Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistons interested in Rudy Gay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Raps really might be in great position to trade gay.

When looking at Cleveland and Detroit:

Both teams owners as publicly pushing playoffs with new coaches, both have expressed interest in Rudy in the past, both have crazy cap space, both have interesting assets from raptor perspective, and bob organizations have shown history of short sighted thinking in quest to compete sooner than later.

If pistons land smith, things could get very interesting. A bidding war would be awesome!
    The Raps have never benefited from a bidding war before. When we sold off all our previous assets over the years, we were desperate. This time we could have the leverage to be in the power position of negotiations. #RapsIn2018!

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    The Raps have never benefited from a bidding war before. When we sold off all our previous assets over the years, we were desperate. This time we could have the leverage to be in the power position of negotiations. #RapsIn2018!
    The only times I remember the Raptors trading from a position of strength was when we traded for Carter, and when we traded for Gay.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The only times I remember the Raptors trading from a position of strength was when we traded for Carter, and when we traded for Gay.
    I don't think we really had a position of strength in the Gay trade. We needed to move Jose as much as they wanted to move Gay. Pretty even if you ask me.

As for VC, any strength we had when we acquired him on draft night was negated by the supreme-raping that we got when we sent him to the Nets.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we really had a position of strength in the Gay trade. We needed to move Jose as much as they wanted to move Gay. Pretty even if you ask me.
    I meant in terms of Davis' hightened value at the time of the trade. He's a scrub. We were lucky to get a rotation player, let alone a starter in exchange for him.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I meant in terms of Davis' hightened value at the time of the trade. He's a scrub. We were lucky to get a rotation player, let alone a starter in exchange for him.
    Ah, inflated values. I get what your saying but I was really talking about having the power to walk away. We don't need to trade Gay, but if the Cavs/Pistons are desperate to add an established SF and try to out-bid each other, then we can really get maximum value. I don't think we've ever had that happen in team history.

6. Like JStockton, Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, we were in a position of strength when we traded Carter? Vince made it clear he didn't want to play for us, which lowered his trade value immensely because everybody knew we needed to get SOMETHING.

As for the Gay trade: no. We were the only ones willing to pay full pop for Rudy; everybody else was doing exactly what was done to us with the Vince trade and offering cents on the dollar for him because they knew Memphis wanted to shed his salary.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    I'm sorry, we were in a position of strength when we traded Carter? Vince made it clear he didn't want to play for us, which lowered his trade value immensely because everybody knew we needed to get SOMETHING.

As for the Gay trade: no. We were the only ones willing to pay full pop for Rudy; everybody else was doing exactly what was done to us with the Vince trade and offering cents on the dollar for him because they knew Memphis wanted to shed his salary.
    Read his post again: traded FOR Carter. aka the draft day trade with he and Jamison.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

9. Like JStockton, ceez, Nilanka, Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, we were in a position of strength when we traded Carter? Vince made it clear he didn't want to play for us....
    We were in a position of strength when we traded FOR Carter, using Jamison's heightened value in our favour.

Edit: Perhaps "position of strength" was a poor choice of words on my part. What I was referring to was really the concept of maximizing a player's value on the trade market.

I can't help but look back and think what Colangelo could've received for Bargnani had he been shopped during his infamous 13-game stretch 2 years ago.
    Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:14 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't help but look back and think what Colangelo could've received for Bargnani had he been shopped during his infamous 13-game stretch 2 years ago.
    BC like many of the GMs on this board (incl yours truly) were similarly tantalized by that magical transformation....I am reminded by the movie "Encounters of the Third kind" when there were many scenes where gathered crowds looked on in wonderment with that "is this really happening" look. And then.....poof.

The only problem...BC was paid $5 mill. per to be dispassionate and unmoved by such supernatural-like occurrences.

12. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    why do people keep mentioning the 4-19 start as some bizarre anomaly that shouldn't be counted in the overall stats? its like saying "other than all the games lost, the raptors were winning!"
    Probably because we had such a different roster at the start of last season. Bargs was the starting PF. Jose was still our backup PG. Ed Davis was playing heavy minutes. JV was playing his first NBA minutes and hadn't figured it out yet. Oh, and we didn't have Rudy Gay at SF, which is kinda a big deal since he is our best player by a wide margin. (currently, JV will get there).

So when you consider all the roster changes since then, you can't say that this team we have right now was the team that went 4-19 last year.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Probably because we had such a different roster at the start of last season. Bargs was the starting PF. Jose was still our backup PG. Ed Davis was playing heavy minutes. JV was playing his first NBA minutes and hadn't figured it out yet. Oh, and we didn't have Rudy Gay at SF, which is kinda a big deal since he is our best player by a wide margin. (currently, JV will get there).

So when you consider all the roster changes since then, you can't say that this team we have right now was the team that went 4-19 last year.
    Plus the combo of Andrea and JV in the front court was terrible deffensively.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As for VC, any strength we had when we acquired him on draft night was negated by the supreme-raping that we got when we sent him to the Nets.
    We did not need to move Jose at all, and our desire to trade him paled in comparison to Memphis desire to move Gay. Memphis needed to move Gay to get under the luxury tax. Gay's contract was 2 years longer than Jose's and way way bigger. The Raps didn't need to move Jose to get under the cap, we already were under the cap and Jose was expiring. Jose was just a nice trade piece thanks to his large salary for salary matching purposes, as well as his above average play.

Post Thanks / Like

I read a tweet from David Aldridge I believe (just trying to remember), that Ujiri picked up the phone, listened, and told them nice try. Sorry if that tweet was already posted.

Quite frankly, expirings are too little for Rudy.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

We did not need to move Jose at all, and our desire to trade him paled in comparison to Memphis desire to move Gay. Memphis needed to move Gay to get under the luxury tax. Gay's contract was 2 years longer than Jose's and way way bigger. The Raps didn't need to move Jose to get under the cap, we already were under the cap and Jose was expiring. Jose was just a nice trade piece thanks to his large salary for salary matching purposes, as well as his above average play.
    If I am not mistaken, in addition there weren't other suitors who could meet the financial/player criteria set by Memphis. I think Detroit were interested in Gay but I cant say why they did not do the deal considering they were in the back end of it flipping Prince for Jose....possibly the Grizz preferred Davis to anything Detroit had.

Post Thanks / Like

We had to move Jose for 2 reasons: #2 - to end the point guard split between Jose and Lowry, #1 - as an expiring deal, Jose's value was at its peak. If we had wasted that asset then we would be even more of a laughingstock than we already are.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Update on the "possible suitors for Rudy" list:

Charlotte just signed Al Jefferson to a three-year $41 million deal. I am not the biggest fan of Big Al, but teams planning to tank don't sign reasonably good centers to big deals; I would bet they would be interested in Rudy now, and there's so much to loot from them (Detroit and Portland's protected 2014 picks, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kemba Walker).

Post Thanks / Like

i'd do gay for tyrus thomas and a 2014 pick in a heartbeat
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Charlotte just signed Al Jefferson to a three-year $41 million deal. I am not the biggest fan of Big Al, but teams planning to tank don't sign reasonably good centers to big deals; I would bet they would be interested in Rudy now, and there's so much to loot from them (Detroit and Portland's protected 2014 picks, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kemba Walker).
    I still haven't lost faith in Kemba. He'd be a nice heir to Lowry's throne

Post Thanks / Like

Al Jeff has an opt-out after year 2, allowing the Bobcats to use their cap money on the 2016 free agent class of Bargnani!!! Ensuring the Bobcats are terrible for at least another decade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i'd do gay for tyrus thomas and a 2014 pick in a heartbeat
    especially if we could get them to throw in jeffrey taylor as "filler". dude is crazy underrated.
    @jerboat

24. Like Axel liked this post

Thread Information