No announcement yet.

Bosh, Duncan, what's the diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not going to do all kinds of searching, but if you take a look at his stats you'll see that he was also a very good rebounder and he was a pretty good theif as well(91-92 especially). Take a look at his Per 36 mins, and playoff numbers. He wasn't just a shot blocker. He was a presence. If you show me anybody in the game today with his type of numbers, I guarantee you will think they are a good defender ie. Dwight Howard. You don't win Defensive MVP for being merely a shot blocker.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...robinda01.html

Comment

NewRapCity wrote: View Post
      I'll take A or B, who's published 15 books about basketball?

Because there is a difference between publishing books and posting in a forum. You could try linking to a scouting report which shows Robinson was something more on D than a shotblocker.
      I'll be damned, a Raptors fan defending Charlie Rosen?

You think all writers have a strong handle on their topic? Rosen gets it wrong a lot in my opinion. I can think of many bad writers making a living. He gets it wrong a lot when it comes to the Raptors. Almost as though he doesn't watch the games.

Mack North wrote: View Post
      I'm not going to do all kinds of searching, but if you take a look at his stats you'll see that he was also a very good rebounder and he was a pretty good theif as well(91-92 especially). Take a look at his Per 36 mins, and playoff numbers. He wasn't just a shot blocker. He was a presence. If you show me anybody in the game today with his type of numbers, I guarantee you will think they are a good defender ie. Dwight Howard. You don't win Defensive MVP for being merely a shot blocker.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...robinda01.html
      I agree. The Admiral had admirable abilities on both sides of the court in my opinion.

9) David Robinson - The Admiral was truly a force to be reckoned with on defense. He was a dominating presence in the post making it very difficult for opposing teams to scoring in the paint. He was great at all aspects of defense: rebounding, blocking, stealing, post defense, etc. You name it, Robinson could do it all. His great defensive efforts won him 8 All-NBA-Defensive Teams, a DPOY, and 2 NBA championships. He wasn't flashy or super athletic, but he commanded respect in the post, and lead his team on defense.
      CBS Sports - "NBA's Greatest Defenders in History"
      Last edited by Apollo; Wed Feb 17, 2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
        You don't win Defensive MVP for being merely a shot blocker.
        Except that Marcus Camby did.

Comment

25. David Robinson
          Basketball, like life, is funny. In both cases, one or two moments can come to define your existence. Take David Robinson, a guy who averaged 24 ppg, 12 rpg and 4 bpg as a rookie, and went for 30 and 11 a few years later. Ten-time All-Star. Rookie of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, League MVP. Dream Teamer. And yet when I think of David Robinson, what do I think of? The guy Dream embarrassed in the Playoffs. The guy whose greatest contribution to his franchise was missing most of the ’96-97 season. But this is my problem, not his. For the first half of his career, David Robinson was all-world. For the second half, he was “only” a terrific, selfless role player with two rings to show for it. Nothing funny about that.—RJ
          SlamOnline.com - "The New Top 50"

Comment

· NBA Defensive Player of the Year in 1992
            · Won the NBA Rebounding Title in 1991, the NBA Blocked Shots Title in 1992 and the NBA Scoring Title in 1994 (he and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar are the only two players in NBA history to win each of the three titles)
            · Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team four times (1991, 1992, 1995 and 1996) and the All-Defensive Second Team four times (1990, 1993, 1994 and 1998)
            · Is the only player in NBA history to be named to both an All-NBA Team and an NBA All-Defensive Team in each of his first seven NBA seasons (since the NBA started the All-Defensive Team in 1968-69)
            NBA.com

Charlie or the numerous awards? Charlie or the numerous awards? Tough choice.

I'll let you make the call NewRapCity.
            Last edited by Apollo; Wed Feb 17, 2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

3.3 Blocks, 11.7(9.3 def.) Boards and 1.24 steals. Not just a shot blocker.

Comment

Something else to chew on...

DRtg= Estimate points allowed per 100 possession
                DWS= Estimates number of wins contributed by player due to his defense.

* Avg per season
                Tim Duncan
                Seasons: 13
                Career Avg DRtg= 95
                Career Avg DWS= 6.15

David Robinson
                Seasons: 13
                Career Avg DRtg= 96
                Career Avg DWS= 5.71

Dwight Howard
                Seasons: 6
                Career Avg DRtg= 99
                Career Avg DWS= 5.41

Marcus Camby
                Seasons: 14
                Career Avg DRtg= 98
                Career Avg DWS= 3.41

Hakeem Olajuwon

Seasons: 14
                Career Avg DRtg= 98
                Career Avg DWS= 5.25

Data source: Basketball-Reference.com

Comment

Thanks Mack North and Apollo for the discussion and Apollo for the links. I now know more about DR and I had that black and white Nike poster with all his rookie stats.

One thing that's become clear is that Robinson was not the same after his injury (that got them Duncan). I saw him play several times in person against Lakers, post injury. David ran away from Shaq.

My opinion of his D is that it was more Camby than Nene; predicated on weak side shot blocking. This style of defense isn't top defense which is where this discussion began. But it's possible that he defended differently before his injury.

Comment

How can anybody say David Robinson wasn't at least a decent defender? You can argue he's not a defensive STOPPER but that guy was filled with greatness BEFORE Tim Duncan got there. I always though Robinson was one of the most under appreciated players.
                    http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

Comment

SI.com called Tim Duncan the player of the decade 2000-10. Could that be the difference between them? He won two titles without the Admiral helping him on D. He played in the west against Shaq in his prime. Outrageous comparison.

Comment

He wasn't comparing career accomplishments so I'm not sure how you can use that argument in this particular case.

...Duncan never faced off against Shaq in the playoffs without Robinson manning the middle and came out a winner.

Comment

Well in 2003 Robinson played 23mpg in playoffs and played under that average in the lakers series. The guy who posted asked if Bosh was approaching Tim Duncan's prime level of play. So I think career accomplishments in his prime are fairly relevant. Duncan was putting up 6,7,8 blocks in clutch games in his prime along with 20 rebound games, that's why they went deep in the playoffs. Bosh will just not ever get there. I dare him to, and in T.O.

...One similarity, I think they both have the same plantar fasciitis problem in their feet. Which doesn't get brought up really when talking about Bosh's new contract. Although Duncan is still trucking so I guess it's not that big a deal.
                          Last edited by DoubleR_T; Wed Feb 17, 2010, 07:00 PM.

Comment

DoubleR_T wrote: View Post
                            Well in 2003 Robinson played 23mpg in playoffs and played under that average in the lakers series. The guy who posted asked if Bosh was approaching Tim Duncan's prime level of play. So I think career accomplishments in his prime are fairly relevant. Duncan was putting up 6,7,8 blocks in clutch games in his prime along with 20 rebound games, that's why they went deep in the playoffs. Bosh will just not ever get there. I dare him to, and in T.O.
                            Team success depends so much on the team that's around you. Just ask Michael Jordan. Bosh has never been blessed with the great rosters Duncan has year in year out since day one. This is why I think he left team success out of the mix. You throw Duncan on the Pacers and suddenly he's missing the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                            X