Bill Simmons Is Consistently...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brandon wrote:
    The trouble is, the Raps might miss out on one of these young superstars in the upcoming draft. They're already too good, Nash might make them even better. He's right that the Raptors are a league-wide joke, with no good history. What they could really use is a serious owner.
    I think Bell and Rogers are pretty serious owners. They are in this for content.

If you mean an individual owner billionaire like Cuban who is happy to lose money to win, then, yeah, sure that would be ideal.

But bringing in Leiweke, then Ujiri, then cleaning house, then bringing in an assistant GM and paying him double league average.... I think these are serious changes relative to OTPP ownership.

The roster is going to take time but I don't think we'll see a situation like Harden shipped out to avoid luxury tax should Toronto ever land 4 stars worthy of the entire cap on their own.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
      He talks a good game. A great game. Best game in town. So did BC. So did Richard Peddie. Talkin' don't count for nothin' -- it's the doins that count.
      Isn't this a discussion about ownership? Who brought Leiweke in? Do you think he came cheap? Do you not think his resume speaks for itself?

There is more than talk going on when it comes to the Raptors.

We'll have to agree to disagree if you don't see it.

The front office was gutted. Quality people have been brought in.

Bargnani is gone.

Changes don't come at the snap of fingers but they are there and evident.

Comment

Simmons is funny, and actually knows more about basketball than pretty much all of us. I thought his 1000+ page book on basketball was awesome too (as far as I know, none of us have done that).

And I know it hurts when he shits on the storied franchise known as the Toronto Raptors, but seriously, does that really bother you?

And Nash as a backup PG would be OK. I don't think there's any cap space anyway.
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
          Simmons is funny, and actually knows more about basketball than pretty much all of us. I thought his 1000+ page book on basketball was awesome too (as far as I know, none of us have done that).

And I know it hurts when he shits on the storied franchise known as the Toronto Raptors, but seriously, does that really bother you?

And Nash as a backup PG would be OK. I don't think there's any cap space anyway.
          He doesn't know enough to know that the foundation of his article is impossible due to the CBA.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            He doesn't know enough to know that the foundation of his article is impossible due to the CBA.
            Meh. Maybe he waives his trade kicker. Maybe if I had six more arms I'd be an octopus. We can sit here and pick it apart from our office chairs but it really doesn't seem worth it. I enjoyed it.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I think only way Masai takes on Nash is either Kleiza n Gray for Nash n a 1st or Fields n Gray for Nash n 2nds. Straight up no picks, no chance. Still dont think there is a chance, maybe if B was GM still.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                Bill Simmons is an entertainer first, a basketball fan second, and a credible source last. While I do not doubt he has a wealth of basketball information, his job is not to inform, it is to generate traffic. And this thread demonstrates that he does his job well.
                Isnt that what a twat is?

ps...I thought I recognized your points for the most part in my note.

My reaction stems from his various/previous put downs I have seen or read of/by him and all with the requisite smirk. He does have a good historic perspective on the game but he strikes me as one of those political american pundits who use Canada as a whipping child when it is convenient.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                  Meh. Maybe he waives his trade kicker. Maybe if I had six more arms I'd be an octopus. We can sit here and pick it apart from our office chairs but it really doesn't seem worth it. I enjoyed it.
                  don't bother. matt found his strawman.

i get a chuckle out of the geniuses on here who spout off about simmons' lack of bball IQ, or his 'putting down' of canada, the raptors etc...because it only drives home the point that those who believe this don't have a clue what they're talking about.

to qualify...i'm about as anti-boston as there is. i disagree with simmons on quite a bit, and i find his style grating. but what i've found over the years is that he actually does know what he's talking about. while many of his contemporaries are pundit-ing away and trying their damnedest to appease the masses, he's been a fairly objective critic. sure, he sees things through celtic-coloured glasses, and if that's enough to disqualify everything he says, well, that's on you.

as for the article, and the section on the raps - how is what he wrote in any way disrespectful to canada or raptor fans? is something he wrote untrue? please, indulge me in the greatest moments in raptor history. i'll give you 5 minutes. not sure what we'll talk about for the remaining 4 m 45 seconds tho...

as for the trade idea...i'm not sure why it's so bad (if it could be made to work under the CBA, which shouldn't be too difficult...a shuffling of the deck chairs more than anything). nash ain't winning in LA this year, and the likelihood that they'll be able to retool on the fly and be a chip contender before his contract is up is probably at about 3%. if he's going to be on a shitty team, it might as well be on the raptors, who have a clear need for a back-up PG & some legit veteran leadership. if you're in the TANKTANKTANK camp, well, his role can be suitably diminished, and it's not like this is '06 nash anyway. and if you're in the camp that believes they need to start creating a winning culture & push for the playoffs while developing young talent, who better than a guy like nash to bring on board? i was dead-set against them going after him last year (and the resultant fields contract - BARF then, BARF now), but it makes more sense now than it did then.

look, simmons certainly doesn't need me defending him, and for all the deadspin fans out there, he makes a perfect & convenient target. but maybe let's not be so quick to dismiss an idea from someone because of our predisposed feelings towards that person, m'kay? and before we propagate misinformation about how simmons feels about the raps & canada, maybe take a minute & actually look into some of what he's written about both first.
                  TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Sit tight, stand pat and don't do anything stupid.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                      Sit tight, stand pat and don't do anything stupid.
                      By the way I love the sig. Great quote, never heard it before. Viva La NonConformists!

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                        don't bother. matt found his strawman.

i get a chuckle out of the geniuses on here who spout off about simmons' lack of bball IQ, or his 'putting down' of canada, the raptors etc...because it only drives home the point that those who believe this don't have a clue what they're talking about.

to qualify...i'm about as anti-boston as there is. i disagree with simmons on quite a bit, and i find his style grating. but what i've found over the years is that he actually does know what he's talking about. while many of his contemporaries are pundit-ing away and trying their damnedest to appease the masses, he's been a fairly objective critic. sure, he sees things through celtic-coloured glasses, and if that's enough to disqualify everything he says, well, that's on you.

as for the article, and the section on the raps - how is what he wrote in any way disrespectful to canada or raptor fans? is something he wrote untrue? please, indulge me in the greatest moments in raptor history. i'll give you 5 minutes. not sure what we'll talk about for the remaining 4 m 45 seconds tho...

as for the trade idea...i'm not sure why it's so bad (if it could be made to work under the CBA, which shouldn't be too difficult...a shuffling of the deck chairs more than anything). nash ain't winning in LA this year, and the likelihood that they'll be able to retool on the fly and be a chip contender before his contract is up is probably at about 3%. if he's going to be on a shitty team, it might as well be on the raptors, who have a clear need for a back-up PG & some legit veteran leadership. if you're in the TANKTANKTANK camp, well, his role can be suitably diminished, and it's not like this is '06 nash anyway. and if you're in the camp that believes they need to start creating a winning culture & push for the playoffs while developing young talent, who better than a guy like nash to bring on board? i was dead-set against them going after him last year (and the resultant fields contract - BARF then, BARF now), but it makes more sense now than it did then.

look, simmons certainly doesn't need me defending him, and for all the deadspin fans out there, he makes a perfect & convenient target. but maybe let's not be so quick to dismiss an idea from someone because of our predisposed feelings towards that person, m'kay? and before we propagate misinformation about how simmons feels about the raps & canada, maybe take a minute & actually look into some of what he's written about both first.
                        lol

I get a chuckle out of geniuses who put their nose in a conversation taking a stab at another and then proceed to tell us all how it really is. It is a forum no? Exchange of ideas and opinions? Isn't that why we're here?

I don't question Simmons' basketball intelligence or writing abilities. I don't claim to be superior to the man in any way, except height and weight. I do question the premise of his proposed trade because it doesn't work.

Comment

Meh. I like Simmons. Funny guy.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            He's not going to be anything like the Nash you want to remember. The wheels are going to fall off this year.
                            Bang on. I am glad BC did not land him last year. He is done. The lakers may not even make the playoffs this year.

Comment

Simmons is great. Best writer out there (by a margin) and most entertaining / relate-able sports personality going today.

This trade is a horrible idea only in that in cements us in mediocrity. However, if for some reason, we catch lightning in a bottle and JV/TR outperform and we are actually competing with what we have now .. .then, hey .. why not?

To me, if you are in the "win now" camp .. doesnt SN (even at his stage) bring more than AG and LK?

If you are in the "go all out for 2014 draft" (i wont use the T word as people are so offended / jaded by it), then this is a completely ridiculous idea ..

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                                Simmons is great. Best writer out there (by a margin) and most entertaining / relate-able sports personality going today.

This trade is a horrible idea only in that in cements us in mediocrity. However, if for some reason, we catch lightning in a bottle and JV/TR outperform and we are actually competing with what we have now .. .then, hey .. why not?

To me, if you are in the "win now" camp .. doesnt SN (even at his stage) bring more than AG and LK?

If you are in the "go all out for 2014 draft" (i wont use the T word as people are so offended / jaded by it), then this is a completely ridiculous idea ..
                                By taking on Steve Nash you continue to keep the noose around your neck with regards to flexibility. I get the impression Ujiri is trying to make moves that increase opportunities and assets. Nash and his contract only tighten the noose after getting a little wiggle room with trading Bargnani.

if there were no other factors to consider, I'd be all over Kleiza/Gray for Nash.

Comment

Working...
                                X