Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 88

Thread: Playoff Picture

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My top 4 in the west are as follows

    1) Spurs
    2) Warriors (assuming bogut and curry stay health, significant games lost due to injury drops them into a 3-way tie for 4th)
    3) Houston
    4) OKC (OKC REALLY sh!t the bed when they traded Harden a year early. They don't seem to be willing/able to fill out their roster with the right pieces, I think their championship window is now closed.)
    Tied for 5th Memphis & LAC. (If GSW faces some injuries these 3 teams will be fighting it out for the 4th spot)
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1. OKC - still have 2 top 10 players and Ibaka is still a defensive force. They have a couple of good players coming off the bench as well.
    2. Spurs - Until they start looking old I just have to have them in my top 4
    3. Warriors - If Curry goes down they will struggle in the playoffs
    4. Houston - I really like this team if they can add another perimeter shooter to surround Howard

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Anyone think that this upcoming season is going to be the most competitive season in a long time? It seems like a lot of teams have benefited from the development of young talent... The West in particular is crazy.
    Barring injuries, yes.

    Most frightening is the elite continue to be the elite while the competition to run on the treadmill (7-11) is getting more intense.

    I'm starting to think more and more a proper rebuild should be a priority unless a bonafide all-star is coming back to Toronto to partner with Lowry-Gay-JV. The only one I can think of right now who conceivably could be available is Al Horford given the signing of Paul Millsap and the pursuit of Bynum. But even then I would think there is a lot more value in the league for what Toronto could offer.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Could be moves to tank or could be moves to strengthen, but I get this feeling that Ujiri has some surprises coming up via trade. It seems like he's just waiting for the FA agency period to pass.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  5. Like mcHAPPY, white men can't jump liked this post
  6. #45
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Could be moves to tank or could be moves to strengthen, but I get this feeling that Ujiri has some surprises coming up via trade. It seems like he's just waiting for the FA agency period to pass.
    I agree. I think he's also evaluating the moves made by other bubble teams, to help determine whether a 'compete now' or 'rebuild/retool' strategy is in the best long-term interest of the team. With so many perennial lottery teams making bold moves to try and become relevant in what was long perceived to be a weak playoff race, the 'tanking' competition has suddenly thinned out substantially. Even some degree of 'tanking' (aka big retooling) is suddenly much more attractive and potentially advantageous, than it was even a week ago.

    MU has already shown a willingness to make definitive moves (Bargnani trade) to shape the team the way he sees fit, so I think there's a method to his madness, even if it makes for slow, frustrating days of chatting here on RR. I can't help but feel this is the calm before the storm, so to speak.

  7. #46
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Could be moves to tank or could be moves to strengthen, but I get this feeling that Ujiri has some surprises coming up via trade. It seems like he's just waiting for the FA agency period to pass.
    This last part is my impression.

    I mean, really, the team doesn't have the resources to make any major free agency plays. It makes perfect sense to sit back and wait for other teams to do what they want. I don't know if he'll make any major moves this summer, but it's hard to play the trade market when other teams are filling out their rosters.

    I'm also really happy that nothing really leaks from this front office so far, not even vague statements. I don't know what direction he's going in or if he's going to try to start it this summer. But judging by the Bargs trade, whether he makes moves now or later, he'll bust his ass maxing out the value of guys when he trades them. Anyone wonder how many hours he spent on the phone shopping Bargs? And then on top of that getting a deal that was basically highway robbery? Yeah, he definitely bought himself a season or two of good faith from me.

  8. #47
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    With so many perennial lottery teams making bold moves to try and become relevant in what was long perceived to be a weak playoff race, the 'tanking' competition has suddenly thinned out substantially. Even some degree of 'tanking' (aka big retooling) is suddenly much more attractive and potentially advantageous, than it was even a week ago.

    Surprisingly teams like Detroit, Cleveland and even Charlette are not tanking. At least the plan is not to, it seems. This makes tanking more appealing.

    I'm not in favour of 'partial' or 'some degree' of tanking though. Not that it can't work, but Toronto has tried it too often and failed. Too much time has been wasted trying to do that.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  9. #48
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    But judging by the Bargs trade, whether he makes moves now or later, he'll bust his ass maxing out the value of guys when he trades them. Anyone wonder how many hours he spent on the phone shopping Bargs? And then on top of that getting a deal that was basically highway robbery? Yeah, he definitely bought himself a season or two of good faith from me.
    The Bargs trade gave me the impression that 'tanking' is going to happen but I could be totally wrong. I think so 'cause trading Camby and Q Richardson in separate deals for 2nd rounders is not impossible.

    I think Ujiri got back much, much more than he expected and it(trading Bargs) was much easier than he expected. Novak is a liability but Bargs was a bigger one.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  10. #49
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Question, OKC is small market team, but are the owners willing to invest into them beyond luxury tax, to keep them contenders? For me now it's no because they traded Harden as he was easy replacement, but maybe there's more behind this?
    #FREE

  11. #50
    Raptors Republic Rookie feet85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Scarborough,ON
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1. Miami Heat
    2. Indiana Pacers
    3. Chicago Bulls
    4. Brooklyn Nets
    5. New York Knicks
    6. Toronto Raptors
    7. Washington Wizards
    8. Detroit Pistons/Atlanta Hawks

    I think these will be your Eastern Conference Playoffs next season, the cavs are still one year away imo but that could change if Bynum signs with them and plays like he did with the lakeshow
    #BringBackUzoh

  12. #51
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Question, OKC is small market team, but are the owners willing to invest into them beyond luxury tax, to keep them contenders? For me now it's no because they traded Harden as he was easy replacement, but maybe there's more behind this?
    SA is a small market team that has proved that if spending keeps them a 'top team', it's worth it. I don't know the dynamics of the OKC market but I don't see why they wouldn't do the same IF THEY HAVE TO.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  13. #52
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    SA is a small market team that has proved that if spending keeps them a 'top team', it's worth it. I don't know the dynamics of the OKC market but I don't see why they wouldn't do the same IF THEY HAVE TO.
    Well Harden was pretty obvious case, that they have to extend him. This is why I'm scratching my head now. I remmember he wanted more, but at the same time he mentioned that he wants to stay.
    #FREE

  14. #53
    Raptors Republic Starter Sam17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Brampton, ON
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote feet85 wrote: View Post
    1. Miami Heat
    2. Indiana Pacers
    3. Chicago Bulls
    4. Brooklyn Nets
    5. New York Knicks
    6. Toronto Raptors
    7. Washington Wizards
    8. Detroit Pistons/Atlanta Hawks

    I think these will be your Eastern Conference Playoffs next season, the cavs are still one year away imo but that could change if Bynum signs with them and plays like he did with the lakeshow
    1.Miami Heat
    2.Indiana Pacers
    3.Brooklyn Nets
    4.Chicago Bulls
    5.New York Knicks
    6.Washington Wizards
    7.Atlanta Hawks
    8.Detroit Pistons/Boston Celtics/Toronto Raptors

    I'm finding it harder and harder to imagine the Raptors in the playoffs. They look like the 9th or 10th most talented team in the East right now in my opinion. If Bynum goes to the cavs and returns to form, they might even drop an extra spot in my predictions.

  15. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  16. #54
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Sam17 wrote: View Post
    1.Miami Heat
    2.Indiana Pacers
    3.Brooklyn Nets
    4.Chicago Bulls
    5.New York Knicks
    6.Washington Wizards
    7.Atlanta Hawks
    8.Detroit Pistons/Boston Celtics/Toronto Raptors

    I'm finding it harder and harder to imagine the Raptors in the playoffs. They look like the 9th or 10th most talented team in the East right now in my opinion. If Bynum goes to the cavs and returns to form, they might even drop an extra spot in my predictions.
    I think #6-12 in the East are all close right now (adding Cleveland and Milwaukee to the list above). There seems to be a pretty clear top-5 and bottom-3 (Charlotte, Philly and Orlando), leaving a highly competitive group of 7 bubble teams to fight over just 3 playoff spots.

    Although I'm not [yet] on board with any degree of tanking, this is the one year where tanking is significantly better than being one of the teams aggressively fighting for the playoffs that winds up missing the playoffs and getting #12-14 pick, given the immense talent projected to be at the top of the draft. I think that's the fence that MU is straddling right now... to fight on the bubble or tank... tough call for a new GM to make, especially with the expectations he and TL have been talking about.

  17. Like Sam17 liked this post
  18. #55
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Well Harden was pretty obvious case, that they have to extend him. This is why I'm scratching my head now. I remmember he wanted more, but at the same time he mentioned that he wants to stay.
    It's the reason I put "IF THEY HAVE TO' in capital letters(first post). Obviously they decided that they could remain just as competitive after the trade and it seemed to be working. If I'm right they fell to SA, the eventual runner-up, in the play-offs.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  19. #56
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Knicks are not a lock for the playoffs. Swapping Novak for Bargnani was probably a very bad idea. They also lose depth at PG without Kidd. Amare and Chandler are both one year older. There is more competition in the East then last year, so they may lose more games. I don't know if they will start the season with the same hot streak as last year.

    I don't know.. although I didn't think the Knicks would make the playoffs last year and they did.

  20. #57
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Looking at the Charlotte fan boards, they are evenly split after the Jefferson signing - half of them are "we should tank" and half of them are "WHO ELSE CAN WE GET LET'S DO THIS!" They are seriously psyched. It's nuts.

    I wonder if Charlotte would go for a mega-trade, taking Rudy and maybe a couple of other players (Lowry, maybe Ross or DeMar or Acy, maybe the rights to Zubcic) from us in exchange for a number of their picks, Ben Gordon's terrible but expiring contract, Ramon Sessions' contract and maybe one good young player like Gerald Henderson who's an RFA anyway. Instantly upgrades them to near-contender status, gives us the tank we want plus a good young asset.

  21. #58
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Looking at the Charlotte fan boards, they are evenly split after the Jefferson signing - half of them are "we should tank" and half of them are "WHO ELSE CAN WE GET LET'S DO THIS!" They are seriously psyched. It's nuts.

    I wonder if Charlotte would go for a mega-trade, taking Rudy and maybe a couple of other players (Lowry, maybe Ross or DeMar or Acy, maybe the rights to Zubcic) from us in exchange for a number of their picks, Ben Gordon's terrible but expiring contract, Ramon Sessions' contract and maybe one good young player like Gerald Henderson who's an RFA anyway. Instantly upgrades them to near-contender status, gives us the tank we want plus a good young asset.
    Charlotte would be one of the first teams I called in regards to a Rudy Gay deal if I'm Ujiri.
    Reports are that they want to get out of the basement and the Jefferson signing reaffirms that. They have a few young, cheap assets with room left to grow and they even have two 2014 first round picks, so the chances of them giving up one are probably greater than other teams who only have their own.

  22. #59
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    The Knicks are not a lock for the playoffs. Swapping Novak for Bargnani was probably a very bad idea. They also lose depth at PG without Kidd. Amare and Chandler are both one year older. There is more competition in the East then last year, so they may lose more games. I don't know if they will start the season with the same hot streak as last year.

    I don't know.. although I didn't think the Knicks would make the playoffs last year and they did.
    Knicks are a definite playoff team in my opinion barring crazy injury (but that can be said for a lot of teams).

    I do think they will be a first round exit.

    They won't beat BKN, MIA, IND, or CHI in the regular season standings or playoffs.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  23. #60
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    they even have two 2014 first round picks
    They have THREE 2014 first-round picks. Their own, Detroit's (protected top 8) and Portland's (protected top 12). Given Detroit and Portland's offseason improvements, it's quite possible that all three picks fire off this year.

  24. Like Fully liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •