Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billups a Hall of Famer?

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=427475

Chauncey Billups back with the Detroit Pistons.

I've actually heard him mentioned as a "future hall of famer" more than once in the last month.

I always thought that his new coach Maurice Cheeks is a good comparison: long career, key player on a championship team and several other contenders, a few marginal seasons with other teams. Cheeks played in 4 ASGs, Billups 5.

Both solid picks for the Hall of Pretty Good.

Billups was one of the most efficient point guards in NBA history. He was a great defender who shot three-pointers very well and stayed within his game throughout his career. His career Player Efficiency Rating of 19.0 is higher than Cheeks (or Hall of Famer Joe Dumars) ever posted in a single season.

There are only two eligible players who have won Finals MVP and not made the Hall of Fame: Jo Jo White, whose exclusion is nonsensical, and Cedric Maxwell. Billups probably will be the third because it took him so long to find his role in the NBA.

Had he won the 2005-06 NBA MVP, as John Hollinger and several other statistical-minded writers have argued he should have, he would be a lock to make the Hall of Fame. The basketball statistics crowd has much less pull than the baseball crowd, though.

Thoughts?
    http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs11/i/20...reetballer.jpg

Think he'll eventually make it. Not sure if he will the first time he's on the ballot. He was the best player on a championship team and one of the top PGs of his generation though, so you'd think he's gotta be worthy.

And don't forget, it's not like they had one good year. They were a top 2-3 team in the East for what...6 or 7 years? 6 straight eastern conference finals appearances. In there a championship followed by a repeat finals appearance.

Comment

He will make it. In a time span of 10 years, my guess.
      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

I..don't..know. I mean he could of retired two years ago. He could retire two years from now. I mean he's kind of been forgotten about. I'm leaning towards..no.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

It'll be close. I say no.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

How can you say no!? he's a sure fire HOFer
            If you win a championship as the main guy on the team, you better fucking make the HOF

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              How can you say no!? he's a sure fire HOFer
              If you win a championship as the main guy on the team, you better fucking make the HOF
              Championships is not the biggest factor
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                Championships is not the biggest factor
                Yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freaking Yao ming made it into the HOF and his career wasn't even all that great

Comment

freaking Yao ming made it into the HOF and his career wasn't even all that great
                  Ummmm, what?

Kind of different circumstances here, bud.
                  http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs11/i/20...reetballer.jpg

Comment

Ming didn't win anything though?

Comment

5 time all star
                      finals mvp
                      nba champion
                      All nba second time
                      2x all nba third team
                      2x all defensive second team

He's a HOFer no question about it

Comment

I think the HOF is a bit of a joke.. but if guys like Rodman and Worthy can make it then Billups should make it. Billups career kind of derailed near the end and it took a long time for him to become good, but when he was good he was one of the best in the league.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Ming didn't win anything though?
                          Exactly. Billups did, therefore he should have an even better chance of making it.

Comment

I think the best comparable for Billups is Dennis Johnson. Both won a finals MVP. DJ had a better cast around him so has more championships, but he only made the all-star 5 times too. Was way better defensively but if DJ can make it so should CB.

Comment

Exactly. Billups did, therefore he should have an even better chance of making it.
                              Well LBF said championships don't matter, and you said it did, but then cited Yao Ming as an example - just kind of confusing.

Comment

Working...
                              X