No announcement yet.

Bill Simmons Is Consistently...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're not tanking it's a great idea if Lakers are up for it.

Comment

Nash has a nasty trade kicker (15%).

Trading Kleiza/Gray for Nash adds $3.4M in salary taking Raptors beyond apron ($75.748m) which means the Raptors are limited to taking back 125% + $100K in salary ($9.2125m) therefore the trade Simmons proposed would never work.

And Bill, quit trolling Canada.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
        bill simmons writes for the laughs. Americans will laugh at the article. Have you ever seen him on the show (i can't remember what it's called), he never has anything useful or new to add to any conversation.

He is however right about the highlights.. I can't think of many more than the ones he has listed.
        pti?
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I like Simmons because he has a sense of humour. I would not take anything he writes too seriously.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
            pti?
            I don't think it's PTI.. I've seen him with a panel of people during the Finals(?) and also during the Draft. Every time he said something it was like he'd glance at the camera in a way where he's expecting a studio audience to laugh. He's a funny guy I'll give him that, but you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

That's not to say he's not extremely knowledgeable, but we have to keep an open mind when it comes to statements he makes that aren't based on fact.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              Bill Simmons is a twat.
              Bill Simmons is an entertainer first, a basketball fan second, and a credible source last. While I do not doubt he has a wealth of basketball information, his job is not to inform, it is to generate traffic. And this thread demonstrates that he does his job well.

Comment

I'd say Stoudamire and co. beating Jordan and the Bulls in their prime ranks as a top 5 Canadian basketball moment.
                There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
                  I'd say Stoudamire and co. beating Jordan and the Bulls in their prime ranks as a top 5 Canadian basketball moment.
                  +1 one of the ten losses to perhaps the greatest team ever.

Comment

Bill simmons is consistently retarded

Comment

I'd say he's already prejudiced against Canada...

"Woah!!"
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Never thought of it but why does Battier get to do the interviews with his awkward ass? and as for the thread FUCK Bill Simmons he is funny sometimes though not going to lie, just dont understand why his opinion is wanted and shared in basketball....

Comment

I think you guys missed the point of his column. He was spit-balling a plan to improve the Lakers in 1 year. He main point was to not take on any contracts past next season, while simultaneously shedding all of the contracts. The only albatross contract left? Nash. Who is the only team that would even THINK about taking Nash on? The Raptors. If Nash phoned up MU and said, "Listen, LA isn't winning any time soon, I want to come to Canada. I'll help by providing leadership, come of the bench and provide stability, improving the teams national image, and perhaps I can groom into a management role when I retire (maybe after this year). Why wouldn't the Raps want to at least THINK about that?

...Also the whole column was a summer-time light reading joke...

Comment

I like Bill Simmons, but you don't go for him for things like "analysis", "insight", or "facts", because he never seems to care about the DETIALS. You go to Bill Simmons because he's funny and has ridiculous knowledge of past NBA info which he frequently works into his pieces. Also, because he recognizes our VC FURY, and argues that were justified! Plus, he shits on himself ALMOST as much as everyone else shits on him, which I enjoy.

It's hard to see how a deal would work but I wouldn't be against have Nash as our back up... especially if we aren't giving up much value to get him. Kleiza+Gray+Someone with an non-guaranteed deal next year would probably make the financial work. But yeah, it's probably not going to happen for a number of reasons.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

In case you don't bother to read the article, Simmons is clearly have fun suggesting that they should not take on any salary and just have a revolving door of 10 contracts for former lakers, like Walton, Vuvejic, and Horry... but my favorite parts are

7. Tell Jack Nicholson to stay away for the entire season.

We don't want Jack sitting there and enduring a willfully bad Lakers team. It might kill him. You know, assuming he's still alive and they haven't been propping up his body for home games like he's Bernie Lomax.

Initially, I was thinking that Jack should turn over his 2013-14 tickets to this guy …

… just to bang home to everyone that we're having the most depressing Lakers season ever. But clearly, there's a better answer. You know who should be sitting in Jack's seat all year? Phil Jackson. With one of those smug half-smiles on his face that says "Can you believe this shit?" crossed with "Can you believe my idiot brother-in-law didn't hire me back?" And what could be better than that the crowd chats "PHIL! PHIL! PHIL!" 10 times a game? Jack, you're giving Phil your seat. See you in October 2014.

8. Keep Mike D'Antoni for the entire year.

When I was going over my tentative "Save the Lakers" plan last night with my friend Lewis (a Lakers nut who's onboard with everything you just read), I jokingly asked him, "OK, what would you do with D'Antoni?"

"Are you kidding?" Lewis yelped. "YOU KEEP HIM! YOU KEEP HIM THE WHOLE SEASON! WE WANT THE WORST COACH POSSIBLE!!!!! WHY WOULD YOU EVER FIRE D'ANTONI!"

(Ladies and gentlemen, the Mike D'Antoni era!)
                              At the end of the article he points out that the lakers aren't going to take any of his suggestions.

It's one of those crazy articles that you know is ridiculous, but leaves you thinking "It just might work!" but of course it won't.
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Add Steve Brotherston to the list. He also thinks the Raptors should pursue Nash.

The Raptors need a veteran presence and Nash could help some of their young stars develop their leadership attributes. While Nash could fill a number of holes in the Raptors roster, the Lakers are not in a position to be demanding a lot back.
                                http://probballreport.com/will-laker...b_source=pubv1

Worst idea I've ever heard.

Comment

Working...
                                X