Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs Next Year! Fool's Gold?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    What would be dreadful is the Raptors going full on tank mode, and getting the 8th pick in the draft.. then drafting a role player who's just decent off the bench.
    Deja vu?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote chris wrote: View Post
    bullshit!

how'd those spankings work out for philly? the bucks?

philly even made THE PROMISED LAND (2nd round) and thought so highly of the experience they blew it the hell up. i think they made a good choice!

bucks got destroyed and now face the decision of whether to go philly's route or resign ellis and jennings and possibly get shallacked in the first round for the next five years! yay?!

how's being moderately good forever worked for atlanta?

how does squeaking in next year move this team any further along? it moves us further back, as teams behind us get better.
    7-11 is fine as long as it is not your ceiling.

76ers/Bucks had that as their ceiling.

Pacers/Grizz/OKC used it as a stepping stone (all in various ways).
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote chris wrote: View Post
    bullshit!

how'd those spankings work out for philly? the bucks?

philly even made THE PROMISED LAND (2nd round) and thought so highly of the experience they blew it the hell up. i think they made a good choice!

bucks got destroyed and now face the decision of whether to go philly's route or resign ellis and jennings and possibly get shallacked in the first round for the next five years! yay?!

how's being moderately good forever worked for atlanta?

how does squeaking in next year move this team any further along? it moves us further back, as teams behind us get better.
    Also it's hard to accept anything you say SINCE YOU THINK THE PROMISED LAND IS THE 2ND ROUND.

Playoffs is not the promised land. Finals is, at the very least, or strictly speaking, just being a champion. Playoffs is just when the real season starts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post

It is going to be insane. Some epsn heads were saying the other day that if the Lakers don't get dwight, they let kobe take his time coming back from injury, they trade gasol and tank away. If the Lakers and Celtics are both tanking, I think we can tolerate the stench of doing it too. Playoffs made by not looking at the future are fool's gold as all those other teams are stocking up for a run we won't be ready for
    I don't think 2003 will even compare to this year. Boston, Lakers (without Howard), Charlotte, Orlando, Philly, Bucks, Suns, Mavs (without Howard), and Kings all have a legit shot at the #1 pick. That's almost a third of the league!!

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    I don't think 2003 will even compare to this year. Boston, Lakers (without Howard), Charlotte, Orlando, Philly, Bucks, Suns, Mavs (without Howard), and Kings all have a legit shot at the #1 pick. That's almost a third of the league!!
    You can't avoid the tragic but hilarious thought that one of those teams is going to get Darko. Hope it's not us.

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's too late now for 2014, the secrets out. The asking price is too high.
    Look i'm all for getting a superstar, i argued that heavily, because a superstar will very rarely get traded in their prime, and you need them to win a championship to win you those 4th quarters.

the perinneal loosers will ask for the moon for their draft picks, and if we send out all our assests for a chance at a top 3 picks. Even if we get Wiggins, Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon, How are gonna surround them then ? we'll have no draft picks, no trade assets, we'll be a loosing team, who still can't attract free agents, and in 5 years, said superstar will walk if he didn't ask for a trade before Hand.

Stoudamire/Vince Carter/Mcgrady/Camby in their prime, sounds like a SICK line up, but we never surrounded those guys fast enough for one to wait for the other to come.

Lets collect 2015 and 2016 draft picks at a low price. And see who comes out as a potential next(.......) or who goes back to school, Jabari parker claims education is very important to him and wants to enjoy Duke, Like wiggins they dont seem to me like guys who get caught up in the glamour, that would put Parker in the 2016 draft maybe. Maybe someone projected out of the top 5 thinks he can be number #1 the year after.

Don't get caught up in the hype, we still have to approach this in smart, cautious way.

7. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we tank I really hope someone here invents a time machine so we can all skip the next 12 months. I fear for my television with another year of watching the Raptors lose. I seem to find myself throwing the remote control around a lot when my nights are wasted seeing this team blow 4th quarter leads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    If we tank I really hope someone here invents a time machine so we can all skip the next 12 months. I fear for my television with another year of watching the Raptors lose. I seem to find myself throwing the remote control around a lot when my nights are wasted seeing this team blow 4th quarter leads.
    If we go for tank, I don't think we'll have to worry about the team blowing any 4th quarter (or half-time) leads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    If we go for tank, I don't think we'll have to worry about the team blowing any 4th quarter (or half-time) leads.
    That's even worse.

I'd like to be positive about it and just start hoping they loose every game but I can't see myself doing that.

This could be a long winter...

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm coming around on the tanking argument. as much as I'd like to see the raptors in 2014 playoffs (and getting knocked out in the first round), in the long run it just seems like tanking has the better chance of improving the team overall, even if takes several more years of just horrible basketball. ugh.

Post Thanks / Like

That's even worse.

I'd like to be positive about it and just start hoping they loose every game but I can't see myself doing that.

This could be a long winter...
    As a long-time Raptors fan, you kind of get used to it. But there is also hope for the future!! Whether that future is the 2014 draft or the 2016 draft or beyond, we always have our hope!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    i'm coming around on the tanking argument. as much as I'd like to see the raptors in 2014 playoffs (and getting knocked out in the first round), in the long run it just seems like tanking has the better chance of improving the team overall, even if takes several more years of just horrible basketball. ugh.
    Several more years? This whole tanking concept has just about been beaten to death, but how would you feel if the following scenario took place:

- Masai blows up the whole team except JV. To get a high chance at a high lottery pick, virtually every decent asset currently on the team would have to be moved for scraps. If "good prospects" are returned, as many speak of, then if they really are good prospects, they may very perform as well, or close to the young players we gave away, shoving the "tank" down the drain.
    - So let's say the team is bad enough to have the 3rd worst record in the league, just like 2010-11. We not only lose the lottery, but drop to the 5th pick, which many tank proponents say is good enough for next year.
    - So now we're picking the 5th best prospect, who just doesn't pan out (happens often) or worse, blows his knee out, a la Oden.
    - We're left with JV, scraps, and a disabled draft pick and looking at more than "several" more bad years.

14. Like footarez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    Several more years? This whole tanking concept has just about been beaten to death, but how would you feel if the following scenario took place:

- Masai blows up the whole team except JV. To get a high chance at a high lottery pick, virtually every decent asset currently on the team would have to be moved for scraps. If "good prospects" are returned, as many speak of, then if they really are good prospects, they may very perform as well, or close to the young players we gave away, shoving the "tank" down the drain.
    - So let's say the team is bad enough to have the 3rd worst record in the league, just like 2010-11. We not only lose the lottery, but drop to the 5th pick, which many tank proponents say is good enough for next year.
    - So now we're picking the 5th best prospect, who just doesn't pan out (happens often) or worse, blows his knee out, a la Oden.
    - We're left with JV, scraps, and a disabled draft pick and looking at more than "several" more bad years.
    Or we could have kept BC and have had several more bad years regardless. Nothing is guaranteed, either way. I could make the same argument about tinkering with our current roster and we would end up in the same place; bad years.

Post Thanks / Like

If this plan even gives us a chance at Wiggins, Randle, Parker, or Smart, I say it's worth the risk.

Raptors Republic Starter hotfuzz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you remember correctly, tanking is what got us JV.
    "Duh! Winning"
    - Charlie Sheen

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    If you remember correctly, tanking is what got us JV.
    If you remember correctly, it was Cleveland picking Thomspon that landed us JV. Otherwise we would've had Biyombo, or I think the other option was a trade down for Knight? (could be wrong on whether it was for Knight as a target, but I remember a somewhat recent story on that trading down option)

Then we wouldn't need to have the "tank" debate, because we'd be worse, and maybe with no good prospects.

Raptors Republic Starter hotfuzz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    If you remember correctly, it was Cleveland picking Thomspon that landed us JV. Otherwise we would've had Biyombo, or I think the other option was a trade down for Knight? (could be wrong on whether it was for Knight as a target, but I remember a somewhat recent story on that trading down option)

Then we wouldn't need to have the "tank" debate, because we'd be worse, and maybe with no good prospects.
    Even the, we wouldn't have been in a position to pick JV had we not been as bad as we were.
    "Duh! Winning"
    - Charlie Sheen

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors are going for a miracle run. There is absolutely no point in tanking, way too many teams are doing it. Raptors should just trying to get the highest seed they possibly can in the playoffs and go for a franchise altering playoff run, enough with the taking BS. Leaving our fate in the hands of luck is a terrible idea.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

21. Like feet85 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    The Raptors are going for a miracle run. There is absolutely no point in tanking, way too many teams are doing it. Raptors should just trying to get the highest seed they possibly can in the playoffs and go for a franchise altering playoff run, enough with the taking BS. Leaving our fate in the hands of luck is a terrible idea.
    One can argue that leaving our fate in the hands of non-elite players is also a terrible idea.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

23. Like Axel, Sam17 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    One can argue that leaving our fate in the hands of non-elite players is also a terrible idea.
    Who says Gay or JV can't become elite? Even so look at Golden State. They don't have any Elite players (i don't consider Steph Curry elite i'm sorry).

Right now there is just too much uncertainty with this team. The roster is completely different from how we started off last season and the "main guy" has also changed from Lowry/DeRozan to Rudy Gay. We still don't know how Lowry will play, How much DeRozan has improved, How much Gay as improved, How much amir has improved, how much JV has improved, etc...
    On top of that, the front office has been shaken up big time and so has the coaching staff. Who's to say the Raptors have a Franchise year and have 1 maybe even 2 or 3 all stars?

My point is that, it is too early to tell how good or bad this team will be. IMO it is not a good idea to blow it up for the billionth time, we should just ride with it.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

25. Like p00ka liked this post

Thread Information