Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistons interested in Rudy Gay

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

All this talk about what we would take from Detroit is pointless. Dumars was actually dumb enough to think that Masai is into full blow-up and tank mode. He's looking to add a quality SF without losing any of his current quality assets. I've no doubt Masai has forgot about that phone call about 5 minutes after he stopped laughing.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the talking heads responses to the offer. MU isn't BC

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, also, while Monroe is clearly a better player, Mitchell intrigues me FAR more. Again, I'm not a fan of positionless players, which I always associate to D. Monroe strikes me as that type of guy. Don't know if he's committed to the physicality of C. Don't think he's got the speed/motor for PF.

Mitchell has EXCELLENT physical tools at PF, and while he's definitely a project offensively, this team isn't dying for an offensive player. I'm fully confident in JV's growth, and if not next year, by his 3rd year he'll be a nightly anchor in the post. What we need are good defensive players around him so that they can fuel the transition game of our athletic perimeter players by forcing turnovers and dominating the glass. And it would be an excellent bonus if those guys (like Amir Johnson and Tony Mitchell) are great at getting up and down the court, and using their athleticism to attack the hoop/glass hard as trails.

Honestly, I'm getting way too excited just thinking about it. That's why I'm really big on getting a guy like Tristan Thompson. Hey, there's a better team to deal Gay to!

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Monroe to me seems like Al Jefferson 2.0. A solid PF offensively but lacking defensively and really won't take your team anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote drunkmunky wrote: View Post
    Ok. What does that have to do w/ Rudy Gay?

I think Masai will keep Rudy and DeRozan as a package together to test how they will play in the first half of the season.
    I think it depends on the offer.

Again, I said this in another thread...I want Masai, and the Raptors as an organization to....

-Maintain draft assets...This means, first and foremost, never having a pickless draft like BC got them into. And second, it means being very frugal when trading picks. The Lowry trade was a gamble, but not bad at the time. It became much worse as BC continued to trade away picks.
    -Sell high on non-keepers (trust Masai and front office to make these choices)
    -Avoid compromising financial flexibility....realize they will want to spend to win...but spend to WIN, not to make it look like you're trying. This means even the big contracts should be movable.

I underlined the second. I am ok with Ujiri trading either one or both now, if he perceives an offer he gets as one of the highest value, as in, neither guy is likely to play up their value to the level where they'd get another such offer. And in relation to the 3rd, I don't think either guy's contract makes him immovable, especially after seeing Ujiri turn two years of Bargs at 23 million into more manageable assets and 3 draft picks.

A lot depends on the front office...but that's kind of the way it's supposed to be. Even the spenders have to be well managed (LAL pretty much since Showtime) or else turn into a train wreck (NYK for the last decade).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Monroe to me seems like Al Jefferson 2.0. A solid PF offensively but lacking defensively and really won't take your team anywhere.
    I keep thinking Derrick Coleman. Does anybody remember him?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

At what point can Ujiri negotiate a contract extension with Gay? Because right now might be a good time to consider that. Same with Lowry. The two are buddies, treat them as a package. Call them in, sell them on the vision for building a championship here, say how much the Raptors can afford to sign them to long-term and make them center-pieces of that vision, and if they can't reach a reasonable agreement, one or both will end up on the trading block. I don't like Gay under his current contract, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a pricetag that makes a lot of sense for both parties. Same with Lowry: I'd want to know ASAP if he's going to price himself out of Ujiri's philosophy next offseason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I keep thinking Derrick Coleman. Does anybody remember him?
    I remember him but I'm not sure I'd go with that comparison. Coleman was an undersized Barkley wanna-be. Monroe has good size and is a consistent rebounder. Al Jefferson might be a better comparison but even then, Monroe is a great passer (for a big), while Al Jeff is a black hole.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    At what point can Ujiri negotiate a contract extension with Gay? Because right now might be a good time to consider that. Same with Lowry. The two are buddies, treat them as a package. Call them in, sell them on the vision for building a championship here, say how much the Raptors can afford to sign them to long-term and make them center-pieces of that vision, and if they can't reach a reasonable agreement, one or both will end up on the trading block. I don't like Gay under his current contract, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a pricetag that makes a lot of sense for both parties. Same with Lowry: I'd want to know ASAP if he's going to price himself out of Ujiri's philosophy next offseason.
    Ujiri can extend Gay's contract right now - assuming he wants to extend it at Gay's current salary level. Which is the problem. Nobody in their right mind wants to extend Gay at his current salary level, because he is wildly overpaid and not worth a max deal. (Of course BC talked about it, but that just makes the point.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    I remember him but I'm not sure I'd go with that comparison. Coleman was an undersized Barkley wanna-be. Monroe has good size and is a consistent rebounder. Al Jefferson might be a better comparison but even then, Monroe is a great passer (for a big), while Al Jeff is a black hole.
    Coleman was 6'10'', he wasn't undersized. He just didn't jump...or run....or try really hard most of the time. Coleman was an excellent rebounder though. *And a decent passer.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...colemde01.html

Note the amount of games missed and the quick drop...clearly didn't take care of himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Coleman was 6'10'', he wasn't undersized. He just didn't jump...or run....or try really hard most of the time. Coleman was an excellent rebounder though.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...colemde01.html

Note the amount of games missed and the quick drop...clearly didn't take care of himself.
    I don't remember him as much of a rebounder, but I guess my memory is off. He was a lazy d-bag for sure though. Plus I'm pretty sure he was an alcoholic. I don't even mean that to be a dick, I'm pretty sure he seriously had alcohol abuse problems.

He only played 70+ games 4 times in his career too.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    All this talk about what we would take from Detroit is pointless. Dumars was actually dumb enough to think that Masai is into full blow-up and tank mode. He's looking to add a quality SF without losing any of his current quality assets. I've no doubt Masai has forgot about that phone call about 5 minutes after he stopped laughing.
    You have to start negotiations somewhere.

But, yes, I think you're right overall here... especially the laughing part.

It would be interesting to see what happens if Josh Smith ends up in Detroit. I can't believe anyone thinks a front court of Smith-Monroe-Drummond will work as a starting lineup.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    I don't remember him as much of a rebounder, but I guess my memory is off. He was a lazy d-bag for sure though. Plus I'm pretty sure he was an alcoholic. I don't even mean that to be a dick, I'm pretty sure he seriously had alcohol abuse problems.

He only played 70+ games 4 times in his career too.
    Are you thinking Vin Baker?
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't know if Coleman is the best comparison for Monroe...but I can see somewhat similar career trajectories.

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't know if Coleman is the best comparison for Monroe...but I can see somewhat similar career trajectories.
    What do Piston fans/reporters say about him?

What is his character, work ethic?

The big problem with Coleman was he had million dollar talent and 5cent character. I've never read anything to suggest Monroe was in any way similar.
    Tim Leiweke

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You have to start negotiations somewhere.

But, yes, I think you're right overall here... especially the laughing part.

It would be interesting to see what happens if Josh Smith ends up in Detroit. I can't believe anyone thinks a front court of Smith-Monroe-Drummond will work as a starting lineup.
    It's beyond me too. It seems Mr Moneybags in Detroit has Dumars going after every big money guy he thinks might be available, and Dumars is taking shots in the dark, regardless of fit. I see Dumars getting desperate and winding up doing another Charlie V/Gordon off season.

17. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What do Piston fans/reporters say about him?

What is his character, work ethic?

The big problem with Coleman was he had million dollar talent and 5cent character. I've never read anything to suggest Monroe was in any way similar.
    I don't think Monroe is that bad...admittedly.

But I also haven't seen him improve in the way he needs to most. He seems to focus on the things he likes to do...on offense.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you thinking Vin Baker?
    Nope, definitely thinking Coleman.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...n_speeding_ap/

"Philadelphia 76ers forward Derrick Coleman was arrested when police said he refused to take a breath test for alcohol after being stopped for driving about 100 mph.

The speed limit on Interstate 696 in the Detroit suburb is 70 mph."

http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/20...or-bankruptcy/

Coleman was the poster boy for under-achieving super talented players who failed to live up to their potential. After a stellar 4 year career at Syracuse where he along with Billy Owens led the Orange to 4 consecutive deep NCAA Tournament runs in the late 80′s. After being selected as the #1 overall pick of the NJ Nets in the ’90 NBA Draft, Coleman at first impressed, by winning the NBA Rookie of the Year Award and was selected as a member of the USA Dream Team II. He was so impressive that many experts compared him to NBA Hall of Famers Charles Barkley and Karl Malone.

But his career was overshadowed by a myriad of injuries and a questionable attitude and work ethic. Even though he was deemed an elite player for the first 5 years into his career, he only played in 70 or more games in 4 of his 15 seasons in the NBA. He had a number of off the court issues including alcohol abuse, minor arrests, and excessive weight gain.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get Monroe AND KCP, I'd take both Stuckey and CV off their hands.... might even throw them a 2nd rounder myself.
    yeah i could do that
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the first real indication of MU's intent. A full blown tank job would surely mean trading Gay.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information