Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistons interested in Rudy Gay

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post

Maybe the first real indication of MU's intent. A full blown tank job would surely mean trading Gay.
    Broussard is a talking butt ( vs talking head), but trading Gay would not necessarily represent a tank.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    Broussard is a talking butt ( vs talking head), but trading Gay would not necessarily represent a tank.
    Ok then...how about...

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post

Maybe the first real indication of MU's intent. A full blown tank job would surely mean trading Gay.
    Remember that Chris Broussard has a lengthy history of simply reading other people's tweets and calling them "sources." For all we know, he read Wolstat's Tweet about the Raps laughing the Detroit offer out of the room and that's who "told" him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Remember that Chris Broussard has a lengthy history of simply reading other people's tweets and calling them "sources." For all we know, he read Wolstat's Tweet about the Raps laughing the Detroit offer out of the room and that's who "told" him.
    That's not just a Broussard thing, that's an ESPN thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Broussard is the senior in college that copy and pastes from wikipedia
    @jerboat

6. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Raps fans and all the talking heads are saying that the Raptors need good assets along with salary cap relief to part with Gay. If Colangelo is such an idiot, how did he get Gay for Ed Davis and Calderon, who was UFA this off-season anyway? It seems likely that if MU trades Gay, it will be an upgrade from what BC paid for him.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Broussard's tweet is timed before Wolstat's.

Wolstats content is the correct negotiating posture for the Raps....if you want him come and get him...we arent giving him away.
    Last edited by Bendit; Wed Jul 3rd, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    Interesting. Raps fans and all the talking heads are saying that the Raptors need good assets along with salary cap relief to part with Gay. If Colangelo is such an idiot, how did he get Gay for Ed Davis and Calderon, who was UFA this off-season anyway? It seems likely that if MU trades Gay, it will be an upgrade from what BC paid for him.
    I'll use my opinion to speak for the entire group because this is the Internet, but.....

Fans didn't hate on Colangelo for every bad decision, in fact he made a fair number of good to great moves with small signings and trades but as a whole he failed with little to no direction and a poor drafting record and an even poorer understanding of the value of his draft picks years after the fact.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is reading something more in to a Bargnani trade than actually should be... Or giving more value to Bargnani than deserving:

The Raptors have already made one cap-clearing trade this week, shipping off Andrea Bargnani and the $23 million left on his deal to the New York Knicks with an eye toward cleaning their books following the 2013-14 season. New Toronto general manager Masai Ujiri is sending signals that he intends to tear down much of the Raptors' bloated payroll and moving Gay could be part of that plan.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/94...ay-sources-say
    MU took best deal IMO.

Don't think direction is known until after next deal.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

11. Like p00ka, Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    I'll use my opinion to speak for the entire group because this is the Internet, but.....

Fans didn't hate on Colangelo for every bad decision, in fact he made a fair number of good to great moves with small signings and trades but as a whole he failed with little to no direction and a poor drafting record and an even poorer understanding of the value of his draft picks years after the fact.
    To further that..... Memphis were also looking for much less salary coming back and specific player to fit on wing.

Trades are hard enough but to throw in such specific criteria is much harder.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think this is reading something more in to a Bargnani trade than actually should be... Or giving more value to Bargnani than deserving:

MU took best deal IMO.

Don't think direction is known until after next deal.
    Agreed. Bargnani wasn't worth a lot and his salary was a hard fit for many teams. MU found a team that was willing to part with picks and players. Even if we end up with a mid20's pick in 2016 and a couple of years of Steve Novak parked in the corner, I am happy.

14. Like mcHAPPY, Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've said it before. The raptors will be the leafs of last year. BC's team will make the playoff(like Burke's team). Than they'll lose a game 7 up 8 with a min left.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Ujiri is stupid enough to tank this year. There is no way he's putting the future of this franchise in the hands of luck (which we've never had to begin with)

17. Like CalgaryRapsFan, p00ka liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I don't think Ujiri is stupid enough to tank this year. There is no way he's putting the future of this franchise in the hands of luck (which we've never had to begin with)
    Luck is better than putting this franchise in the hands of basically average and overpaid players, which is mostly what we've got. Seriously, it's like Raps fans want this team to be the Milwaukee Bucks.

And it's not about luck. Like others have said: it's about maximizing value. Aiming to get a high draft pick in a loaded year is one good way to maximize value, so working towards that is a viable strategy. We shouldn't trade away Rudy for crap like Detroit wanted, because that's not good value - but if they offered us promising young players and/or draft picks, or if another team like Golden State or Cleveland does, then that is good value and we should make that trade. Expiring contracts are good value too because next year's free agent crop is extremely strong even if we aren't going to make a serious bid for LeBron (which we won't).

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think people are really comprehending how strong this draft is
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

People want all this cap space. Players won't come here into we built a winning culture. That's why I say let this team make the playoffs for a couple more years. Than when Rudy comes off in two years players will actually want to come here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

By the looks of things, any top 8 pick in this draft will be worth celebrating. This draft looks fucking nasty

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Everyone outside the top 4, cept for maybe GR3, aren't even considered a "sure thing". On top of that half the league is taking for these guys...

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    People want all this cap space. Players won't come here into we built a winning culture. That's why I say let this team make the playoffs for a couple more years. Than when Rudy comes off in two years players will actually want to come here.
    I don't think it works that way. Free agents look at rosters when making decisions. If Rudy (one the main reasons why we make the playoffs) is gone, I can't see free agents lining up to join a team without him.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I don't think most "tank at all costs" supporters comprehend, or haven't been around long enough to realize, that despite all the hype:
    1. every single year, hyped high school players don't live up to their hype when they get to college.
    2. every year, hyped college players don't live up to their hype when they get to the NBA
    3. every year, hyped NBA rookies don't live up to their hype in subsequent years.

Anyone who are convinced that there are 6-7 generational, change a franchise future, players in that draft, doesn't understand these facts. There's reason the draft is often referred to as a crapshoot. I don't know about other mocks, but one I just looked at has 4 of top 7 picks as players that haven't stepped on even a college floor yet.

Will there be an all star or 3 come out of the draft? It looks like a safe bet, but when I look at the past 10 years of "change a franchise's fortune" type players, I see Lebron (how did Cavs fortunes do with that?), KD, CP3 (how did NOLA's fortunes do with that?), Dwight (how did Orlando's fortunes do with that?), so even if you're lucky enough to get one of them, there's a good chance you had to be so bad that you can't keep them long enough to actually win anything. Then you're stuck building from scratch again.

25. Like RandomGuy liked this post
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information