No announcement yet.

Camby saga - buyout details in post #100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Camby flexed a bit in his negotiations.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      I'm trying to understand what the benefit is for Toronto here. Is it goodwill with that player's agent? Has that ever really helped?

From what I gathered, Camby's agent is Rick Kaplan. Looking at hoopshype, the only client that Kaplan has is Camby. So why is it so important to make Camby feel good?

Just doesn't make much sense. Maybe MU doesn't want a disgruntled player? But then why not just tell him to stay home?
      What about the agency Kaplan represents? Best not to burn a bridge over small change from Bell and Rogers.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        What about the agency Kaplan represents? Best not to burn a bridge over small change from Bell and Rogers.
        Kaplan is a lawyer out of DC that just represents Camby and no one else.. at least based on what I can find on the internet.

Comment

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
            Actually, it reeks of Babcock, who traded for a healthy Mourning and then paid him a ridiculous sum of money to win a championship with the Heat's Wade-Shaq combo. One can only hope that Ujiri's buyout is much more stringent, but I will still never understand why they don't just let these guys sit at the end of the bench.

Fuck the PR nightmare, the only person who's going to be painted in a bad light is the player for not showing up, not the team for not paying him to work elsewhere.
            I am sure playing hardball with players is a great way to attract other players. It is crap that these older players feel like they can just welch on contracts but it is not worth the money to add more negatives to the stigma this team already has. In the end its on you when making a deal that involves these kind of possible scenarios. Any layman could see this coming 100 miles away. If MU wasn't prepared to handle this possible scenario then he shouldn't have done the deal.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

That's a hot steaming pile of bull poop.

I don't know, maybe Ujiri knew that this was a possibility all along, and just factored it in as the cost of getting rid of bargs.

So the updated trade is this

Raps incoming
              Novak
              Richardson (plus the cash that amounts to his salary, or part of it)
              2 2nd rounders
              1 1st rounder

Raps outgoing
              Bargs
              Cost of camby's buyout
              +cap hit of any of camby's salary that's left on the books

I'm pretty sure that the cap hit IS the cost of his buyout, even if they are I still see them as too separate costs. One is the actually money, the other is the impact on our cap, which we wouldn't have it that was just cash we sent to NYK.

So overall it's still probably a good deal for us.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

LOL, had the Raptors traded down in 2008 I wonder what kind of package they would have got for the #1?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  LOL, had the Raptors traded down in 2008 I wonder what kind of package they would have got for the #1?
                  Oddly enough, in 2006*, I could see Q-Rich or Camby as possible pieces coming back in a trade...

Don't you mean 2006?
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jul 17, 2013, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Yeah.

Comment

• Camby Buyout Details Released

Last week, the Toronto Raptors said goodbye to Marcus Camby after briefly re-acquiring the veteran center from the New York Knicks on July 10 as part of the Andrea Bargnani trade.

Camby arrived with two years remaining on his deal at $4.4 million and $4.2 million, and the second season was partially guaranteed at just over $1 million — leaving a total of $5.4 million in guaranteed salary.

The buyout for Camby will knock off $2 million, paying him a total of $3.4 million. The Raptors are taking a cap hit of $2.8 million for the coming season and $646,000 for the 2014-15 season.

As part of the multi-player deal with Camby, Quentin Richardson arrived from New York via sign-and-trade, which triggered in a hard cap for the Raptors this season at $75.8 million.

The Camby buy-out, in addition to the team’s recent amnesty of Linas Kleiza ($4.6 million), has given Toronto plenty of breathing room under the hard cap with a total payroll of $69.1 million with 14 players.

Now the Raptors are under the tax threshold of $71.8 million by approximately $2.7 million.
                      Source: http://www.hoopsworld.com/raptors-bu...6DwTW1h7PAj.99

Comment

• So basically, we traded Bargnani and $3.4M for Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson, one. first round pick, and two second round picks.

Comment

• has ujiri ever said why we offered buyout instead using him in a trade?

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                            has ujiri ever said why we offered buyout instead using him in a trade?
                            I assume because the teams who would like to have him either dont have the money in their own cap situation to absorb him or had nothing of value coming back. They also know TO is in a bit of a bind having to get rid of him so they just sit for the current situation and get him for the vet min. Its between the Bulls, Rockets & Miami he shall choose from. I am still pissed that they do this. I am sure if we had more room in our own cap status MU would have played hardball.

Comment

• It probably also didn't help when Camby whined like a little bitch and basically made it clear he would force a trade.

Comment

• i don't think the buyout was a bad deal. i do hate how it can happen though. the cake and eat it too thing bothers me. i have to sacrifice in almost everything i do when i choose something else.

me: wife i'm going drinking tonight.
                                wife: go out and no blow job
                                me: bitch, those are the best ones

Comment

Working...
                                X