Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bosh, Duncan, what's the diff?

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NewRapCity wrote: View Post
    3.3 Blocks, 11.7(9.3 def.) Boards and 1.24 steals. Not just a shot blocker.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Post Thanks / Like

Default Something else to chew on...

DRtg= Estimate points allowed per 100 possession
    DWS= Estimates number of wins contributed by player due to his defense.

* Avg per season
    Tim Duncan
    Seasons: 13
    Career Avg DRtg= 95
    Career Avg DWS= 6.15

David Robinson
    Seasons: 13
    Career Avg DRtg= 96
    Career Avg DWS= 5.71

Dwight Howard
    Seasons: 6
    Career Avg DRtg= 99
    Career Avg DWS= 5.41

Marcus Camby
    Seasons: 14
    Career Avg DRtg= 98
    Career Avg DWS= 3.41

Hakeem Olajuwon

Seasons: 14
    Career Avg DRtg= 98
    Career Avg DWS= 5.25

Data source: Basketball-Reference.com

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mack North and Apollo for the discussion and Apollo for the links. I now know more about DR and I had that black and white Nike poster with all his rookie stats.

One thing that's become clear is that Robinson was not the same after his injury (that got them Duncan). I saw him play several times in person against Lakers, post injury. David ran away from Shaq.

My opinion of his D is that it was more Camby than Nene; predicated on weak side shot blocking. This style of defense isn't top defense which is where this discussion began. But it's possible that he defended differently before his injury.

Raptors Republic Starter DarkKnight's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How can anybody say David Robinson wasn't at least a decent defender? You can argue he's not a defensive STOPPER but that guy was filled with greatness BEFORE Tim Duncan got there. I always though Robinson was one of the most under appreciated players.

Raptors Republic Rookie DoubleR_T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

SI.com called Tim Duncan the player of the decade 2000-10. Could that be the difference between them? He won two titles without the Admiral helping him on D. He played in the west against Shaq in his prime. Outrageous comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

He wasn't comparing career accomplishments so I'm not sure how you can use that argument in this particular case.

...Duncan never faced off against Shaq in the playoffs without Robinson manning the middle and came out a winner.

Raptors Republic Rookie DoubleR_T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well in 2003 Robinson played 23mpg in playoffs and played under that average in the lakers series. The guy who posted asked if Bosh was approaching Tim Duncan's prime level of play. So I think career accomplishments in his prime are fairly relevant. Duncan was putting up 6,7,8 blocks in clutch games in his prime along with 20 rebound games, that's why they went deep in the playoffs. Bosh will just not ever get there. I dare him to, and in T.O.

...One similarity, I think they both have the same plantar fasciitis problem in their feet. Which doesn't get brought up really when talking about Bosh's new contract. Although Duncan is still trucking so I guess it's not that big a deal.
    Last edited by DoubleR_T; Wed Feb 17th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoubleR_T wrote: View Post
    Well in 2003 Robinson played 23mpg in playoffs and played under that average in the lakers series. The guy who posted asked if Bosh was approaching Tim Duncan's prime level of play. So I think career accomplishments in his prime are fairly relevant. Duncan was putting up 6,7,8 blocks in clutch games in his prime along with 20 rebound games, that's why they went deep in the playoffs. Bosh will just not ever get there. I dare him to, and in T.O.
    Team success depends so much on the team that's around you. Just ask Michael Jordan. Bosh has never been blessed with the great rosters Duncan has year in year out since day one. This is why I think he left team success out of the mix. You throw Duncan on the Pacers and suddenly he's missing the playoffs.

Thread Information