Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Julyan Stone reaches 2 year deal with Toronto.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The next Gary Forbes had a TS% of 93.1% last year! Holy moly!
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote aaron.in.toronto wrote: View Post
    my bad eric koreen is saying that raps see stone as the primary back-up, i will read whats out there first next time im going to post

if he is the back-up and we get a player worse than him as the third stringer, what does that say about the quality of our squad next year?
    I see it more as he will grow into the primary backup. I don't think he plays that role this season, atleast to start out

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this signing a lot. Stone already has the most important parts of a high-quality PG's arsenal down pat: he's athletic, he has good basketball IQ and can read the floor, and he can play defense. So he can't shoot yet, so what? Jose couldn't either at first (and never learned to defend) and he became a fine point guard. It's easier to learn to shoot than it is to read the floor or play D; the latter two are about intangibles and the first is about spending time in the gym shooting the ball over and over and over again.

And yeah, the fact that he's a project appeals to me because I am firmly pro-tank this year, especially as bad team after bad team overspends in order to try and become competitive, which they will not be. Only Boston and Philly really seem to get it so far: this is a year that will reward being a bad team, so use that year to give a new head coach experience (Boston) or give young, raw players plenty of burn (Philly) and then you GET REWARDED FOR IT. Next year, tanking makes a lot less sense, but this year? Come on!

4. Like Puffer, ceez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this signing a lot too. Can't really add that much to what magoon said. I remember when he went undrafted it shocked a lot of people and he was considered one of the top undrafted free agents, it was a coup for Denver to get him considering they were already set at starter and backup.

It's good to have a legitimate backup for Lowry, where he won't feel threatened and pout again when he doesn't get his playing time and whatnot.

Basically any time you can sign a guy who can guard 3 positions for cheap you've done pretty well.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The next Jamario Moon!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    The next Jamario Moon!
    Or the next Gary Forbes, but I don't want ceez hurting me for taking GF's name in vain...

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    he is a lock down defender and gifted passer that according to everything I have read, can't shoot for shit.
    Much like -

Lets go!!

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Scouting report
    + Long-armed wing with point guard's ball skills. Can handle and pass.
    + Lousy outside shooter and just an average athlete. Good rebounder.
    + Pretty good on ball defender.

Analysis
    An undrafted rookie, Stone didn't get much run at the end of Denver's bench but showed some signs in his limited action. In particular, his 8.3 assists per 40 minutes stand out, as does his phenomenal 44.1 assist ratio. The downside is that Stone can neither shoot nor score; he averaged just 8.0 points per 40 minutes and didn't fare much better in three D-League games with Idaho.

Stone is already 23, and while he has some tools, his inability to score is what torpedoed his draft stock. He's pretty good for an undrafted end-of-the-bench guy, but it's still not clear whether his pros and cons add up to a rotation player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Much like -

Lets go!!
    ...is that ... Hassan Adams?! ... Weird.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    The next Gary Forbes had a TS% of 93.1% last year! Holy moly!
    That's because he took two whole field goal attempts all year lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    lol and 4 free throw, making 3 of them

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I always liked tall point guards. As long as he can run the offense effectively, his long arms on defense will only be a plus

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this. I've noticed that over the years there seems to be quite a few bigger PG's coming into the league. Tyreke, Holiday, Vasquez (two of whom just got traded). Shooting isn't a problem seeing as Jose went from a crappy shooter to a knock down shooter coming off of picks and 3pt range.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude has big hands

16. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Shhh...
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

With the Nuggets we must remember his coach was George Karl whose reason for coaching (& living) is to shoot the ball well. So he didnt meet Karl's standards and might have been discouraged from doing so. His choice then and now might be a result of Masai's brand of analytics....lets see.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

George Karl has a very specific way of coaching and playing.

Pretty sure MJ and DC had talks about who to pick up, what the team needed etc in order to make the choices that have been made.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Having a GM go to a new team and immediately sign an obscure young player from his old team that only sat on the bench is always a good sign. Kind of feels like Ujiri has some inside info on him. If this kid can play good defense against opposing back up PG's while getting a few assists, this is a great pick up. plus he is big enough to play some minutes at the two. I have a feeling Ujiri is going to try to make us a defensive team and guys like this are perfect fits for that plan.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Having a GM go to a new team and immediately sign an obscure young player from his old team that only sat on the bench is always a good sign. Kind of feels like Ujiri has some inside info on him. If this kid can play good defense against opposing back up PG's while getting a few assists, this is a great pick up. plus he is big enough to play some minutes at the two. I have a feeling Ujiri is going to try to make us a defensive team and guys like this are perfect fits for that plan.
    Yeah, this would be huge. Shutting down the other team's rhythm every time the 2nd unit is on is a pretty big asset to have. There's also the bonus that he has SG size. So if the other team's 6th man is, say, JR Smith, you can put him on that guy, and use your regular SG to shadow the PG, likely the slow Prigioni in this situation.

I'll be rooting for this kid.

Raptors Republic All-Star lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    Pretty meh signing. Won't make a big impact.
    but hes a sweetie tho <3
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Thread Information