No announcement yet.

So what happens if Rudy Gay opts out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Rudy walks you have $20 Mill to go shopping with. Not the worst thing in the world.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      He's going to have a breakout season. Bank on it. For the first time in his career he'll be the team's #1 option. Expect Rudy to average 22+ppg next season.
      Rudy Gay led Memphis in usage every year from 2007 to 2010, and then again the past 2 seasons. He also lead the Raptors this past year. The two years he didn't, he was only 1-2% behind Randolph.

There is nothing unique happening with Gay's role on this team.

Comment

My biggest problem with Rudy is that from an incentive standpoint, he's lose-lose. If he plays great, he'll have a lot of incentive to shop himself around next year (he's hardly tied to Toronto, after all) and try to land another crazy deal, and can probably manage something at least Josh Smith-sized in that instance. If he plays at the level he was at last year, we've got a $10M player at best taking up $20M of cap space.

Comment

One good scenario is that if he does play well this year, he doesn't have to opt out to get a longer deal, so long as the Raps want to keep him. If he agrees to an extension, he can sign an extension of 4 years (this one counts) where the first season is his current PO salary and the final two are whatever they negotiate. For example, he can keep his $19.3 M and also sign on for 12M per season for the following two seasons. That's effectively the same as a 14.5M per year deal for 3 years, in terms of overall pay. Raps would be pretty stuck next summer in terms of paying taxes, but if the team is playing well, maybe that's not a concern.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

It's a real worry for Rogers/Bell multi- billion net worth to be paying NBA luxury tax..suppose no matter how rich, no one wants to lose money, though.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
              It's a real worry for Rogers/Bell multi- billion net worth to be paying NBA luxury tax..suppose no matter how rich, no one wants to lose money, though.
              Aside for when you've got Prokhorov, of course

Comment

Lefty wrote: View Post
                That's because he's a foreigner, he doesn't understand. Ha. Which is kind of a good thing..
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Lefty wrote: View Post
                  Even though he is spending a lot and doesn't mind paying taxes, it's not like he's just throwing away his money. In a short period of time the brand of the Nets has grown immensly and if he would sell the team (coupled with his interest in the stadium) he would get a lot more than when he bought the team. He paid 200 mil. and Forbes now values the team at 530 mil. . Most likely it will increase in value again this year. On top of that he's probably making good use of the business opportunities having the Nets creates for them.

Comment

If Rudy decides to opt-out then that is an indication to me that he wants to play elsewhere. Why else drop a $19mil paycheck? It's unlikely he will get another years salary like that anywhere. If he intends on staying then opt-in for the last year and then sign an extension...doesn't that make the most sense from Rudy's perspective?

I would assume MU will have a good idea of Rudy's intentions going forward prior to the deadline and if he even gets a hint Rudy may opt-out I think he will trade him. At least, thats what I hope will happen if there is ANY evidence he will opt-out. Don't pussyfoot around, get rid of the guy if he isn't absolutely sure he wants to spend another 3-4 years here.

Of course, if he is willing to opt-out and resign another deal that will free up some cash for the Raps to bring in another important piece, well, that would be the ideal situation.

All of this obviously depends on how this season goes for both Rudy and the team.

Comment

Gay will almost assuredly exercise his option. He will get a 4-year deal at a minimum from some team and he will ensure himself more guaranteed money.

As for people who think Toronto will sign him to some 4/40 deal, I do not think that is possible if he opts out. My understanding is that if Gay opts out and Toronto wants to sign a long term deal with him, the new deal must be for a minimum of two years (guaranteed and no options) and the first year salary must be no less than Gay would have made in the option year (i.e. at least $19 million). I isn't clear to me if subsequent years can be for less money but I don't think that can be done.

Can one of our cap experts comment?

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        If Rudy decides to opt-out then that is an indication to me that he wants to play elsewhere. Why else drop a $19mil paycheck? It's unlikely he will get another years salary like that anywhere. If he intends on staying then opt-in for the last year and then sign an extension...doesn't that make the most sense from Rudy's perspective?
                        He will get more guaranteed money if he opts out. Think of it this way: he can get $19 million guaranteed for year one or he can get something like $50 million for years one - four. If he blows out his knee in year one, he gets the $19 million but he leaves $30 million on the table.

Players always go for the guaranteed money. Smarter.

Comment

Anyone who thinks he won't decline that player option is an idiot.

A player of his caliber can secure a long-term deal (likely at least 4yr/60M). You don't pass that up for a one season cash in. Having a guaranteed long-term income is more important which is why we ROUTINELY see stars opt out in the last year of their deal (if they have a player option/ETO).

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                            If Rudy walks you have $20 Mill to go shopping with. Not the worst thing in the world.
                            Not unless Lowry walks as well and you renounce both players bird rights to free up cap holds.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              He will get more guaranteed money if he opts out. Think of it this way: he can get $19 million guaranteed for year one or he can get something like $50 million for years one - four. If he blows out his knee in year one, he gets the $19 million but he leaves $30 million on the table.

Players always go for the guaranteed money. Smarter.
                              I think i understand, however, the idea of guaranteed money is then based on the possibility of obtaining an injury during his contract year, thus reducing his value in the longer term? The way I'm looking at it is, he can opt in and get his 19 mil, then test out FA and he will probably still get a deal in the 12-15 mil per range. Thats still 4-7 mil more for the opt in year. However, if what you say is true in your previous post, then the better thing for him to do is opt-out, if of course, a re-signing with the Raps means that he has to get the 19 mil, at least for the first year of the extension.

I'm getting confused lol. I'll echo you slaw....cap experts comments please!!

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                                I think i understand, however, the idea of guaranteed money is then based on the possibility of obtaining an injury during his contract year, thus reducing his value in the longer term? The way I'm looking at it is, he can opt in and get his 19 mil, then test out FA and he will probably still get a deal in the 12-15 mil per range. Thats still 4-7 mil more for the opt in year. However, if what you say is true in your previous post, then the better thing for him to do is opt-out, if of course, a re-signing with the Raps means that he has to get the 19 mil, at least for the first year of the extension.

I'm getting confused lol. I'll echo you slaw....cap experts comments please!!
                                This year's prime example was Iggy, who opted out of $16M, to sign for 4 years at $12M I think. I don't think the Raps would have to pay the $19M if he opted out and re-signed with the Raps. Maybe that would be the case if they extended him before he opted out?

Comment

Working...
                                X