Thread: I guess John Wall didn't know that the Raptors play in Canada

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I guess John Wall didn't know that the Raptors play in Canada

It starts at around 0:45. This is hilarious yet at the same time extremely sad! Is this a recurring trend with basketball players? It is still entirely possible that they just mistranslated the sentence since it's in Mandarin. Still... Really John Wall?

P.S. Mods feel free to move this to "Let's NBA" if you see fit...

Post Thanks / Like

John Wall is notoriously dumb as a brick
    @jerboat

3. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a big surprise. Canada and America are very identical, both in North america. But yea John Wall isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's probably an honest mistake, he was probably thinking more internationally.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

6. Like Letter N, LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

would posit that it's far more likely since he's reading lines that are literally in fucking chinese to him that he does in fact realize when he goes through customs and has his passport checked to play games against the raptors he is entering another country.

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    John Wall is notoriously dumb as a brick
    can you bear that out a little further? that's the first time i've heard anything of the sort and i've followed pretty closely since he committed to uk. a quick google search only shows what a waste of breath colin cowherd is (but we already knew that) and that some guy named jason reid working for the post who shat on him for getting inked is pretty stupid.

or is this just basic blowhardery like the poster in another thread a few days ago who called him a selfish player? clearly that guy's never seen him play or know anything about him.

8. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

got posted twice
    Last edited by chris; Tue Jul 2nd, 2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: double post

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

did dwight say he farted in mandarin at 1:24? haha.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Yes, he did. I lol'd.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote chris wrote: View Post
    would posit that it's far more likely since he's reading lines that are literally in fucking chinese to him that he does in fact realize when he goes through customs and has his passport checked to play games against the raptors he is entering another country.
    Exactly, he's reading lines phonetically written in front of him while being asked questions in basically jibberish as far as he can tell.

If anything get mad at the person who wrote those lines for them to say.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why so serious? Guy just answered a question in a language, which is mind blowing even to me. I think it's easier to say it is true, than to list all countries. Plus ^ that guys comment.
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is pointless. DO you all have such an inferiority complex? Some non-educated group of athletes doing a promo are ignorant of their own lives. I'm sure John Wall couldn't properly answer a bunch of easy questions.

I mean, I'm 99% sure if someone asked him "have you ever been outside the 50 states?" he'd probably say "no", despite the fact that he lives/works in DC, which is not a state.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    This thread is pointless. DO you all have such an inferiority complex? Some non-educated group of athletes doing a promo are ignorant of their own lives. I'm sure John Wall couldn't properly answer a bunch of easy questions.

I mean, I'm 99% sure if someone asked him "have you ever been outside the 50 states?" he'd probably say "no", despite the fact that he lives/works in DC, which is not a state.
    I'm confused by your statement. Can you re-phrase it, please?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I'm confused by your statement. Can you re-phrase it, please?
    I think he means something along the lines of: most athletes are stupid and these types of answers should be expected of them. He's right.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

17. Like white men can't jump liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I think he means something along the lines of: most athletes are stupid and these types of answers should be expected of them. He's right.
    True. I agree with him on this thread being stupid as fuck
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

i interpreted it as that there is a real weird insecurity in canadian media and maybe the canadian public in general and definitely on this here board where people love to cry american ignorance/arrogance and yet still pine for validation.

american media pays almost no attention to the raptors because we're irrelevant on the nba landscape. it's nothing personal.

john wall probably doesn't think much about canada because why would he? also not personal.

and like i said upthread i'd bet a dollar he knows what country toronto is.

and yeah, thread is dumb

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    True. I agree with him on this thread being stupid as fuck
    This thread is stupid.

As Chris says.....fuelled by illogical insecurities.

And also prompted by a statement of a professional athlete who probably stopped doing his homework sometime in high school. The 2nd part of my statement was made to suggest that many of these guys would be totally ignorant about THEIR OWN COUNTRY, let alone anything beyond those borders. Hence I said if the question had been "have you ever travelled outside the 50 states?", he'd probably say "no", not realizing/thinking that DC is not a state (it's a district), and he thus lives and works outside the 50 states for half the year.

Seriously, ignoring American/Canadian aspects of this....professional athletes who stop having to educate themselves when they're still teens are like the worst people to care about their knowledge. I remember when LeBron came into the league, and was doing promos where he'd have to read cue cards....Dude would read at like a 3rd grade level. 10 second spots became 20.

Enjoy the basketball....but most of these guys don't have the insight to say anything worth listening to on another subject. Most of them don't care about being smart or informed.

*Oh and also it's not like the other guys corrected him. It's just a stupid promo. Maybe I'm right and he's not the most educated/quickest thinker...maybe he just didn't care since it's a stupid promo.

21. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    This thread is stupid.

As Chris says.....fuelled by illogical insecurities.

And also prompted by a statement of a professional athlete who probably stopped doing his homework sometime in high school. The 2nd part of my statement was made to suggest that many of these guys would be totally ignorant about THEIR OWN COUNTRY, let alone anything beyond those borders. Hence I said if the question had been "have you ever travelled outside the 50 states?", he'd probably say "no", not realizing/thinking that DC is not a state (it's a district), and he thus lives and works outside the 50 states for half the year.

Seriously, ignoring American/Canadian aspects of this....professional athletes who stop having to educate themselves when they're still teens are like the worst people to care about their knowledge. I remember when LeBron came into the league, and was doing promos where he'd have to read cue cards....Dude would read at like a 3rd grade level. 10 second spots became 20.

Enjoy the basketball....but most of these guys don't have the insight to say anything worth listening to on another subject. Most of them don't care about being smart or informed.

*Oh and also it's not like the other guys corrected him. It's just a stupid promo. Maybe I'm right and he's not the most educated/quickest thinker...maybe he just didn't care since it's a stupid promo.
    Lebron is one dumb fuck. I'm not even going to argue with you on that.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    john wall is notoriously dumb as a brick
    hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Canadian, currently living on another continent, and I pretty much roll canadian and the us together when talking to people here in Africa. From the perspective of another continent, where they study North American History as much as we study the history of Africa, we've got the same history, culture, and economy.

In any event, it's a non-issue for me. Unless I am also stupid as a brick. Which may be true.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    John "The Brick" Wall everbody!
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Thread Information