View Poll Results: What should the Raptors do with Camby?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy him out right away because we don't want any trouble

1 3.57%
  • Trade him immediately because we don't want any trouble

6 21.43%
  • Wait for the best offer to come along and tell him to shut it

16 57.14%
  • Tell him no, we're not trading you or buying you out, so retire and report

5 17.86%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Camby saga - buyout details in post #100

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

So basically, we traded Bargnani and $3.4M for Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson, one. first round pick, and two second round picks.

Post Thanks / Like

has ujiri ever said why we offered buyout instead using him in a trade?

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    has ujiri ever said why we offered buyout instead using him in a trade?
    I assume because the teams who would like to have him either dont have the money in their own cap situation to absorb him or had nothing of value coming back. They also know TO is in a bit of a bind having to get rid of him so they just sit for the current situation and get him for the vet min. Its between the Bulls, Rockets & Miami he shall choose from. I am still pissed that they do this. I am sure if we had more room in our own cap status MU would have played hardball.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It probably also didn't help when Camby whined like a little bitch and basically made it clear he would force a trade.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't think the buyout was a bad deal. i do hate how it can happen though. the cake and eat it too thing bothers me. i have to sacrifice in almost everything i do when i choose something else.

me: wife i'm going drinking tonight.
    wife: go out and no blow job
    me: bitch, those are the best ones
    For The Win

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

For some, much ado about nothing. MU knew exactly how this was going to play out before he made the deal, and accepted the cost. Get over it.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like this buy-out business. If a player isn't going to play for a team he is traded to, then his contract should be forfeit. He can then play for whoever wants him, and there should be no cap implications for the original team...obviously, as the contract would have been voided.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I don't like this buy-out business. If a player isn't going to play for a team he is traded to, then his contract should be forfeit. He can then play for whoever wants him, and there should be no cap implications for the original team...obviously, as the contract would have been voided.
    The problem with that is its implications. If a player has a break-out season on a mid-level exception like contract, he can just decide to void his contract and enter free agency? Teams would get even more screwed than they are now.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    The problem with that is its implications. If a player has a break-out season on a mid-level exception like contract, he can just decide to void his contract and enter free agency? Teams would get even more screwed than they are now.
    Good point. Has to be some way around it though...paying people to just walk away and play elsewhere is awful.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends if MU knew that Camby would want a trade before hand. I think the raptors could use a back up C but Camby can't be relied on for big minutes. A buy out is probably the best case here as the Knicks wanted out of his contract and MU had to take another expensive contract. The buy out is more a win win in that the team gets some cap space. And Camby can finish his career trying to win another title

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I see it as a penalty as well for the teams that acquire them from a "business" standpoint rather than a basketball view. Clearly, MU did not acquire Camby as a rotation player who he can use on the court but rather to make the numbers work to get rid of Bargnani.

Its also protection for the players so they dont just get tossed around just to make trades work.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

which looks like a totally awesome deal to me! people focusing on the Camby part of the equation need to re-look at the whole picture.we were on the hook for 23.3 mil for Bargs over the next 2 seasons and to unload that type of contract you have to take back some bad contracts in return. to blow off 3.4 mil on Camby and perhaps the 4.5 owed Q-rich for the next 3 seasons (but i'm guessing he'll show and collect his money) and then make a 3 year commitment to a good 3point shooter in Novak at 3.75 x 3 would be actually work for me to move Bargs down the road but holy crap he somehow got a 1st + a pair 2nd round picks thrown in! i suspect the Camby buy out was prearranged but for me it's an easily digestible item when looking at the entire fallout of this deal

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Camby signs with Rockets! What does that mean for Raps Cap?

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/95...al-source-says
    So now that Camby signed vets minimum with Rockets, how much money does the Raps still have to pay him? Good Bye I say to him!!!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It has zero effect on the Raps cap. They bought him out, end of story.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Buying out doesn't necessarily remove the impact a player signing elsewhere will have. In this case however, the Raptors likely including a waiving of Camby's set-off rights in their buyout, since it ended up being for a bigger discount than just what Camby would make on a vet minimum contract. So, yes, in this case, there is no impact.

But if they had waived him, then about $300,000 would come off the Raps' cap - as compared to the 1.6 M that came off via the buyout. Good job by Ujiri getting him to take less so he could walk, rather than just caving and giving him the full amount buyout as has been done before.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Elkabong wrote: View Post
    which looks like a totally awesome deal to me! people focusing on the Camby part of the equation need to re-look at the whole picture.we were on the hook for 23.3 mil for Bargs over the next 2 seasons and to unload that type of contract you have to take back some bad contracts in return. to blow off 3.4 mil on Camby and perhaps the 4.5 owed Q-rich for the next 3 seasons (but i'm guessing he'll show and collect his money) and then make a 3 year commitment to a good 3point shooter in Novak at 3.75 x 3 would be actually work for me to move Bargs down the road but holy crap he somehow got a 1st + a pair 2nd round picks thrown in! i suspect the Camby buy out was prearranged but for me it's an easily digestible item when looking at the entire fallout of this deal
    To your point, here are the financial commitments over the next few years pre and post Bargs trade.

With Bargs:
    2013-14: 10.75M
    2014-15: 11.50M
    2015-16: 0

Without Bargs:
    2013-14: Novak (3.75M) + Q-Rich (1.40M) + Camby buyout (2.76M) = 7.91M
    2014-15: Novak (3.45M) + Camby buyout (0.65M) = 4.10M
    2015-16: Novak (3.75M) = 3.75M

So for a 3.75M cap hit in 2015-16 (for a good shooter), we cleared about 3M this year and 7.4M next year, and got a first round pick and 2 2nd round picks for the trouble. This assumes Q-Rich is waived, as expected.

Post Thanks / Like

just because a player signs with a team doesn't mean he had any trade value, which i'm 100% confident camby had zero of.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    just because a player signs with a team doesn't mean he had any trade value, which i'm 100% confident camby had zero of.
    It's also a matter of approx $4M salary via trade VS vet minimum salary via free agent signing. When other teams know that you're likely going to waive a guy anyway, it puts you in an even worse negotiating position. I'm just glad MU settled for waiving him, rather than force a deal that winds up taking something worse back, just to avoid 'wasting' an asset. Same goes for LK, in addition to MC.

Raptors Republic All-Star Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Camby was never coming, that was a givin. I think this is less about MU being savvy, and more just standard stuff, and likely a bit of Camby playing nice with Toronto as Toronto was never really bad to him in the past. Sometimes...its just another day at the office, and sometimes things go ok for ya.

Thread Information