make him a liability in the NBA are not really a factor. He's got good enough size for a PF, especially given his shooting range, and most teams don't have USA-like athletes at SF.

I suppose there are some bad GMs who don't know how to evaluate such information though. After all, BC did sign him to this contract largely based on his year abroad and subsequent international play.
              Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to say, some teams can still pick him up. I mean Telfair = 2nd round pick. He barely played as well.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to say, some teams can still pick him up. I mean Telfair = 2nd round pick. He barely played as well.
                Yeah...that's a possibility then.

Still not sure it's a more beneficial plan than amnestying him.

I mean, amnesty him and with wiggle room, sign a backup PG to a 2 year deal (2nd non guaranteed) that is worth the same or less total than Kleiza....that guy will also have trade value, probably more than Kleiza. I'm thinking AJ Price. 2 years/ 3.5-4 million. Decent enough backup PG. If a team needs one at the trade deadline, I'm much more confident in his value than Kleiza (what need would he fill for a team?).
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jul 11, 2013, 11:00 AM.

Comment

amnestying Kleiza provides no new exceptions, or wiggle room. The only benefit would be to avoid paying tax, which I am sure MLSE doesn't particularly care about
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                    amnestying Kleiza provides no new exceptions, or wiggle room. The only benefit would be to avoid paying tax, which I am sure MLSE doesn't particularly care about
                    I thought it affected the way the rest of the MLE could be used. But I also hate this type of cap stuff...not really hard to understand, but many technicalities that I'm sure to always overlook.

Comment

As long as the Raptors are below the luxury tax threshold by July 1st, 2014, they'll avoid their first season of being a 'tax team', which has longer-term implications per the repeater tax penalties. Even if they don't amnesty Kleiza or shed salary (ie: Camby) before the season starts, they can still shed sufficient salary by the trade deadline, to get under the tax line. At least, that's the way I understand the CBA to work...

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        As long as the Raptors are below the luxury tax threshold by July 1st, 2014, they'll avoid their first season of being a 'tax team', which has longer-term implications per the repeater tax penalties. Even if they don't amnesty Kleiza or shed salary (ie: Camby) before the season starts, they can still shed sufficient salary by the trade deadline, to get under the tax line. At least, that's the way I understand the CBA to work...
                        Last day of regular season.

Comment

Assuming no buyouts or other trades, it would allow the Raptors to use the remaining portion of their MLE or the bi-annual exception.

However, in doing this the Raptors are then limited to a hardcap of $75.748M until July 1st, 2014.

Comment

Comment

We are using the amnesty on Kleiza

Just wanted to point it out
                              Live. Breath. Sleep. Raptors

Comment

There is a thread for this.

Just wanted to point it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X