Pistons interested in Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think this is reading something more in to a Bargnani trade than actually should be... Or giving more value to Bargnani than deserving:

MU took best deal IMO.

Don't think direction is known until after next deal.
    Agreed. Bargnani wasn't worth a lot and his salary was a hard fit for many teams. MU found a team that was willing to part with picks and players. Even if we end up with a mid20's pick in 2016 and a couple of years of Steve Novak parked in the corner, I am happy.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I've said it before. The raptors will be the leafs of last year. BC's team will make the playoff(like Burke's team). Than they'll lose a game 7 up 8 with a min left.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I don't think Ujiri is stupid enough to tank this year. There is no way he's putting the future of this franchise in the hands of luck (which we've never had to begin with)

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          I don't think Ujiri is stupid enough to tank this year. There is no way he's putting the future of this franchise in the hands of luck (which we've never had to begin with)
          Luck is better than putting this franchise in the hands of basically average and overpaid players, which is mostly what we've got. Seriously, it's like Raps fans want this team to be the Milwaukee Bucks.

And it's not about luck. Like others have said: it's about maximizing value. Aiming to get a high draft pick in a loaded year is one good way to maximize value, so working towards that is a viable strategy. We shouldn't trade away Rudy for crap like Detroit wanted, because that's not good value - but if they offered us promising young players and/or draft picks, or if another team like Golden State or Cleveland does, then that is good value and we should make that trade. Expiring contracts are good value too because next year's free agent crop is extremely strong even if we aren't going to make a serious bid for LeBron (which we won't).

Comment

• I don't think people are really comprehending how strong this draft is
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• People want all this cap space. Players won't come here into we built a winning culture. That's why I say let this team make the playoffs for a couple more years. Than when Rudy comes off in two years players will actually want to come here.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                I don't think people are really comprehending how strong this draft is
                http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

By the looks of things, any top 8 pick in this draft will be worth celebrating. This draft looks fucking nasty

Comment

• I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Everyone outside the top 4, cept for maybe GR3, aren't even considered a "sure thing". On top of that half the league is taking for these guys...

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    People want all this cap space. Players won't come here into we built a winning culture. That's why I say let this team make the playoffs for a couple more years. Than when Rudy comes off in two years players will actually want to come here.
                    I don't think it works that way. Free agents look at rosters when making decisions. If Rudy (one the main reasons why we make the playoffs) is gone, I can't see free agents lining up to join a team without him.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      I don't think people are really comprehending how strong this draft is
                      I don't think most "tank at all costs" supporters comprehend, or haven't been around long enough to realize, that despite all the hype:
                      1. every single year, hyped high school players don't live up to their hype when they get to college.
                      2. every year, hyped college players don't live up to their hype when they get to the NBA
                      3. every year, hyped NBA rookies don't live up to their hype in subsequent years.

Anyone who are convinced that there are 6-7 generational, change a franchise future, players in that draft, doesn't understand these facts. There's reason the draft is often referred to as a crapshoot. I don't know about other mocks, but one I just looked at has 4 of top 7 picks as players that haven't stepped on even a college floor yet.

Will there be an all star or 3 come out of the draft? It looks like a safe bet, but when I look at the past 10 years of "change a franchise's fortune" type players, I see Lebron (how did Cavs fortunes do with that?), KD, CP3 (how did NOLA's fortunes do with that?), Dwight (how did Orlando's fortunes do with that?), so even if you're lucky enough to get one of them, there's a good chance you had to be so bad that you can't keep them long enough to actually win anything. Then you're stuck building from scratch again.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        I don't think it works that way. Free agents look at rosters when making decisions. If Rudy (one the main reasons why we make the playoffs) is gone, I can't see free agents lining up to join a team without him.
                        Doesn't mean we can't resign Rudy.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          People want all this cap space. Players won't come here into we built a winning culture. That's why I say let this team make the playoffs for a couple more years. Than when Rudy comes off in two years players will actually want to come here.
                          Honestly I'd rather try lottery ball luck/asset accumulation than go that route.

Most guys are going to be 27/29 yrs of age and available to anyone and everyone.

Comment

• Micic is a guy getting no attention and is much deserving.

Between one and dones, sophomores, and intl players, 2014 is going to be great.

Comment

• I've never been ok with tanking. Its completely overrated, there isn't a single team in the past 10 to 12 years that comes to mind that tanked for a top pick and won an nba championship. The odds are so low its not even funny.
                              Also to me Ujiri doesn't look like the kind of guy who would tank intentionally, if he did trade Gay it would be for cheaper talent kinda like he did with Denver.

Comment

• Sam17 wrote: View Post
                                http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

By the looks of things, any top 8 pick in this draft will be worth celebrating. This draft looks fucking nasty
                                So, that means that all of the tanking teams (let's say 7 or 8) get a great player, and the Raptors are one of them. How does that make the Raptors any better than the other 6 or 7 tanking teams, let alone all of the better teams that didn't tank. It's not as though the Raptors can tank and then be the only team that improves by getting a good prospect.

The NBA has a lot of parity, so teams have to distinguish themselves by having a very good coach and system, and a team that is well-constructed. The other way to do it is have a few superstars collude to play together. For the Raptors, they should be looking at models like Memphis and Indiana. The only top 5 picks that Memphis has had in the past 15 years are Hasheem Thabeet, Kevin Love and Mike Conley. They traded Love for another top 5 pick (OJ Mayo). Only Conley remains with the team, and he good but not a superstar. The rest of their team was built through good picks (later in the draft), and shrewd team building.

Indiana has had only one top 10 pick in 15 years (George at #10). They built the team with good talent assessment and understanding how a team is constructed.

These seem to be realistic and more rational models for building a team.

Colangelo did a good job of buying low on Gay (from a basketball perspective). He is young enough that his value is going to increase substantially in the next couple of years as he comes closer to the end of his contract. If Gay meshes well with JV and the rest of the team, then the Raptors should try to build a very strong team with the core that they have. Perhaps they can swap DD for more compatible players that build a distinct defensive and offensive identity. That's what GMs are paid for.

Comment

Working...
                                X