Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Some more evidence that Colangelo was an incompetent idiot

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    It's possible that's true, but I think it's extraordinarily unlikely. As I've mentioned several times, media members frequently confuse the two, and team press releases even sometimes call non-guaranteed years team options because it's what fans and the media understand. And if you don't believe me on that read the shamsports article linked above.

Let's wait until we've gotten the real scoop from some some reliable sources--this distinction is definitely of the CBA-nerd variety, so it's not wise to trust mainstream sources.

I think that's a good point, and I think it's definitely why you see deals that have guarantee dates in the middle of the summer (like Lowry's) having a partially guaranteed portion. The team wants the chance to use the contract as a trade asset during free agency, like you said, but it's disadvantageous for the player, so they negotiate cash compensation instead--works out for both sides.

But what you see a lot more often are deals where the guarantee date is June 30th. That means the team has to make a decision before free agency starts, at the same time they would on a team option deal (because, like you said, the player wouldn't want to miss out on early free agency wheeling and dealing). The only difference is that the non-guaranteed version of the deal allows a trade to be made between the end of the season and the start of free agency--for example on draft day.
    That is a great point.

I guess the issue becomes with having the guarantee date prior to July 1st is:
    1) how much is the player asking for,
    2) how much much of a cap hit does a team want to take on the following season for a guy who won't be on the roster.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That is a great point.

I guess the issue becomes with having the guarantee date prior to July 1st is:
    1) how much is the player asking for,
    2) how much much of a cap hit does a team want to take on the following season for a guy who won't be on the roster.
    I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying. A (full) guarantee date before July 1 would mean that there's zero cap hit the following season if the player's waived before then; if not it's just the same as a guaranteed deal. That's why these particular types of deals are so popular with front offices, and acceptable to players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying. A (full) guarantee date before July 1 would mean that there's zero cap hit the following season if the player's waived before then; if not it's just the same as a guaranteed deal. That's why these particular types of deals are so popular with front offices, and acceptable to players.
    First bold: still holding the premise most non-guaranteed deals come with some sort of guaranteed cash attached.

Second bold: players are negotiating for their best interests and front offices the same. Give and take, negotiation, whatever you want to call it. The player is saying I'll take the uncertainty but it is going to cost you something. Obviously fringe NBA players are not going to get this luxury but established NBA talent is often in demand. Even John Lucas last season had three teams after him: Toronto, Miami, and Chicago.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

While watching the news yesterday, the terms of A Bynum's contract with Cleveland caught my attention. Apparently the second year is a team option with 6 mil. guaranteed. It means that if his second year is not picked up, Cleveland would owe Bynum 6 mil. This could be the part that tilted the deal Cleveland's way. For example maybe another team was offering to guarantee 4 mil. of the 2nd year.

In the case of Lucas, maybe we didn't hear of any such thing because the probable amount was very small. My point is, it may be the reason his 2nd year was a 'team option' and not 'non-guaranteed'. May be.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    While watching the news yesterday, the terms of A Bynum's contract with Cleveland caught my attention. Apparently the second year is a team option with 6 mil. guaranteed. It means that if his second year is not picked up, Cleveland would owe Bynum 6 mil. This could be the part that tilted the deal Cleveland's way. For example maybe another team was offering to guarantee 4 mil. of the 2nd year.

In the case of Lucas, maybe we didn't hear of any such thing because the probable amount was very small. My point is, it may be the reason his 2nd year was a 'team option' and not 'non-guaranteed'. May be.
    No, only $6M guaranteed TOTAL:

Sources told Stein that $6 million of the $24 million offered by Cleveland is guaranteed. Bynum would be forced to reach a variety of incentive benchmarks to collect the full $12 million in Year 1, according to sources, while Year 2 was pitched by Cleveland as a team option year.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...um-weigh-risks
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    No, only $6M guaranteed TOTAL:
    Sorry, I misunderstood. Thanks for the correction Matt.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Sorry, I misunderstood. Thanks for the correction Matt.
    No worries.

It really is incredible given his talent and ability it speaks to how far and fast he has fallen.
    Tim Leiweke

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude we all hate BC but...

It's John freaking Lucas... pipe down

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I was a mod for threads like this..I'd just post "respect ma authoratay!" and close it
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

*ducks in*

Hansbrough has a partially guaranteed contract for next season, not a team option.

From the ShamSports guy.

*ducks out*

11. Like Dr. James Naismith, tkfu liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe it is taking three pages to expose more evidence of Colangelo's incompetence. I would have thought one and a half pages would get it done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mark Deeks wrote: View Post
    *ducks in*

Hansbrough has a partially guaranteed contract for next season, not a team option.

From the ShamSports guy.

*ducks out*
    Indeed.....

Meanwhile, the team could not officially confirm the addition of free-agent forward Tyler Hansbrough. He’s agreed to a two-year contract — the first fully guaranteed for about $3 million, the second a team option with a $1 million buyout....

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...or_awhile.html
    Tim Leiweke

14. Like Axel liked this post

Thread Information