Future of the franchise depends on what the Raptors do this offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    All I did was click your name and click forum posts. Those posts were 6 of your last 10 or so. I stand by my comments that you are being petty and immature based on a difference of opinion on DD's value as a player.

I do accept your apology and I apologize for my comment regarding your handle from a couple weeks back.

All your post is a rehash of previous comments. In reading it I don't think you understand or acknowledge the underlying premise of my argument, that is, DD has been a first or second option for 3 years and is a known product. During those three years he has shown no statistical improvement (little increase in some areas, little decrease in others = no increase overall). In pointing to Danny Green or Chauncey Billups I think you illustrate you are not getting my rationale. Those guys made break outs after changing teams and never having an opportunity to be the 1st or 2nd option on an NBA team nor did they play over 9700 NBA minutes.

DD may be chronologically young but as for NBA experience he has already surpassed that of the average NBA career in years and I would venture to guess far exceeded it in terms of minutes.
    No worries. I realize we have a difference of opinion when it comes to Demar.

You are right that he was forced to be a 1st or 2nd option for this team..... I think this is where many posters unfairly treat Demar and even Andrea. These guys are not 1st options and may be 2nd options at best. Neither are/were paid as 1st options. We basically set them up to fail.

He put up really good numbers (minus 3 point shooting) in his 2nd year. It's a lot harder being the 1st option and may explain why his numbers regressed in his 3rd year (I believe Bargs was hurt a lot that year).

I would argue Demar could grow into being a VERY good 3rd or maybe even a good 2nd option. Obviously, we'll see if he continues to get better. I'm optimistic about this year coming up because we'll get a very good idea of what he can be this year.

Here's my reasons for giving him one more year to show what he can do:

- Demar shot 28.3 % from behind the 3 point line last year (keep in mind his carreer average was 20.6 before last season)
    - shot 83 percent from free throw line (career high, while getting there more than any previous year)
    - career high in rebounds to 3.9 (very slight increase - .1)
    - career high in assists (2.5) and increase by .5
    - career high in ppg (18.1 ppg) an increase of .9
    - less personal fouls per game than any year
    - Timofey Mozgov poster (2nd in Dunk of the year voting on NBA.com behind Deandre Jordan vs. Brandon Knight)
    - Game winning shot for the first time in his career vs Orlando
    - Rudy Gay said he's the best shooting PG he's ever played with

Comment

So, anyone else think that Masai is done with trades for the summer? I get the impression that he will address the back up PG situation and roll out essentially the same squad from last season, this season. Seems like his main goal is to get our cap situation in order.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        So, anyone else think that Masai is done with trades for the summer? I get the impression that he will address the back up PG situation and roll out essentially the same squad from last season, this season. Seems like his main goal is to get our cap situation in order.
        I'd be surprised if he's already done with roster moves, aside from filling in the holes. I think the whole league is waiting for Howard and the other big dominos to fall, then we'll see even more moves being made.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
          Earl Clark is a free agent....I think he would fit this team as a stretch 4 who can rebound. I watched a lot of LA Lakers games this past year and he showed that he can play. He took over 100 3's last year and hit almost 34 percent of them. He averaged 5.5 rebounds in 23 mins. Isn't he someone we should be looking at to replace what Bargnani brought (but better rebounding)?

What do you guys think about Earl Clark?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/earl_clark/index.html
          Earl Clark to Cavs....RT from MStein (can't get twitter here). I read somewhere that JSmith is going to take til after the holiday weekend to decide so things should pick up from there. Unless all hell breaks loose once D12 (where the D stands for Domino) decides

Comment

Nope.

Even Colangelo was in agreement Bargnani had to go. That was a given. The problem, of course, was Colangelo shared that with EVERYONE.

If the team was happy with the team and wanted to roll out the same squad from last season they certainly fooled me said the exact opposite during interview post-Leiweke and Ujiri hirings. They could have just kept BC on to finish out his contract in that case as well.

Comment

I think we can find a really good PF with our 2014 first round draft pick.
              Our biggest issue is locking down our PG position because Lowry only has one more year and we have to decide whether to extend the guy or look at other options.
              Other than the PG and PF positions, I think we are solid and should trot the same team out on the court
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I'd be surprised if he's already done with roster moves, aside from filling in the holes. I think the whole league is waiting for Howard and the other big dominos to fall, then we'll see even more moves being made.
                I could see them making a few minor moves here and there but not anything significant which will dramatically improve the team. If MU does pull off something really big then he really does a good job of not showing his cards.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Nope.

Even Colangelo was in agreement Bargnani had to go. That was a given. The problem, of course, was Colangelo shared that with EVERYONE.

If the team was happy with the team and wanted to roll out the same squad from last season they certainly fooled me said the exact opposite during interview post-Leiweke and Ujiri hirings. They could have just kept BC on to finish out his contract in that case as well.
                  To be fair they also said they would have no issue with tanking if once they evaluated the roster they deemed a fresh start was necessary.

Comment

To be fair they also said they would have no issue with tanking if once they evaluated the roster they deemed a fresh start was necessary.
                    I think you may have misinterpreted something, because I don't recall anything like that. When/where?

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                      Here's my reasons for giving him one more year to show what he can do:

- Demar shot 28.3 % from behind the 3 point line last year (keep in mind his carreer average was 20.6 before last season)
                      - shot 83 percent from free throw line (career high, while getting there more than any previous year)
                      - career high in rebounds to 3.9 (very slight increase - .1)
                      - career high in assists (2.5) and increase by .5
                      - career high in ppg (18.1 ppg) an increase of .9
                      - less personal fouls per game than any year
                      - Timofey Mozgov poster (2nd in Dunk of the year voting on NBA.com behind Deandre Jordan vs. Brandon Knight)
                      - Game winning shot for the first time in his career vs Orlando
                      - Rudy Gay said he's the best shooting PG he's ever played with
                      I can't see how any of these are reasons to stick with a player for another full season.
                      - 28% is still god-awful from behind the arc
                      - his career highs in rebounds, assists and ppg coincided with a career high in minutes played
                      - he's never been known as a foul-happy, aggressive defender, so less personal fouls is meaningless
                      - a dunk highlight???
                      - a flukey, once-in-a-lifetime heave over 2 defenders???
                      - A blind man's opinion???

C'mon special....how 'bout some REAL reasons....

Comment

What we need to do is make some cap space to sign John Wall next off season.
                        Hopefully Rudy can, not exercise his player option & we can sign him to a cheaper contract.

Only problem is our shooting, & no above average PF .. But all our other positions should be above average, by then.

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                          What we need to do is make some cap space to sign John Wall next off season.
                          Hopefully Rudy can, not exercise his player option & we can sign him to a cheaper contract.

Only problem is our shooting, & no above average PF .. But all our other positions should be above average, by then.
                          No chance Washington lets him walk, especially as a RFA. If they did, I doubt Toronto would be his first choice.

Plus, there's a rumor on CNNSI's Fan Nation site that alleges Wall's already working on an a MAX extension.

LINK: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...g-on-extension

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            No chance Washington lets him walk, especially as a RFA. If they did, I doubt Toronto would be his first choice.

There's a rumor on CNNSI's Fan Nation site, that Wall's already working on an extension.

LINK: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...g-on-extension
                            Damnnnn. That would've been real nice.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              I think we can find a really good PF with our 2014 first round draft pick.
                              Our biggest issue is locking down our PG position because Lowry only has one more year and we have to decide whether to extend the guy or look at other options.
                              Other than the PG and PF positions, I think we are solid and should trot the same team out on the court
                              How about Horford? If Atlanta goes into tank mode next season (and all signs point to yes), then Horford for DeMar, Kleiza and the 2014 pick (top 5 protected)?

Kleiza thrown in as an expiring contract (and to further help the tank).

Comment

Hard to get a read but I don't think so. Mostly because he's still stuck in no man's land. This current team is not built for a long playoff run and not bad enough to be at the bottom. At best case scenario, DD improves but that still just makes him good. Vision aside, we see what we have with rudy gay. He'll likely be the same when we can see him in two years as a free agent. Lowry will either have a bad year (let him go) or a good year (will have to pay a premium to resign him)...either option isn't great. Amir has proven worth his contract. We need to see what Ross develops into and how JV grows.
                                Either we say we are a piece away from being Indiana this/next year and there is chemical synergy from keeping this core together or we bottom out and save our promising pieces and picks. The latter is more likely than the former. A long winded way of saying...more moves to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X