• Show
Clear All

• Portland/Toronto

To Portland:

Amir, Ross, Klieza, Raptors 2014 Pick, Raps 2016 pick, Knicks 2016 pick

To Toronto:

Aldridge

Reasons :

Portland - there has been rumblings that Aldridge wants out. Portland has a young team, and would add to there young core with a decent PF, a developing SG, and a bunch draft picks

Toronto - We are one Aldridge away from being a contender in the East. With Rudy, Aldridge, JV, DeMAr and Lowry, we have a stellar starting 5. This team could stay together for another 5-7 years with Rudy and LaMarcus, Lowry being 28 - 27.

JV/Gray/Camby
    Aldridge/Psycho T/Novak
    Gay/Fields/Acy
    DeMar/Fields/???
    Lowry/????/Buycks

In 2014 we would have the Mid level, and Bi-annual. With this line up I can see good vets wanting to play for the minimum here as well. We would still have two 2nd rounders in 2014 and 2016
    Last edited by saints91; Sun Jul 14, 2013, 02:22 PM.

Become pick-less and cap-less?

This is a 'going all in' type trade, and I still dont think we would be good enough to make it out of the 2nd round.
    I would prefer to draft next year and have 2 first round picks in 2016.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

This is win now strategy and usually you don't go for a win now strategy unless you have an slight chance at a championship. Example being the Knicks, Brooklyn, and Warriors. Even if we had Aldridge, we are still not even remotely a championship caliber team especially with more stacked teams than us. We would at most make it to the Eastern Conference Finals and even that is a pretty big stretch!

Comment

This would be a really fun Raptors team. We would probably win every first quarter we played with these starters...and then give up the lead as soon as the bench had to come in.

Concerns:
        1. If Aldridge (signed through 2015) decides to leave, and Lowry isn't resigned we would be awful in 2016 with no picks. It would take years to come back from that.
        2. Our depth is still quite bad. Going All-In works best when you have the solid bench to back up giving up all your draft picks. We would have a real issue improving on any holes that develop (such as back-up Center, PG)

Comment

I'm not sure our bench would be that bad. In 2014, say you signed a defensive shooting guard for the MLE and started him. You use the bi-annual on a veteran pg.

You then could start the defensive shooting guard as SA and OKC does/did. You now have DeMar and Fields coming off the bench with psycho T, Kovak, and and the veteran PG.

With JV progressing the way he is you have probably one of the best front courts. Lowry and the Tony Allen type would anchor the back court.

This would be the best Raptor team ever and create a winning culture. Resigning every one would be crucial, and attracting veterans to accept less money to play for us.

In all honesty, I just like that no one is insulting the trade package for the 20-10 All-star PF

Comment

I'd do it. Easily. Add a shooter or trade DeMar for a shooter or develop Ross, and that team is a contender.

However, i think all "Aldridge / Love / Horford etc for picks" ideas are moot right now until we hear that teams are actually shopping those guys and looking for picks. I mean, Aldridge isn't old. He'll be good until he's 35, he should age well. If they add a center one of these years or Leonard develops, they'll contend.

Comment

I'm honestly not sure how big I am on the idea. Aldridge seems to operate in the same space that JV does. I'm not saying it can't work...but despite the obvious talent, if we're fishing for ideal pairs, I'm not sure that's one. Love might demand touches, but a decent amount are bound to come from the outside, and that would obviously fit great with JV.

Horford, apart from Love, is a PF I really want to put next to JV. Horford definitely also would operate in similar spaces as JV (or Aldridge), but he's not an offensive minded player. If he's able to stay happy "sharing" the ball with Joe Johnson and co., then I think he can be effective in any situation. I also think Horford is a better passer, making him fit better in a team concept. And I think he's the best defensively and in terms of intangibles of the bunch. If they are building a defensive team, a trio of JV, Amir and Horford (if Amir were still around) would be amazing, and ridiculously efficient offensively.

Oh, the all-important edit: Horford would surely be the cheapest asset to acquire out of Horford, Love and Aldridge. Therefore getting him would gut the team less, and probably leave them in a better position than they'd be in after acquiring one of the other guys.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Jul 14, 2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

All good options! But I think all agree an talented PF would make this team legit in the east. I agree Aldridge would come at a high cost and perhaps the is a cheaper option out there. Although I'm willing to mortgage some of the future to make this team a winner for 5-7 straight years.

Once you have those assets they still can be moved at a later date for basically the same return.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                  All good options! But I think all agree an talented PF would make this team legit in the east. I agree Aldridge would come at a high cost and perhaps the is a cheaper option out there. Although I'm willing to mortgage some of the future to make this team a winner for 5-7 straight years.

Once you have those assets they still can be moved at a later date for basically the same return.
                  My thought is actually Horford is also the best fit. It'll be hard keeping Aldridge and JV happy on the court at the same time, especially if Gay is out there needing some touches.

Horford doesn't need to score a lot though, but will always score when he needs to. And he's the best defensive player of the bunch, and perhaps more importantly, best leader, including being the vocal leader on D for Atlanta. Toronto needs that presence badly...On the court, and in the locker room.

Comment

In the end, all 3 are young all stars on good contracts, and of course they'd make this team much better, but guys like that are rarely available for parts. So it's kind of moot discuss right now. Ujiri can't just call Atlanta and say "Hi, Lowry + Ross + Amir + 3 picks, more than fair value, give me Horford". Teams don't trade young all stars for role players, unless there's something wrong like a tax issue or the guy is going to leave in a year.

And look, Cleveland was shopping for a star big man and offering their no.1 pick + IIRC another pick, and there weren't any takers. So I guess it's safe to assume that none of the guys mentioned are for sale right now, unless you offer another legit blue chip piece in return.

Comment

This is a move that makes us at best 5th in the East, while also mortgaging our future. Aldridge and Gay in all likelihood will be gone by 2015, leaving us without our pick (which would likely be in the lottery) in 2016. Additionally it costs us a 2014 prospect.

I'd rather just play out this season and extend Lowry for cheap right now if possible, and maybe snag a playoff spot. Head into the 2014 draft with a mid-high teens pick and use Gay/Lowry to move up or down or maybe use the pick to snag another pseudo-star or in a package for a star.

Comment

Working...
                      X