Team Canada Rio 2016 Olympics - Who's in or Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Canada Rio 2016 Olympics - Who's in or Out

With Canadian basketball players getting a lot of media coverage lately, who do you think will make Canada's 12 man roster for Rio 2016 assuming we qualify. Here's my roster.

C - Joel Anthony, Kelly Olynyk, Robert Sacre
    PF - Tristan Thompson, Andrew Nicholson, Trey Lyles
    SF - Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett
    SG - Nik Stauskas, Xavier Rathan-Mayes
    PG - Cory Joseph, Tyler Ennis

Honourable mention - Myck Kabongo, Brady Heslip, Kevin Pangos

Oh there's the full roster lol. Where do you see that team ranking on the Fiba world rankings? We're 26th right now...

Comment

Sam17 wrote: View Post
      Oh there's the full roster lol. Where do you see that team ranking on the Fiba world rankings? We're 26th right now...
      If Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett are the real deal. Then we'll skyrocket up the rankings. We have arguably the second most talent after the States

Comment

You could also count the Bhullar brothers if they turn into something.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I totally agree. Argentina and Spain have gotten older and Canada has a lot of youth and athleticism. I see us getting a medal in Rio. But first things first is the Fiba Americas tourney next month.

Comment

I think you're all forgetting who's on the up-and-up...

Comment

thatdude82 wrote: View Post
              I totally agree. Argentina and Spain have gotten older and Canada has a lot of youth and athleticism. I see us getting a medal in Rio. But first things first is the Fiba Americas tourney next month.
              Qualifying for the Olympics would be a major accomplishment (last time was 2000). Other country's best players play together as a team every summer for years. It's hard to compete against that kind of continuity no matter what talent is thrown together for a tournament with "Canada" on the uniform.

First things first. Who's and who's out this summer. Canadian NBAers are consistently a no show.

Comment

Canadas U19 team beat China today and Lithuania vs USA on sportnet360 right now btw. Chance to see Marcus Smart

Comment

Sam17 wrote: View Post
                  Canadas U19 team beat China today and Lithuania vs USA on sportnet360 right now btw. Chance to see Marcus Smart
                  Canada could tie their best U19 finish since 1987(?) if they win their next game.

Comment

I agree with most of the roster, but I've added a bit more experience with some more veterans to have a good mix:

C- Joel Anthony, Samuel Dalembert, Robert Sacre
                    PF- Kelly Olynyk, Tristan Thompson, Andrew Nicholson
                    SF- Anthony Bennett, Andrew Wiggins
                    SG- Andy Rautins, Nik Staukas
                    PG- Cory Joseph, Jermaine Anderson

Comment

Canadafan1 wrote: View Post
                      I agree with most of the roster, but I've added a bit more experience with some more veterans to have a good mix:

C- Joel Anthony, Samuel Dalembert, Robert Sacre
                      PF- Kelly Olynyk, Tristan Thompson, Andrew Nicholson
                      SF- Anthony Bennett, Andrew Wiggins
                      SG- Andy Rautins, Nik Staukas
                      PG- Cory Joseph, Jermaine Anderson
                      There are fewer spots available for Olympic basketball than the World Cup tournament. Since Canada had a loaded roster (4 NBA players, no other team had more than one) at Fiba Americas and finished sixth with 4 teams qualifying, it will be an uphill battle to qualify as one of two spots for the Americas at Rio. There's no doubt Canada has basketball talent but FIBA basketball is another game entirely where individual talent is less important than overall team play.

The Canadian team had talent in Caracas and they gave it their best shot as far as the effort was there but they had their hat handed to them by Puerto Rico (one NBAer- Barea), Venezuela (none), DR (Garcia), and Argentina (Scola) though Team Canada did beat the champs, Mexico (Ayon) in round robin play.

Not qualifying for the World Cup leaves Canada with less opportunity for much needed team development in 2014. They'll likely have a camp and play some friendlies. In the 2015 Olympic qualifications Brazil, DR, Venezuela and Argentina will have their best players available unlike at Caracas last summer.

There are some omissions on your roster like Tyler Ennis and Kenny Chery at point guard, Brady Heslip, who shot well in Caracas, at shooting guard, Melvin Ejim at shooting forward, and Trey Lyles at power forward. Dalembert and Sacre have not been involved in the program recently.

Comment

What the word on the olympics? last i heard Canada was in the running for a wildcard team or something. I have no clue how the Fiba tournament works

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          What the word on the olympics? last i heard Canada was in the running for a wildcard team or something. I have no clue how the Fiba tournament works
                          There are 4 wild card teams yet to be named for the Fiba World Cup in Spain in 2014. Canada is one of 15 applying for 4 spots so there is a chance the national team will compete in Spain. The criteria is complicated and based partly on TV contracts and corporate sponsorship.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...p?newsid=70292

Comment

I think Heslip has earned a spot somewhere on the team. Not sure who'd not make it though

Comment

Yeah, Heslip's game is well-suited to the international game, and it never hurts to have shooters on the roster for a tournament like this. But Rautins, Heslip, and Stauskas are all somewhat redundant skillsets; right now I'd keep Heslip over Stauskas, but they've got a couple years to battle for that spot.

I think Powell could be in the mix, as could Birch. I really like Ejim's chances; he could turn into an excellent player in Europe, and may be a really nice fit as a backup SF. Also Bachynski at center. I think it's also too soon to count out Kris Joseph. Or Kabongo for that matter.

What's Dalembert's official status? I didn't think he'd ever suit up for Basketball Canada again after his falling-out last time.

Right now you've got about 7 guys in the NBA who probably make the team, a couple more recent draft picks playing d-league or international, and about 10 guys who are currently in the NCAA who could be in the mix for the team in a couple years. It's going to be a real battle as some very good players aren't going to make the cut.
                              Last edited by octothorp; Fri Jan 3, 2014, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X