Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 20/20 Vision on DeRozan's contract

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 20/20 Vision on DeRozan's contract

Hindsight. We finally get to use it. Right up until going on to lose a heartbreaker to the pacers on opening night, we all debated extension vs restricted free agency for DeMar. So, now that the money is starting be thrown around at restricted free agents and others, it's a chance to see where we may have been if Colangelo didn't hand out that contract (stop laughing...it could happen). Tyreke Evans getting offered $44 million plus. Comparable? Who else? I'm not asking if DD is worth the contract. That's been beaten elsewhere. Just what might we have been facing now if he wasn't extended?

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We'd be facing the opportunity to let him walk instead of paying him too much for too little production.

Not a bad thing in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    We'd be facing the opportunity to let him walk instead of paying him too much for too little production.

Or use him in S&T to acquire a younger/cheaper/better player and/or one who plays a position of need and/or who fits with the rest of the Raptors roster better than he does - such as Dallas looking to S&T Mayo to LAC for Bledsoe, or Milwaukee looking to S&T Reddick to LAC for Bledsoe.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He would be a rfa and as such we have the right to match what the market would determine. In a way DD's contract is setting the market for Evans. As well...who is the better talent Tyreke Evans or DD? And this team lost flexibility by committing already to DD when it was done. I suppose the main reason for BC for doing this was he saw him as a core member of the team going forward. I did not and it seems he is in play by MU...but possibly constrained because of the contract.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

He would have been signed and traded.

The Derozan deal and the Gay trade have puzzled me. Why did MLSE allow them to take place if they weren't sure about BC? They've put the team in a difficult position.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post

The "opportunity" to do something stupid. Gotcha!

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Or use him in S&T to acquire a younger/cheaper/better player and/or one who plays a position of need and/or who fits with the rest of the Raptors roster better than he does - such as Dallas looking to S&T Mayo to LAC for Bledsoe, or Milwaukee looking to S&T Reddick to LAC for Bledsoe.
    Could still be used the same way in a trade, only already signed with, based on Evans' deal, a far from out of line contract, but management gets to dictate where to trade him rather than restricted to his choices.

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    He would be a rfa and as such we have the right to match what the market would determine. In a way DD's contract is setting the market for Evans. As well...who is the better talent Tyreke Evans or DD? And this team lost flexibility by committing already to DD when it was done. I suppose the main reason for BC for doing this was he saw him as a core member of the team going forward. I did not and it seems he is in play by MU...but possibly constrained because of the contract.
    " In a way DD's contract is setting the market for Evans."
    No

"As well...who is the better talent Tyreke Evans or DD?"
    Some would call that debatable, but that's not the topic. Evans got an offer of $1.5M/yr more than DD (another report had $2.5M/yr more), but we'll not know if DD may have gotten equal or more. Not only different skillsets, but apparently very different personalities/characters, and some teams value the DDs of the world more. In any case, if you feel Tyreke is worth more, then you should be happy that he's getting more, right?

"it seems he is in play by MU."

Did I miss something? Where has MU put him in play? You're not talking the Bledsoe speculation are you? Because nothing about that story says anything of the kind.
    Last edited by p00ka; Mon Jul 1st, 2013 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

" In a way DD's contract is setting the market for Evans."
    No

"As well...who is the better talent Tyreke Evans or DD?"
    Some would call that debatable, but that's not the topic. Evans got an offer of $1.5M/yr (another report had $2.5M/yr), but we'll not know if DD may have gotten equal or more. Not only different skillsets, but apparently very different personalities/characters, and some teams value the DDs of the world more. In any case, if you feel Tyreke is worth more, then you should be happy that he's getting more, right?

"it seems he is in play by MU."

Did I miss something? Where has MU put him in play? You're not talking the Bledsoe speculation are you? Because nothing about that story says anything of the kind.
    First bold: You didnt say why not? They are both SGs and DD got signed before TE so TE's agent worked off of that number plus ancillary items like current demand for TE and possibly stats (have not checked into that). Besides TE fancies himself as a PG as well I believe.

Second bold: Not going to quibble on this. Its what we do here...have opinions on players. The point was the early signing set a bar. And the more important one was it didnt need to be done. It has to do with the flexibility that was deprived the Raps not what TE ultimately is able to sign for. Due to many factors sometimes lesser players are able to sign larger contracts. eg. BC had enabled that quite liberally.

Third bold: I offer the following as an eg./basis for that statement. Possibility exists u dont read all the gossip:

"The Clippers, though, have been lukewarm on Toronto's pitches so far, sources say. The Raptors have been openly shopping out-of-favor forward Andrea Bargnani and have likewise pitched a trade scenario in which L.A. would receive both Bargnani and shooting guard DeMar DeRozan, but sources say that new Clippers coach Doc Rivers -- who was also named senior vice president of basketball operations -- continues to express interest in not only hanging onto Bledsoe but also keeping center DeAndre Jordan. ESPN.com"

....from the Hoopshype site

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    First bold: You didnt say why not? They are both SGs and DD got signed before TE so TE's agent worked off of that number plus ancillary items like current demand for TE and possibly stats (have not checked into that). Besides TE fancies himself as a PG as well I believe.

Second bold: Not going to quibble on this. Its what we do here...have opinions on players. The point was the early signing set a bar. And the more important one was it didnt need to be done. It has to do with the flexibility that was deprived the Raps not what TE ultimately is able to sign for. Due to many factors sometimes lesser players are able to sign larger contracts. eg. BC had enabled that quite liberally.

Third bold: I offer the following as an eg./basis for that statement. Possibility exists u dont read all the gossip:

"The Clippers, though, have been lukewarm on Toronto's pitches so far, sources say. The Raptors have been openly shopping out-of-favor forward Andrea Bargnani and have likewise pitched a trade scenario in which L.A. would receive both Bargnani and shooting guard DeMar DeRozan, but sources say that new Clippers coach Doc Rivers -- who was also named senior vice president of basketball operations -- continues to express interest in not only hanging onto Bledsoe but also keeping center DeAndre Jordan. ESPN.com"

....from the Hoopshype site
    1st & 2nd bold; I didn't explain because I think it's ridiculous to suggest one player's contract set the bar for another. The NBA isn't 30 mom & pop corner stores and negotiating contracts factors in many much more important factors than DDs contract.

3rd bold: Oh, I read most of the gossip, but just don't waste time taking them as more than anonymous speculation to stoke the passions of naive fans that need a fix. Some turn out to be true, but many not. If you wish to play along with that game, be my guest, but I'm saying I don't think it's fair to MU or DD or the Raps to be spouting it as truth.

9. Like Sam17 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    1st & 2nd bold; I didn't explain because I think it's ridiculous to suggest one player's contract set the bar for another. The NBA isn't 30 mom & pop corner stores and negotiating contracts factors in many much more important factors than DDs contract.

3rd bold: Oh, I read most of the gossip, but just don't waste time taking them as more than anonymous speculation to stoke the passions of naive fans that need a fix. Some turn out to be true, but many not. If you wish to play along with that game, be my guest, but I'm saying I don't think it's fair to MU or DD or the Raps to be spouting it as truth.
    So, you do not believe that agents use all manner of statistics, standards and yes other players in the similar category of playing position as comparative points to negotiate a favorable contract? You should read more about labour/salary negotiations. Or are you trying to make the case that DD is not a valid comparable to TE?

On the second para: Are you sure you are not wasting your time tapping out condescending notes on a frivolous subject such as the misfortunes of the Raptors Basketball club and the skills or future prospects of Demar D.? Alas I am unlike you it seems restricted to sites like ESPN for my information. Even then I try to filter out the Stephen Smiths. You must have more pristine contacts.

11. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tyreke Evans is as comparable as it gets to Derozan. Same draft, same position, and same not quite living up to their potential. The fact that Evans got offered $12M per year over 4 years ($2.5M more per year than Derozan) makes it clear it was a good idea to lock up Derozan when we did. Even if you don't think he's a good fit for the team (I'm not terribly attached to him), we can now use him as a valuable trade asset. After what we got for Bargs imagine what we could get for Derozan (could probably return a 2014 lotto pick + decent player). If we waited until someone like New Orleans offered him 4 years $48M, we'd either get stuck not matching and get nothing or have to take on a particularly onerous contract. The DD signing looks very reasonable in hindsight. Dare I say it, it looks good.

Something like this seems plausible to me:

To Cleveland:
    Derozan

To Toronto:
    Tristan Thompson
    Alonzo Gee
    Cavs Top 3 protected 2014 draft pick
    Last edited by Primer; Tue Jul 2nd, 2013 at 03:38 AM.

13. Like white men can't jump liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post

To Cleveland:
    Derozan

To Toronto:
    Tristan Thompson
    Alonzo Gee
    I agree with you for the most part but the Cavs wouldn't give that up for DeRozan. His deal does look a lot better in hindsight, but he's not as valuable as you're giving him credit for.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tyreke Evans is as comparable as it gets to Derozan. Same draft, same position, and same not quite living up to their potential. The fact that Evans got offered $12M per year over 4 years ($2.5M more per year than Derozan) makes it clear it was a good idea to lock up Derozan when we did. Even if you don't think he's a good fit for the team (I'm not terribly attached to him), we can now use him as a valuable trade asset. After what we got for Bargs imagine what we could get for Derozan (could probably return a 2014 lotto pick + decent player). If we waited until someone like New Orleans offered him 4 years $48M, we'd either get stuck not matching and get nothing or have to take on a particularly onerous contract. The DD signing looks very reasonable in hindsight. Dare I say it, it looks good.

To Cleveland:
    Derozan

To Toronto:
    Tristan Thompson
    Alonzo Gee
    I agree with everything you're saying.

But I doubt such a deal goes through. 2014 draft picks.....so hard to gauge their value. I have a hard time seeing Cleveland give one up.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are character concerns and injury concerns with Evans that do not make it a clear bla k and white situation. From a basketball perspective I take Evans 10 times out of 10.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    There are character concerns and injury concerns with Evans that do not make it a clear bla k and white situation. From a basketball perspective I take Evans 10 times out of 10.
    Should have added when playing with Rudy gay.

Post Thanks / Like

If he wasn't extended, there wouldn't have been a precedent for Evans. He might have gotten the same offer, or he might have not. Either way, the Raptors would have had options as to what to do with him. I'm thinking since Ujiri has put him on the block, he'd rather just have the cap space and make his own free-agent decisions than work via trade.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What I wouldn't give get an honest answer from Ujiri on whether he would have extended derozan with the same deal coangelo did. That's not going to happen, but it sure would be fun to know!
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it's arbitrary, but for me this season is Derozan's final season to show us who he is. By the time the season ends, I'll be talking about who he is as a player, and not talking about what kind of potential he has. At that point whether his contract is worth it should be relatively easy for me to determine. If I have to say right now whether he's on a value contract or not, I'm saying no. BUT he's only overpaid slightly.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

The LAC are essentially having an intriguing debate at the moment as to the relative value of 5 good young players: Bledsoe, DeRozan, Afflalo, Mayo and Reddick. Obviously fit with the Clip's lineup and salary comes heavily into play, but it's still interesting to read all the 'expert' insight and comparisons, as a way to guage media/league perception of each player in terms of skill, potential and fair market value.

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To Cleveland:
    Derozan

To Toronto:
    Tristan Thompson
    Alonzo Gee
    I also agree with you in that BC most likely made the right decision to lock up DD before he hit the market. I can't believe some posters on here are actually fine with letting a top 10 pick who we invested 3-4 years with WALK ....That blows my mind.

If we are comfortable with a salary figure and we assess his value to us......Why shouldn't we sign him if he also agrees to that figure???? Why let crappy teams like NO, SAC, CHA, etc. (who are well below the salary cap) throw money at our players we developed?? It makes no sense to me....yet posters keep throwing it around these forums like its the smart thing to do...lol

Demar Derozan has missed 5 games in his ENTIRE career. Isn't that worth something? He's an iron man for the Raptors. He's arguably the top 2 or 3 players on our team and he makes less than half of what Rudy Gay makes. He basically tied Rudy Gay for the team leader in points per game. He IS improving his passing, rebounding, and even his 3 point shot.

Bargnani, Rudy Gay, Landry Fields and Kleiza are all VASTLY OVERPAID compared to what they bring. It makes (made in the case of Bargnani) sense to get rid of their contracts before touching DD. I hope MU sees the common sense in this approach.

Personally i would deal Rudy to Cleveland for Verajao/Thompson/Gee and first rounder in 2014. DD is still very young (he's still 23) and can come into his prime when we're ready to compete for a championship.

It just makes sense.

Raptors Republic Starter Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Latest on Evans offer from the Pelicans is it can go as high as $50M over 4 years with incentives. Derozans deal is looking better by the day. There is a clearly a big demand for a young shooting guard in FA right now, and there is a very low supply. Derozan almost certainly would have gotten a bloated back loaded contract offer to make it difficult for us to match. BC messed up a lot of things but he really helped us dodge a bullet there. I'm sure he'll use it in his sales pitch for his next front office job.

Thread Information