Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Future of the franchise depends on what the Raptors do this offseason

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we can find a really good PF with our 2014 first round draft pick.
    Our biggest issue is locking down our PG position because Lowry only has one more year and we have to decide whether to extend the guy or look at other options.
    Other than the PG and PF positions, I think we are solid and should trot the same team out on the court
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'd be surprised if he's already done with roster moves, aside from filling in the holes. I think the whole league is waiting for Howard and the other big dominos to fall, then we'll see even more moves being made.
    I could see them making a few minor moves here and there but not anything significant which will dramatically improve the team. If MU does pull off something really big then he really does a good job of not showing his cards.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Nope.

Even Colangelo was in agreement Bargnani had to go. That was a given. The problem, of course, was Colangelo shared that with EVERYONE.

If the team was happy with the team and wanted to roll out the same squad from last season they certainly fooled me said the exact opposite during interview post-Leiweke and Ujiri hirings. They could have just kept BC on to finish out his contract in that case as well.
    To be fair they also said they would have no issue with tanking if once they evaluated the roster they deemed a fresh start was necessary.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    To be fair they also said they would have no issue with tanking if once they evaluated the roster they deemed a fresh start was necessary.
    I think you may have misinterpreted something, because I don't recall anything like that. When/where?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    Here's my reasons for giving him one more year to show what he can do:

- Demar shot 28.3 % from behind the 3 point line last year (keep in mind his carreer average was 20.6 before last season)
    - shot 83 percent from free throw line (career high, while getting there more than any previous year)
    - career high in rebounds to 3.9 (very slight increase - .1)
    - career high in assists (2.5) and increase by .5
    - career high in ppg (18.1 ppg) an increase of .9
    - less personal fouls per game than any year
    - Timofey Mozgov poster (2nd in Dunk of the year voting on NBA.com behind Deandre Jordan vs. Brandon Knight)
    - Game winning shot for the first time in his career vs Orlando
    - Rudy Gay said he's the best shooting PG he's ever played with
    I can't see how any of these are reasons to stick with a player for another full season.
    - 28% is still god-awful from behind the arc
    - his career highs in rebounds, assists and ppg coincided with a career high in minutes played
    - he's never been known as a foul-happy, aggressive defender, so less personal fouls is meaningless
    - a dunk highlight???
    - a flukey, once-in-a-lifetime heave over 2 defenders???
    - A blind man's opinion???

C'mon special....how 'bout some REAL reasons....
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

6. Like mcHAPPY, Axel, tucas liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What we need to do is make some cap space to sign John Wall next off season.
    Hopefully Rudy can, not exercise his player option & we can sign him to a cheaper contract.

Only problem is our shooting, & no above average PF .. But all our other positions should be above average, by then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    What we need to do is make some cap space to sign John Wall next off season.
    Hopefully Rudy can, not exercise his player option & we can sign him to a cheaper contract.

Only problem is our shooting, & no above average PF .. But all our other positions should be above average, by then.
    No chance Washington lets him walk, especially as a RFA. If they did, I doubt Toronto would be his first choice.

Plus, there's a rumor on CNNSI's Fan Nation site that alleges Wall's already working on an a MAX extension.

LINK: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...g-on-extension

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    No chance Washington lets him walk, especially as a RFA. If they did, I doubt Toronto would be his first choice.

There's a rumor on CNNSI's Fan Nation site, that Wall's already working on an extension.

LINK: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...g-on-extension
    Damnnnn. That would've been real nice.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    I think we can find a really good PF with our 2014 first round draft pick.
    Our biggest issue is locking down our PG position because Lowry only has one more year and we have to decide whether to extend the guy or look at other options.
    Other than the PG and PF positions, I think we are solid and should trot the same team out on the court
    How about Horford? If Atlanta goes into tank mode next season (and all signs point to yes), then Horford for DeMar, Kleiza and the 2014 pick (top 5 protected)?

Kleiza thrown in as an expiring contract (and to further help the tank).

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    So, anyone else think that Masai is done with trades for the summer? I get the impression that he will address the back up PG situation and roll out essentially the same squad from last season, this season. Seems like his main goal is to get our cap situation in order.
    Hard to get a read but I don't think so. Mostly because he's still stuck in no man's land. This current team is not built for a long playoff run and not bad enough to be at the bottom. At best case scenario, DD improves but that still just makes him good. Vision aside, we see what we have with rudy gay. He'll likely be the same when we can see him in two years as a free agent. Lowry will either have a bad year (let him go) or a good year (will have to pay a premium to resign him)...either option isn't great. Amir has proven worth his contract. We need to see what Ross develops into and how JV grows.
    Either we say we are a piece away from being Indiana this/next year and there is chemical synergy from keeping this core together or we bottom out and save our promising pieces and picks. The latter is more likely than the former. A long winded way of saying...more moves to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    I think you may have misinterpreted something, because I don't recall anything like that. When/where?
    Can't say for sure but I got the same impression from watching Ujiri's initial press conference. Tanking was presented as as legitimate an option as the first two that he presented. Maybe it's on raptors.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    How about Horford? If Atlanta goes into tank mode next season (and all signs point to yes), then Horford for DeMar, Kleiza and the 2014 pick (top 5 protected)?

Not sure that Atlanta is in tank mode (signing Korver to a $24 mill contact). Unless they plan to flip him for picks. If we keep our current roster together, I see no reason why we're not a late lottery/early playoff team...not the pick that would likely land us a starting PF to complete the team. And, as many have said...even with protection, we should not be in the business yet of trading away 1st round picks (especially in 2014).

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post

Bryan? Bryan Colangelo, is that you?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Can't say for sure but I got the same impression from watching Ujiri's initial press conference. Tanking was presented as as legitimate an option as the first two that he presented. Maybe it's on raptors.com
    I don't think laughing at the suggestion was saying it was "legitimate".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Bryan? Bryan Colangelo, is that you?
    I see you are in favour of tanking.. I'm not. I think the team is far from a single piece away like TL/MU stated, but I also think they should build towards a goal of contending.

Horford is an all-star caliber PF that is only 27 years old and on a long term contract at a reasonable rate (4 years x $12M).

Horford to Toronto could be like Indiana bringing in David West two years ago.

As for the pick, I see the 2014 pick as gold in that it can theoretically bring in an all-star caliber player like a Rondo, Horford, or like NO got with Holiday. I have more faith in a guy like Horford who's proven in the league over a #6+ pick in even a loaded draft next year.

Of course if we were tanking it would be a horrible trade, but I'm not a proponent of tanking.

And if it backfires, well they still have a top 5 pick so they could still get Wiggins, Parker or Randle and the only asset they lose is DeRozan.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure that Atlanta is in tank mode (signing Korver to a $24 mill contact). Unless they plan to flip him for picks. If we keep our current roster together, I see no reason why we're not a late lottery/early playoff team...not the pick that would likely land us a starting PF to complete the team. And, as many have said...even with protection, we should not be in the business yet of trading away 1st round picks (especially in 2014).
    I understand the reason why we should keep the pick.. it definitely makes the draft so much more interesting especially in a loaded draft. But if the player you are getting for the pick is a good solid talent then I would do it.

In my opinion Horford is an all-star caliber player (especially in the East). He can play both PF and C, and makes a decent salary for his position and what he brings to the table. I can see why NO gave up a potential pick for Holiday and that same thinking is why I would give up the pick for Horford. Adding the same type of protection NO got on that pick with the Phillly trade is what I would do with Horford too (assuming he was available).

If we weren't tanking then this is something that I would look at, that's all I'm saying. My gut says Ujiri is re-tooling like he did in Denver. If he can get picks along the way he will but if there is a talent to be had he will go after it.

As for Korver you are right.. no idea on why they would do that.. unless they really like Korver as an asset like you suggested already.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know...does anyone think giving Korver that kind of deal is a bit absurd? He can't do anything well other than shoot. He does that very well, but still, he's not someone that should be more than 7th or 8th in a rotation at best. Doesn't feel like the kind of deal a smart team trying to win would make.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I don't know...does anyone think giving Korver that kind of deal is a bit absurd? He can't do anything well other than shoot. He does that very well, but still, he's not someone that should be more than 7th or 8th in a rotation at best. Doesn't feel like the kind of deal a smart team trying to win would make.
    That's what i was thinking. When i first read that signing i went "Wtf is Atlanta trying to do build around Korver". J Smoove is gone, Horford is like 27 and has reached his peak. Unless they think Jeff Teague can carry them, i have no idea why they'd sign Korver long term. Maybe a potential trade

Post Thanks / Like

Atlanta is never trying to win...I don't really understand it. In like all sports. Thrashers,Falcons,Hawks..They have incredible regular seasona and then kerplunk! in the post-season
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Atlanta is never trying to win...I don't really understand it. In like all sports. Thrashers,Falcons,Hawks..They have incredible regular seasona and then kerplunk! in the post-season
    I don't know about the other Atlanta teams. But the hawks have a mediocre season and then get ass kicked out of the first round. If they're lucky they'll make it to the second and then proceed to get swept

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information