Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How long have you been a Raptors fan?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long have you been a Raptors fan?

And what is your first memory of them?

Unlike a lot of you, I wasn't a basketball fan during the Vince Carter days and only started paying attention to them during their 2007 first round match up during the NJ Nets. I only watched game 6 of that series though cause a friend told me to. (I still remember Richard Jefferson's late game steal )But ever since then, I've been a huge fan. The first Raptors game I attended came the very next year during the play-offs. Game 3 vs the Orlando Magic (Only game the Raptors won in that series I believe).

I know a lot of you are older than me, so I'd be interested in knowing.

EDIT: It'd be nice if you could add your favourite Raptors memory too.

The Raptors huge win over Indiana last season is one that comes to mind since I was definitely ready to turn off the tv before Rudy and amir saved the day. Jose's and1 to seal the game against the Celtics during the 2007-08 season is something I remember getting extremely hyped over too.
    Last edited by Sam17; Thu Jul 4th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sam17 wrote: View Post

Unlike a lot of you, I wasn't a basketball fan during the Vince Carter days and only started paying attention to them during their 2007 first round match up during the NJ Nets. (I only watched game 6 of that series cause a friend told me to). Ever since then, I've been a huge fan. The first Raptors game I attended came the very next year during the play-offs. Game 3 vs the Orlando Magic (Only game the Raptors won in that series I believe).

My first memory is when they introduced Isiah Thomas as GM, then drafted undersized (and undervalued at the time) PG Damon Stoudamire. That officially makes me old I know.

In the pre-Vince days we were comical at times (Oliver Miller and Zan Tabak for the win!) but we had some good role players (Walt the Wizard Williams!). Everything changed with Vince though.

My two fav memories of this team are both Mo Pete plays (hence the avatar). The Blindfolded lay-up was awesome. A one of a kind play that I haven't seen before or since then (quick summary - drives the lane, gets fouled and in the process his headband slips over his eyes, still manages to lay the ball off the glass and in). The other play is when Mo Pete was in his dog days as a Raptor and was buried on the bench. He didn't play a single second of the game until he entered with seconds left and the team down 3. The Wizards grabbed the miss and a Wiz threw the ball in the air to celebrate, Mo Pete grabbed the ball and hoisted a prayer that was answered for the tie and OT.

Since I don't live in Tor I don't make to many games, but I was there when Bosh got stuffed my Joakim Noah on a game winner against the Bulls. I also remember a thunderous alley-oop throw down by Walter Hermann (shocking I know) when he was with the Pistons.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

since they announced we were getting a team.

i remember being extremely upset that we drafted Mighty Mouse instead of Ed O'Bannon.... wow was i ever wrong on that one

4. Like JStockton, mcHAPPY, Nilanka, Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First memory I have of the team is from Like Mike lol The next year I attended my first game which was against the Orlando Magic. I was about 8 or 9 years old. Originally, as a child I was an Allen Iverson fan. I even went to a game in Philly back in 2005 against Toronto (it was their first meeting since Donyell Marshall dropped 12 3's on the Sixers). Iverson won the game with a pull up jumper with 2 seconds left. Was the best game I ever went to see.

So originally my first favourite team was Philly because of Iverson. But I slowly became a Raptors fan because all of their games were broadcasted on my television.

Sunday afternoon games when I was a kid were the fucking best. Even though the Raptors often lost in close battles. They were always a fun team to cheer for.

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

started watching them in the VC/T MAC area. stopped for a long time when T MAC left. never watched the supposed bosh/bargs era.

started randomly paying attention again last season when they got over that 4-19 hump.

so yah, it took a decade for me to care about the raptors again. too bad its NOWHERE close to how exciting the VC days were

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Heinz on this one; I've been here since Day 0.
    I remember sitting in class when they were doing the contest for the Team Name.

Went to a couple games that first season as well.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    never watched the supposed bosh/bargs era.
    Ugh, I guess we do have to call that an "Era", huh? ... anyone who did watch during this 'era' will be happy to forget.
    In Masai we Trust.

9. Like KazanTheMan liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember that time we drafted BJ Armstrong in the expansion draft and he said he wouldn't play in Canada....that was the first of the many times I got metaphorically punched in the gut being a Raptors fan.

so.....1995?

11. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

isiah jumping through the logo, lol
    and stoudamire tearing shit up
    when the nba was good, even if the raptors were shit

13. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Been a fan since "day 0" myself.

In terms of tickets, I never made it to any games during the SkyDome period, but I was there for the very first Raptors game at the ACC in 1999 (vs. Vancouver).

My favourite moment has to be from the 2000-01 playoffs with Alvin Williams hitting a clutch jumper at Madison Square Garden, late in the 4th quarter, sealing the series victory in favour of the Raptors. At that moment, the team had FINALLY shaken the "expansion" label and established themselves as a legit up-and-coming threat in the Eastern Conference by taking down the veteran Knicks team (who had owned us the year before).

Little did we know that was the peak of this franchise....
    Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Jul 4th, 2013 at 01:53 PM.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

15. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Ugh, I guess we do have to call that an "Era", huh? ... anyone who did watch during this 'era' will be happy to forget.
    I prefer to call it the Fred Jones/Luke Jackson era

in a weird way, it makes me feel better

17. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Remember that time we drafted BJ Armstrong in the expansion draft and he said he wouldn't play in Canada....that was the first of the many times I got metaphorically punched in the gut being a Raptors fan.

so.....1995?
    Who knew that BJ Armstrong was a prophet?

Post Thanks / Like

This is the Philly game I attended as a kid. Now-a-days I'd be royally upset after watching AI drain a game winner on the Raps, but back then I was a big AI fan and this was so sweet. Me and my old man drove 10 hours to attend this game and fuck was it worth it.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Since they day I couldn't believe they chose the name "raptors". It's gotten better since then

Post Thanks / Like

since 1999 when i moved out here from ottawa. was a casual fan ("vince is super!") for a while and then around the time vince left was when i started getting more interested and knowing the ins and outs of it all.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Found an old link on CBC (the video wouldn't load) and a funny line in the caption stuck out.

"We're going to make the NBA proud. We respect the trust that they've charged us with," says John Bitove, Jr., president of the yet-to-be-named professional basketball franchise in Toronto. NBA commissioner David Stern is on hand to announce the granting of the franchise, as is Jerry Colangelo from the NBA expansion committee. Former premier of Ontario David Peterson is along as well. The price tag for the team is a hefty $125 million US, but Stern notes that in exchange fans will get to see something special. "What we represent is a very high level of family entertainment," he says in this 1993 TV clip from CBC at Six.

What kind of special did Stern mean? Maybe the fix has been in since '93!

23. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been a Raptors fan since I first heard Toronto was in the running for an expansion franchise.

I was one of the few people who liked the Stoudamire draft pick, believing O'Bannon was overhyped during the NCAA tourney and that a new franchise should build around a floor-general PG (especially with a HOF PG as the team's GM).

My top memories, in chronological order (I think):

- laughing, in an embarassed and disbeliving way, when "Raptors" was announced as the winning nickname for Toronto's NBA franchise

- drafting Mighty Mouse and watching him lead a horrendous team to a win over my beloved Bulls at the Skydome, on his way to a rookie-of-the-year award

- Vinsanity winning the 2000 dunk contest, still arguably the greatest display of dunking in the history of the dunk contest

- sitting a couple rows behind Wayne Gretzky, Spike Lee and Michael Rappaport, during Toronto's game #4 home win against the Knicks to knot their 2000-2001 1st round playoff series at 2-2, then watching the Raps win their first ever playoff series

- being pissed off at VC for attending his university graduation ceremony (even before the game) the morning of game #7 against Philly, during their 2000-2001 2nd round playoff series, then watching his game winning shot rim out... that day was the beginning of the end for Vinsanity

- my disgust at the VC trade... truly the start of the Raptors' dark ages

- heartbreak watching Calderon's entry pass to Bosh get intercepted, sealing the fate of the favored Raptors in their 2006-2007 1st round playoff series against the Nets, who were lead by Raptors' nemesis Carter... that year had been the rebirth of the Raptors, only to end on such a sour note

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Was pretty young when the team was announced but was already into basketball so watched games when possible. Didn't get into the raps very seriously until the Carter era.

This play is one of the most memorable for me, I watched the game and it was such "holy s^!t I can't believe that just happened!!!!" (in a good way) moment that I re-watched it during communications class the next day, and proclaimed Carter as the MVP of the league during lunch.

The vid is pretty grainy, but essentially here's what happened.

The game is tied with less than 10 seconds to go.

Carter has the ball on the left wing.

He explodes down the left baseline.

Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon Rotates over to contest the drive...

And then smartly gets out of the way as Carter flies past him to dunk the ball with 1.8 seconds left to seal the victory.

To me that epitomizes Carter at his best. An elite athlete that couldn't be stopped on offense, because he could just DUNK OVER/AROUND YOU.

After the raps lost to the 76ers, I took a hiatus from raps until Vince got traded.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    - heartbreak watching Calderon's entry pass to Bosh get intercepted, sealing the fate of the favored Raptors in their 2006-2007 1st round playoff series against the Nets, who were lead by Raptors' nemesis Carter... that year had been the rebirth of the Raptors, only to end on such a sour note
    I blame that whole "Sea of Red" Bull crap Promotion.

Nets walked in with their Red Jerseys and laughed at us.
    In Masai we Trust.

27. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sam17 wrote: View Post

Unlike a lot of you, I wasn't a basketball fan during the Vince Carter days and only started paying attention to them during their 2007 first round match up during the NJ Nets. I only watched game 6 of that series though cause a friend told me to. (I still remember Richard Jefferson's late game steal )But ever since then, I've been a huge fan. The first Raptors game I attended came the very next year during the play-offs. Game 3 vs the Orlando Magic (Only game the Raptors won in that series I believe).

EDIT: It'd be nice if you could add your favourite Raptors memory too.

The Raptors huge win over Indiana last season is one that comes to mind since I was definitely ready to turn off the tv before Rudy and amir saved the day. Jose's and1 to seal the game against the Celtics during the 2007-08 season is something I remember getting extremely hyped over too.
    1) mine too that indiana game was special

2) another favourite memory of mine was the demar derozan buzzer beater, i think the last three games we lost in OT by one or two points and i was preparing my self for another OT loss, but when demar put up the shot with two defenders on him i yelled soo damn loud.

3) home game vs la clipperes- rudy gay debut. i still watch the highlight to this day. no one expected him to play that day but he showed up and man what a game it was. his first point was a free throw but the half court alley from demar, and the three point buzzer right before half time. and mat devlin and jack armstrong were going crazy with the 'rudy gay era'

4)home game vs portland- terrence ross (alot of points cant remember how many) ross really did nothing up until that game he was quite and wasn't getting his shots to fall. ive been a terrence ross fan since forever and everyone in my schools a damian lillard fan, so i knew terrence had to put up a show or i wasnt going to go to school the next day. his buzzer beater and i think it was 6 threes and omaagod what a game

yea ive been a fan since pretty much the day i was born, no bandwagoner things ... forever t dot
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information