Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeMar's 3 pt shot (and what it means for the Raptors)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seiz it seems like your the guy who his all talk. Demar has improved his passing the assist total reflects thats. First year .7 assists a game last year 2.5 assists a game. He does have to get better defensively but I have seen some improvement in his defensive rotations and his overall defensive IQ. Wade was 21-22 when he entered the NBA not 19 like DD. Plus Wade makes 17 million a year DD makes 9 million a year. So overall DD could be considered a better value then Wade when you add in he's 8-9 years younger and is half price.

Comment

Why is everyone is so fixated on derozans three point shooting?! his game is based on ATTACKING THE RIM & GETTING TO THE LINE

he has showed steady growth and significant improvment in that area last year. and hes a solid free throw shooter to boot. everyones so quick to write him off for his slightly below average 3 point game and not enough credit for his drive, which i would rather have him do 90% of the time. Play to your strengths, improve on ur weaknessess, but dont fixate on them.

What we should be keeping an eye on his handles and defense. Those are fair targets to pick at of his game. anyone who shits themselves over his 3 point shooting needs to be reminded hes still only 23, a workhorse, and wants to play in our city full of haters.

Comment

Speaking for myself, its not just that he doesn't have a 3pt shot. Its the lack of overall game, lack of a 'special skill' or being a 'jack of all trades', that his greatest strength is the most inefficient shot in basketball. While him improving his 3pt shot would be great, he has, in my opinion, alot more to improve on than just that.
        Craiger speaks some truth here but is not totally correct. DD is elite at getting the free throw line and in that he has an elite post up game for a 2 guard. He's top 10 in the league and to me that makes you elite in the NBA. Half truths go along way in argueing. I'm happy where DD is and would like to see him improve the next bit to show that he is an all around NBA performer.
        NBA management must also believe in DD as last year he was chosen to practise with best NBA players in the world. Olympic management wanted to challenge the US olympic team in practise so they brought in the best young talent in the NBA to play against the big boys. Sorry guys on this board you guys are a step below the US olympic basketball federation.

Comment

jpisadummy wrote: View Post
          Why is everyone is so fixated on derozans three point shooting?! his game is based on ATTACKING THE RIM & GETTING TO THE LINE

he has showed steady growth and significant improvment in that area last year. and hes a solid free throw shooter to boot. everyones so quick to write him off for his slightly below average 3 point game and not enough credit for his drive, which i would rather have him do 90% of the time. Play to your strengths, improve on ur weaknessess, but dont fixate on them.

What we should be keeping an eye on his handles and defense. Those are fair targets to pick at of his game. anyone who shits themselves over his 3 point shooting needs to be reminded hes still only 23, a workhorse, and wants to play in our city full of haters.
          Speaking as one of the "haters", my concerns over DeRozan's game wouldn't be so bad in a vacuum, but the concerns get magnified because of two major factors:
          - his salary, especially in relation to the total team salary
          - the way his skills mesh with the skills brought to the table by the rest of the starting unit; the starting 5 lacks a serious 3pt threat and I think he is the most tradeable/replaceable out of DeRozan/Gay/Lowry.

If the makeup of the starting unit was significantly different, I think DeRozan would fit better and his weaknesses wouldn't be so magnified (kinda sounds familiar to how people used to talk about Bargnani). It's much easier to trade DeRozan and replace him with a SG who brings '3 and D', than it would be to totally revamp the rest of the lineup around DeRozan. All the positives about DeRozan are exactly what I think would make him an attractive player to other teams. Between DeRozan and Gay, I think the Raptors would have a much easier time trading DeRozan (ie: age, talent, upside, salary) and would probably get as much/more for him in trade, hence my preference for trading him.

I don't "hate" DeRozan, I actually quite like him as a person and think he's been a fantastic Raptor. I just think he's the Raptors' best trade chip and most easily replaceable starting wing.

Comment

DeMar will add it to his game next season no problem I just dont want him chucking them like crazy as he did in his 3rd season. Leave the guy focusing on his Beast moves in the post and slashing getting to the line. Nick Nurse hopefully gets DeMAr to move better off the ball he should be running backdoor more often

Comment

Frankthetank wrote: View Post
              Seiz it seems like your the guy who his all talk. Demar has improved his passing the assist total reflects thats. First year .7 assists a game last year 2.5 assists a game. He does have to get better defensively but I have seen some improvement in his defensive rotations and his overall defensive IQ. Wade was 21-22 when he entered the NBA not 19 like DD. Plus Wade makes 17 million a year DD makes 9 million a year. So overall DD could be considered a better value then Wade when you add in he's 8-9 years younger and is half price.
              I don't remember saying he did not improve on his passing...though 2.5 assists per game is nothing to be proud about in regards to playmaking. I don't even see why you would compare Wade to DeMar, as Wade possessed more skills at 23 (his 2nd year in the league) evidenced by his 24 ppg 5.7 Rpg 6.8ast 1.1 Bpg and 1.6 spg.
              Anyways... based on what I have seen the past couple of years and the fact that DeMar will be entering his 5th season I can't really get on the whole "DeMar Will improve his 3pt shooting" train. I'll just wait and see what happens this coming season. I have ZERO expectations for him this season, so if he does improve that will be awesome, if he doesn't it's not something that will shock me. The fact is, if DeMar is the player we want him to be, he has A LOT to improve on.

Comment

I think derozan will improve his 3 point shot. he did that with his midrange last season. but i don't want him to be a ray allen. an outside shot of a kobe or lebron would be fine.

I would rather have him improve his ball handling. he turns the ball over during crucial situations ones he gets pressured and double teamed. and maybe increase his strength so he could guard 3s if they go small ball (amir/jonas, gay/fields, gay/demar, demar/ross, lowry).

still have high hopes for him, but he's contract just sucks (thanks a lot bc).

Comment

Pretty interesting that for a player whose game is "ATTACKING THE RIM & GETTING TO THE LINE" consistently shoots a lot more 16-23 footers than attempts at the rim, year after year. He does get to the line a lot and that probably offsets some of the disparity, but this is all besides the point. The real point is nobody wants him to attack the rim less; I'm assuming they just want him to take a step back on those long range jumpers or attack the rim instead of settling for a long two. Ironically, a better three point shot would allow him to attack the basket more often on closeouts as well.

Comment

How do these "Demar's 3 point shooting" threads keep happening?
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
                      Pretty interesting that for a player whose game is "ATTACKING THE RIM & GETTING TO THE LINE" consistently shoots a lot more 16-23 footers than attempts at the rim, year after year. He does get to the line a lot and that probably offsets some of the disparity, but this is all besides the point. The real point is nobody wants him to attack the rim less; I'm assuming they just want him to take a step back on those long range jumpers or attack the rim instead of settling for a long two. Ironically, a better three point shot would allow him to attack the basket more often on closeouts as well.
                      No you are 100% wrong.

If you go to the free throw line and get fouled it doesn't count as a field goal attempt at all (unless you convert the shot for an And 1)

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        I don't know, but like someone else already said, it's the same arguments, by the same people, OVER and OVER and OVER. BC's gone, AB's gone, DD now the incessant target. I don't think it's happening any time soon, and hope not, but who's next if DD is traded? It's a good thing players are coached not to pay attention to these places, or nobody would want to play in Toronto.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                          I don't know, but like someone else already said, it's the same arguments, by the same people, OVER and OVER and OVER. BC's gone, AB's gone, DD now the incessant target. I don't think it's happening any time soon, and hope not, but who's next if DD is traded? It's a good thing players are coached not to pay attention to these places, or nobody would want to play in Toronto.
                          Notice I've said nothing? lol I've said my peace/piece on DD.

I don't think anyone becomes the target. All the one-dimensional inefficient volume shooters are gone.

But if I had to pick one I'd say Gay or Fields.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            Just a guess, but probably because he's the starting shooting guard on a team that, overall, can't hit the broad side of a barn from outside of 20 feet?

I don't think it's time to give up on him yet (I'd still rather see Gay traded than Derozan), but it's certainly a concern.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                              It's almost like you think anybody that thinks overly optimistic projections are poor assumptions to base future decisions on are perpetually unhappy and irrational, as if the two have any logical connection at all. I say "almost" because I want to give you more credit than that.

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
                                It's almost like you think anybody that thinks overly optimistic projections are poor assumptions to base future decisions on are perpetually unhappy and irrational, as if the two have any logical connection at all. I say "almost" because I want to give you more credit than that.
                                Thanks for the credit,,,, I guess,,,,, but if you read again, my point was not about criticizing the attitude of people who don't buy into a more optimistic projection (we all have an opinion), but about "incessantly" making the same points over and over and over,,,, in response to the post that questioned why these threads keep popping up, over and over again. Everyone has an opinion, and all the right in the world to express it. I just don't understand the desire to make the point 150 times.

Comment

Working...
                                X