So what happens if Rudy Gay opts out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iblastoff wrote: View Post
    not a bad scenario? its a horrible scenario! sure we gain some cap space, but now we'd be severely limited in trading ability, which is probably the only way we would get equal/better talent/value.
    There would be free agent players.. could sign someone else and have more (or even better) assets that they could move in different deals. So I don't really see how they would be limited in trading ability.. if anything it would open up more flexibility for lop sided trades since they would have so much cap space.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      There would be free agent players.. could sign someone else and have more (or even better) assets that they could move in different deals. So I don't really see how they would be limited in trading ability.. if anything it would open up more flexibility for lop sided trades since they would have so much cap space.
      whens the last time we signed anyone worthwhile via FA?

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
        whens the last time we signed anyone worthwhile via FA?
        New regime.. could bring in different players. Detroit for example was able to get Josh Smith. He's not a superstar, but a talented player that could easily be flipped in a year or two for other capable players.

The Raptors could open their wallets for a similar player.

Also 2014 is the Wiggins draft year.. plus it's the year that Lebron/Wade/Bosh can all become free agents (if they chose too). Now let's say a team is willing to dump assets so that they can chase Lebron or Wade in free agency. And let's say they need a team with cap space so that they can dump some of those assets with draft picks (for example). Wouldn't having $20M in cap space be a good thing (for example)?

Comment

New regime.. could bring in different players. Detroit for example was able to get Josh Smith. He's not a superstar, but a talented player that could easily be flipped in a year or two for other capable players.

Also 2014 is the Wiggins draft year.. plus it's the year that Lebron/Wade/Bosh can all become free agents (if they chose too). Now let's say a team is willing to dump assets so that they can chase Lebron or Wade in free agency. And let's say they need a team with cap space so that they can dump some of those assets with draft picks (for example). Wouldn't having $20M in cap space be a good thing (for example)?
          realistically, its pretty obvious lebron/wade/bosh are all sticking together for another year. so thats a pretty far-fetched scenario.

don't forget the stipulation for being able to afford a higher priced player via FA is because of rudy gay *choosing* to leave. i doubt that puts us in a favourable light for other players to want to sign here when arguably our best player chooses to walk.

Comment

something else to consider. He is coming back a lot stronger with fixed vision. He plays elite level bball this season 25pts 8rebounds 4assists a block and a steal a game. He does so well that he opts out so that he doesn't HAVE to compete with the huge 2015 FA crowd. Being the marquee 2014 FA get would likely land him in a better position.
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

At the same time, teams that missed out on the 'Big 3' sweepstakes would be willing to throw money at Gay if he is a FA or he could be looking to join a contender. I really want to believe that ownership can retain high caliber players at a decent salaries but with Toronto's history of overpaying I'm really unsure about the idea.
              Don't follow me. @AngryRaptorsFan

Comment

It's actually the perfect year for him to opt out. While so many of the top free agent destinations are clearing cap space with Melo & Lebron in mind, only 2 teams will get them. Rudy becomes the next best thing on the wing, 19 million garanteed is hard to walk away from but you know some dumb GM desperate to get out of the lottery or stay out of the lottery will offer him at least 60 million, someone might even offer him Max depending on how much he improves. That cap space might not be available in 2015, eventually those teams are gonna have to refill their roster with long term contracts (especially the Mavs and Lakers they've been saving cap space for 2 years already).

We can speculate all we want but it all depends on 2 factors that won't have an answer until the end of next season.

1- How much he enjoys playing with this current squad
                2- How much masai thinks he's worth.

Both remain to be determined.

Comment

AngryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  At the same time, teams that missed out on the 'Big 3' sweepstakes would be willing to throw money at Gay if he is a FA or he could be looking to join a contender. I really want to believe that ownership can retain high caliber players at a decent salaries but with Toronto's history of overpaying I'm really unsure about the idea.
                  If he does t want to play for the raps, hell opt out. If he opts in, there is hope
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

There is probably a 70%-80% chance he keeps his option, but MU needs to gauge that situation sooner then later. If the Raptors want to get a tangible asset for Gay then it would make sense to trade him now or else get into that Bosh situation all over again (although it worked out well for MU and Carmelo).

Let's look at each scenario:

1) Gay declines his option, and then resigns with the Raptors for much less but for a long term deal (like 4 years / $13M).

This would probably my most preferable scenario, but probably very unlikely.

2) Gay declines his option, and signs elsewhere for a long term deal.

The Raptors lose Ed Davis (and a 2nd rounder) for nothing. They could do a S&T, but I don't see it happening (Denver did not do a S&T with AI for example)... but they become serious free agent players in 2014.

3) Gay keeps his option. He becomes a UFA in 2015 and resigns with the Raptors.

This is probably the most likely outcome, assuming the Raptors are interested. They will have his Bird rights so can resign him to any value even if they are above the cap.

4) Gay keeps his option. He becomes a UFA in 2015 and resigns with another team.

The Raptors could lose him for nothing (like scenario 1), or they could do a S&T but then they could be stuck with crappy assets.

5) The Raptors extend him now.. this is the least desirable option as his starting salary would be about $19M a year.

I'm in the anti-tanking crowd, so I'd prefer to keep Gay and hope he opts out so that he can resign for a cheaper/longer term deal. But if he does leave for nothing, well $20M of cap space is not so bad either. Not really that bad of a worst case scenario.

Gay seems to be a guy that will go where the money is, and having to overpay him again just to keep him doesn't jive with me. It will definitely be a good conversation to have a year from now assuming he's still with the team.
                    IT is looking like AI will be signed and traded in a three team deal that allows Denver to get a player (Foye)/TPE and GSW to get a TPE which will allow them to keep their exceptions (which could have allowed them to keep Jack or Landry!) and Utah gets what they always were getting.

Comment

If he decides to opt out, Raps. should try to re-sign him to a reasonable deal. If they can't, the flexibility will help. No loss, the way I see it.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

If there is no extension in place by deadline I will expect both Kyle and Rudy to be traded by deadline. Call it a mid season tank. Masai will use the first few months for evaluations and once Kyle and Rudy have played well & consistently enough they will be shippied out for prospects and picks. Thats one option.

I have a hard time believing they want to win now based on how TL basically shat on Colangelo and this team the moment he walked in the door. But I must say the suspense is killing me lol. Tomorrow will come and go and the only thing done will have been Andrea to NY, although on one hand I guess a move like that deserves a full day of reflection, maybe even a Maple Leafs Square party to celebrate lol

Comment

Liberal wrote: View Post
                          If there is no extension in place by deadline I will expect both Kyle and Rudy to be traded by deadline. Call it a mid season tank. Masai will use the first few months for evaluations and once Kyle and Rudy have played well & consistently enough they will be shippied out for prospects and picks. Thats one option.

I have a hard time believing they want to win now based on how TL basically shat on Colangelo and this team the moment he walked in the door. But I must say the suspense is killing me lol. Tomorrow will come and go and the only thing done will have been Andrea to NY, although on one hand I guess a move like that deserves a full day of reflection, maybe even a Maple Leafs Square party to celebrate lol
                          I could very well see this being MU's strategy for the season, beyond just Gay and/or Lowry. He might choose to use the first half as an overall roster evaluation, both individually and as far as fit/chemistry. Depending on how the season starts out, in terms of both win/loss record and player development, he could decide to make moves to challenge for the playoffs or completely blow it up, with an eye on getting a top-5 pick in the draft.

This could be a great way to handle Gay, Lowry, DeRozan, etc... especially since there could be a renewed and competitive market for those types of players leading up to the trade deadline, as bubble teams decide to make a push for the playoffs. MU could do very well getting young players who are stuck at the end of or outside teams' rotation (think Lamb/PJII in OKC last season), as well as 1st round picks. Even getting a couple mid-1st round picks in the 2014 draft, in combination with their own lottery pick, could provide a means of moving up in the draft or stockpiling several good young assets.

Comment

And this way, like you mentioned, he can still go either way. If the team has more internal developement beyond anyones expectations then they can make moves to try and get better to.

Also, has anyone seen Lowry this offseason? I seen a pic of him n hes looking approx 190lbs. None of this 210 business. Im kind of hoping they go this route so we can really see what we have now and also get max value for players.

Comment

Here is Lowry this off-season

http://instagram.com/p/agsKeykl_f/

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                                Rudy won't walk away from his player option considering he'll be making just under a cool $20 million.
                                Unless someone wants to give him max money. Perhaps Colangelo is back and on a team with cap space, looking to make the playoffs?

Comment

Working...
                                X