How long have you been a Raptors fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heinz57 wrote: View Post
    since they announced we were getting a team.

i remember being extremely upset that we drafted Mighty Mouse instead of Ed O'Bannon.... wow was i ever wrong on that one
    He is potentially doing great things for college players however (if I picked up the news on that correctly).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I've been a Raptors fan since I first heard Toronto was in the running for an expansion franchise.

I was one of the few people who liked the Stoudamire draft pick, believing O'Bannon was overhyped during the NCAA tourney and that a new franchise should build around a floor-general PG (especially with a HOF PG as the team's GM).

My top memories, in chronological order (I think):

- laughing, in an embarassed and disbeliving way, when "Raptors" was announced as the winning nickname for Toronto's NBA franchise

- drafting Mighty Mouse and watching him lead a horrendous team to a win over my beloved Bulls at the Skydome, on his way to a rookie-of-the-year award

- Vinsanity winning the 2000 dunk contest, still arguably the greatest display of dunking in the history of the dunk contest

- sitting a couple rows behind Wayne Gretzky, Spike Lee and Michael Rappaport, during Toronto's game #4 home win against the Knicks to knot their 2000-2001 1st round playoff series at 2-2, then watching the Raps win their first ever playoff series

- being pissed off at VC for attending his university graduation ceremony (even before the game) the morning of game #7 against Philly, during their 2000-2001 2nd round playoff series, then watching his game winning shot rim out... that day was the beginning of the end for Vinsanity

- my disgust at the VC trade... truly the start of the Raptors' dark ages

- heartbreak watching Calderon's entry pass to Bosh get intercepted, sealing the fate of the favored Raptors in their 2006-2007 1st round playoff series against the Nets, who were lead by Raptors' nemesis Carter... that year had been the rebirth of the Raptors, only to end on such a sour note
      Baha. Michael mother fucking Rapaport! He was in everything in the mid 90's..
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

i have been following since they announced that Toronto woud be getting the team i still remember how few people even noticed and/or cared

was already said but i remember isaiah coming thru the paper logo and realizing that the silly red dinosaur thing was going to be our logo and that raptors was going to be the name, that is my worst memory in sports period (hope that gets cleared up soon, go huskies or whatever they choose because it cant possibly be worse than raptors, the worst name in pro sports...)

all the playoff games and beating the bulls in the skydome would be my favs, as well as vince at the dunk competition just because of context and profile and everybody knowng that we were not to be f*cked with anymore
        Change the name...Give this city and this country something we can be PROUD of... something we can EMBRACE... something that REPRESENTS us... Please MLSE any name except Raptors...anything, please?

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
          I was a big Toronto Huskies fan back in the day but I had to wait 40 years for the NBA to come back to Toronto. The wait may be well worth it, someday.....
          Since the Huskies??? How old are you bro? Not to be a dick, just saying, that was almost 70 years ago lol
          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
            Since the Huskies??? How old are you bro? Not to be a dick, just saying, that was almost 70 years ago lol
            That's older than both my Grandfathers O_O

Comment

The first time I first started following the raps was when they traded jermaine o'neal to the heat for Marion I was a huge heat fan since 03 ever since wade got drafted but then we traded marion to toronto and so I started following them and I was hooked and started to lose interest in the heat after lebron came over and really started getting invested with them and I've only been to a couple of games including ben uzoh's triple double game and rudy's debut game and my fav rap moment i've witnessed so far was our win against Utah in double ot last season where Linas and Bayless went off idk but I just really enjoyed that game PS. I own both a Shawn marion heat and raps jersey
              #BringBackUzoh

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                Fuck, my nana was 77 and was more computer-saavy than half my family. So, it's not unreasonable to think he could be telling the truth.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Day one.

Comment

Started following the Raptors at some point in their 1st season. I didn't follow the NBA, I just watched Raptor games cause they were on TV and I loved basketball. I was only about 9yrs old then so my memories of watching the Raps then are spotty at best.

I was always one of the short guys in school so Mighty Mouse caught my attention. I couldn't believe that a guy his size was playing with the big boys, and doing what he was doing. What I remember from the first couple seasons was watching Stoudamire just break guys down with the dribble either blowing by them or performing his classic between the leg dribble to stepback 3. Walt "The Wizard" Williams was also a personal fav with his elbow 3s and high socks. To show you how spotty my memory is, I don't remember watching Camby in Raptors uniform but I remember them getting Charles Oakley lol.

The year Vince got drafted is my favorite memory lol almost every fastbreak was on the highlight reel, the guy was just a dunking machine. But as for favorite single memory, it would have to be VC in the dunk contest. All Star Weekends were everything as a kid, so to have your fav player win the dunkoff, and in the fashion he did was just bananas. In game moment would have to be the dunk on Dikembe. Man the VC times... those were the days.

As for the live experience, I only went to 2 games (vs Mavs some years back, they still had Finley & Howard n vs Lakers in 2009) prior to this past season, where I went to 17. Rudy's first game was by far the best experience, as like someone mentioned nobody expected him to play so everyone was tripping over themselves in joy that we were gonna witness his 1st game live. He definitely didn't disappoint. Unfortunately Kyrie Irvings 3PT to win the game is also up there lol. I was at the Nuggets game too where Mozgov got Mozgoved, but my dumbass had my head buried in my camera deleting pics when I missed the best one of the night. what a dumbass

All in all, lots of ups and downs but hopefully this season will start the upswing we need. Ive learned a lot through the years, and have never been more sure of a GM than Masai, but at the same time ive never been more sceptical either
                    Last edited by Liberal; Fri Jul 5, 2013, 12:38 AM.

Comment

once bosh left lol

Comment

d749 wrote: View Post
                        once bosh left lol
                        That's the worst time! How can you become a fan of a team like that?

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                          Fuck, my nana was 77 and was more computer-saavy than half my family. So, it's not unreasonable to think he could be telling the truth.
                          I was not. I'm old but not THAT old.

Comment

how long have I been a fan? SINCE I WAS IN DA FUCKING WOMB! SINCE DA KID WAS A FUCKING SPERM IN My POPPAs balls son GET ON MY LEVEL RAPS BEFORE LIFE BITCH! When the Doctor cut my cord he had to take off my JERSEY FIRST DIE HARD My first words were Raptors.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                              I was not. I'm old but not THAT old.
                              Ya, was pretty sure you were just messin with us.

Comment

rapstor4life wrote: View Post
                                how long have i been a fan? Since i was in da fucking womb! Since da kid was a fucking sperm in my poppas balls son get on my level raps before life bitch! When the doctor cut my cord he had to take off my jersey first die hard my first words were raptors.
                                bully!

Comment

Working...
                                X