Ujiri: He'd Be "Comfortable" Beginning Season With This Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
    We can find that extra talent with our draft picks even 2nd round picks can produce Rondo, Ginobli, etc. And we can always pick up a bad contract like Boozer, for expiring contracts when we decide to go all in. Also Demar is still around and might increase his trade value by next season
    2nd round picks actually producing competent players are very few and far between. That's hardly a very realistic option to turn this team around.

Picking up more bad contracts? I'm not sure if that is worse than the first thing you said.

Demar increasing his trade value usually means he's playing better. Why would we want to trade him then?

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
      Last addendum for the night...I think the "two year plan" speaks to a window where the city/fans will tolerate losing before they expect to see the upside again..... not playoffs in two years. That's diggin'
      iblastoff wrote: View Post
      And who exactly are we going to trade (without losing anyone in our so called "core") to get this proven player?

The lineup isn't even close to being a contender. We didn't even beat the heat ONCE last season. I highly doubt there's huge leaps and bounds in talent next season.
      Going to be an unhappy summer for you guys?

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
        In the span of a little more than a month, Ujiri has shown how good a GM can be..... makes BC look like a fool really.
        yep

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
          Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen him cut...
          As soon as the saw the above quote, I thought of the same thing as below.

planetmars wrote: View Post
          Don't forget, he's also playing for a new contract.
          I am expecting Lowry to BlOW UP this season. But we need to remember that when renegotiating a new contract with him.

It's nice during the rosy part of a new relationship where the person says it's "Win-Win" and you don't immediately think "You mean Lose-Lose?"

Uriji is also getting a pass from me until the trade deadline. So far, I like what he's doing.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
            lol, What's tank nation going to do the rest of the Summer? Start a UjiriMustGo campaign?
            I don't think so.

It might be maddening to hardcore fans and journalists but he is doing the right thing.

I'm sure if he gets a knockout offer for anyone they are gone. But any deal is coming from a position of strength solidified by his secrecy and patience.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
              And who exactly are we going to trade (without losing anyone in our so called "core") to get this proven player?

The lineup isn't even close to being a contender. We didn't even beat the heat ONCE last season. I highly doubt there's huge leaps and bounds in talent next season.
              We have Draft picks, Amir, and expiring deals. I'm not against trading away 1st rounders for the right player. He has to be young, decent contract and a proven player. IMO we are close. We battled injuries, and youth last season. There's no doubt in my mind our present lineup plus another all-star, or borderline allstar PF wouldn't be in the top end of the East and possibly a championship team in the next 2-3 years. Miami could be dismantled after next season, Brooklyn is old, the Knicks...are the Knicks... now is the time.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                the only problem with this plan is "where do we just get that all-star?". We have no cap room. No one is going to go over the luxury tax to add a player to this team. Someone has got to go.
                Amir Johnson + T. Ross (maybe pick as well) for Rajon Rondo.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
                  Going to be an unhappy summer for you guys?
                  ???? I'm ok with that plan. My summer will be great.

Comment

• There is truth to the theory that "time breeds chemistry". It's very possible that an extra summer and training camp together could yield some positive results that didn't materialize last year.

Now I'm not confusing this team with a top-4 seed, but the Raptors could be an entertaining bunch, which (in theory) raises the value of most of our roster, and maintains the option for Ujiri to make franchise-altering moves when the chance presents itself.

Could be an entertaining year for a number of reasons.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I'm sure if he gets a knockout offer for anyone they are gone. But any deal is coming from a position of strength solidified by his secrecy and patience.
                      I think that is the central point I took away from the Ujiri quotes. The Raptors are still open for business, but aren't going to sell the farm on any deals.

For me, I found the phrase "content to go into the season with this roster" to speak volumes. That doesn't strike me as a high endorsement for how Ujiri views the current makeup of the Raptors.

It doesn't imply that this is the roster/path that he wants for this season, it says that it is better that some options (Detroit's garbage offer for Gay).
                      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• I think the two yar plan is just meaning that we wil see how things play out over two years and try not to hurt our flexibility. Right now we have 9.5 million commited in salary for 2015-2016 (about 20 million if you count team options on Ross, Acy, and Valanciunas). I think that's what the 2-year plan means, that Ujiri is planning on not making any big moves in the interum that hurt his flexability for that off season. If this squad is good over the next two years and looks like it has potential, maybe we just keep tweaking the roster and try to resign our expensive pieces. If at the end of two years we're still a fringe team or worse, he let's everyone walk and rebuilds from scratch.

EDIT: I forgot to add Novak's salary, so it's more like 13 million commited in 2015-2016 and 24 with options.
                        Last edited by hateslosing; Thu Jul 11, 2013, 10:50 AM.
                        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                          We have Draft picks, Amir, and expiring deals. I'm not against trading away 1st rounders for the right player. He has to be young, decent contract and a proven player. IMO we are close. We battled injuries, and youth last season. There's no doubt in my mind our present lineup plus another all-star, or borderline allstar PF wouldn't be in the top end of the East and possibly a championship team in the next 2-3 years. Miami could be dismantled after next season, Brooklyn is old, the Knicks...are the Knicks... now is the time.
                          3 teams knocked out. Still to consider the Bulls with a healthy Rose, and the Indiana Pacers which I believe will be a better team this season. Atlanta will continue to be a better team - treadmill - but better with Millsap and Horford in the front-court, plus a healthy scorer with Lou Williams.

Next season, like Nilanka had mentioned, will be entertaining for a number of reasons. I feel much more comfortable going into the season with a healthy Rudy Gay to start, a much tougher & defensive minded roster already with Hansbrough & Stone, a year of experience under Acy, Ross, & JV's belt, Lowry in a contract year, one of the best 3 point shooters in the league with Novak, DeRozan putting in another Summer of work, Fields getting time on the elbow, and of course Amir, Gray, etc. to follow. Whether or not this current roster will be the one opening up October 31st/30th (unlikely), I'm not going to have second thoughts.

I also love the fact that Ujiri has no expectations, whatever this team shows until the trade deadline in February, is what the team will roll with. If they win games, and are in a position to make the playoffs, great. If they are losing, Ujiri has the assets/pieces to make trades in regards to tanking for the 2014 draft. It's a win-win.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Ujiri's got something in the works. I can feel it. He's being way too vague. He's doing what I do when I come home from the LCBO and don't want my wife to know how much I spent.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• He doesn't have anything planned. I'm 85% sure
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                Ujiri's got something in the works. I can feel it. He's being way too vague. He's doing what I do when I come home from the LCBO and don't want my wife to know how much I spent.
                                LOL...from my experience it also has something to do with the time of day as well (night mostly).

But you are right about Masai...he handles the questions in a way that BC was unfamiliar with is the best I can up with in terms of style differences. BC was too glib and used too much corporate-speak and most times he was speaking to a done deal....hastily done or beating the competition with the check book like with the Turk.

Comment

Working...
                                X