Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: Should Tyler Hansbrough start?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Should Tyler Hansbrough start?

    1.) His per 36 last season

    15 points would expect as much as 18 here as he had no role in the Indiana attack

    10 rebounds (would likely stay the same)

    8 FTAs a game would put the opposing team in a lot of foul trouble considering Jonas is quite good as drawing fouls as well.

    2.) Amir would still play starters minutes of between 28 - 35 a game between PF and C, and he plays just as well off the bench as he does as a starter.

    3.) Better to let him put the hurt on the other teams starters instead of their bench.

    4.) I don't think he can play the 5 effectively which means if he is the backup 4 his minutes would likely shrink to 15 - 20.

    5.) If he gets in foul trouble you can always go to Amir. If Amir gets into foul trouble starting, Jonas has to play extended minutes or the raptors have to go small.

    I'm not married to this theory yet I am just wondering if anyone else sees value in going this direction?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    also before anyone freaks out about me saying 18, I see that as the best he could do based on hitting 75% of the 8 free throw attempts, getting put backs off offensive rebounds, and a couple of 10 to 15 footers a game.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Putting aside trying to project production....

    -I very much like the idea of Tyler bringing his energy off the bench

    -Similar to how you say Amir would still play starter's minutes, there's nothing keeping him from doing the same

    -I like Amir starting defensively next to Jonas. Hansbrough's ok defensively, but Amir/JV provides a longer, more athletic starting frontcourt that should help establish the defensive tone Casey wants.

    -I actually like the idea of Tyler's limited offense off the bench. He rebounds hard on the offensive end (good for if/when things get sloppy). He plays with energy which will catch some bench bigs sleeping. Should also be some opportunity for touches on the 2nd unit, since Gay, DeMar, Lowry and JV will eat up all the touches on the starter's unit. He doesn't need a lot of touches, but he does have some post moves to put to use....And that actually works for both guys, since Amir works best off the ball and is thus a great fit on the first unit.

    *As for production (just for fun). I think regardless of first/second unit, they could maybe get something like 11-13 pts and about 6 boards from Hansbrough in 25 mpg.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Jul 15th, 2013 at 07:57 PM.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i think the best place is bench for him. he comes in for either jonas or amir and the team adapts to it. also everything that mr.t is good at so is amir so it's kind of a wash. i would rather reward amir for his hard work and sacrifice then just hand his job to someone else. of course it will all come down to earninig it in the end.


    i am actually really excited to see amirs' 18 footer.
    For The Win

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like his response in his interview, paraphrasing:

    No expectations.
    Going to go all out in training camp.
    What happens happens.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    His offense is pretty bad and his defense is only passable in a vacuum. The value of Hansbrough is that he can completely shift the flow of a game on any given night with his energy. Those type of players are made for off the bench.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    His offense is pretty bad and his defense is only passable in a vacuum. The value of Hansbrough is that he can completely shift the flow of a game on any given night with his energy. Those type of players are made for off the bench.
    Bingo

    Hansbrough is the type of guy where you basically throw ANALYTICS out the window because there's no way to measure (yet!) being a pest and getting under players' skin.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Bingo

    Hansbrough is the type of guy where you basically throw ANALYTICS out the window because there's no way to measure (yet!) being a pest and getting under players' skin.
    Yet he does have some nice advanced stats:

    WP48 .13

    PPP 1.40

    FTA/48 10.5 (more than double average PF)
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    he is crazy and the raps need that.
    i can't wait for him to bully bargnani when the raps play em.

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Bingo

    Hansbrough is the type of guy where you basically throw ANALYTICS out the window because there's no way to measure (yet!) being a pest and getting under players' skin.
    Protocall
    https://www.youtube.com/user/PTC204
    http://www.ptc204.com

    Uploaded a new track: Please like or comment on it if you dig it! Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAT4s_LO-rc

    The best day of 2013 was the day I found out Andrea Bargnani got traded.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Are there any other NC fans here? Tyler can play. This is a great signing and he will become a super raptor. Guy spills blood for the colours he wears. If he were a crip there wouldn't be bloods anymore.

    Wiki him and look at his college numbers, you don't score like that without being able to put the ball in the hoop.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    Are there any other NC fans here? Tyler can play. This is a great signing and he will become a super raptor. Guy spills blood for the colours he wears. If he were a crip there wouldn't be bloods anymore.

    Wiki him and look at his college numbers, you don't score like that without being able to put the ball in the hoop.
    I think he is somewhat underrated.

    However, there is a significant jump in athleticism and size from college to the NBA. I think that has hurt him relative to his college numbers.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes! I am a UNC grad and fan of UNC men's basketball and women's soccer. (The Lady Tar Heels are once again defending NCAA champs). If Tyler starts, you will be amazed at how many ways--big and little--he influences the game. He will be a positive force on the court because he never gives up. There is a reason he is still the ACC all-time scoring leader and won a national championship. Tyler is one reason among many that the Pacers went to the Eastern Conference Finals last season.

    Based on past numbers, Hansbrough could average 16 points and 8 rebounds as a starter. Last season with the Pacers, he had to improve his rebounding, which he did. Now he has to improve his jump shot, which he mentioned in an interview. At UNC, he shot from close to the chest, but now shoots from over his head on the jumper, so it still needs more work, and more importantly, the confidence to shoot it. Also, he can run the fast break. For the last two years I watched him run down the floor on the break, only to fail to have the ball passed to him by the Pacers' point guards. I bet Kyle Lowry will learn to do that in the first month.

    Because he is so aggressive under the basket, expect him to get blocked about once per game. Also, he is a streak shooter, so the more touches he gets, the more efficient he becomes. It's really important for the guards to get him the ball in rhythm.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote caccia wrote: View Post
    Yes! I am a UNC grad and fan of UNC men's basketball and women's soccer. (The Lady Tar Heels are once again defending NCAA champs). If Tyler starts, you will be amazed at how many ways--big and little--he influences the game. He will be a positive force on the court because he never gives up. There is a reason he is still the ACC all-time scoring leader and won a national championship. Tyler is one reason among many that the Pacers went to the Eastern Conference Finals last season.

    Based on past numbers, Hansbrough could average 16 points and 8 rebounds as a starter. Last season with the Pacers, he had to improve his rebounding, which he did. Now he has to improve his jump shot, which he mentioned in an interview. At UNC, he shot from close to the chest, but now shoots from over his head on the jumper, so it still needs more work, and more importantly, the confidence to shoot it. Also, he can run the fast break. For the last two years I watched him run down the floor on the break, only to fail to have the ball passed to him by the Pacers' point guards. I bet Kyle Lowry will learn to do that in the first month.

    Because he is so aggressive under the basket, expect him to get blocked about once per game. Also, he is a streak shooter, so the more touches he gets, the more efficient he becomes. It's really important for the guards to get him the ball in rhythm.
    Thanks for the insight Caccia! Appreciate the insider information. Great first post.
    Welcome to the Board!

    This is a great point about TH being the ACC all-time leading scorer. He certainly knows how to put the ball in the hoop; he's just learned that in order to be truely effective in this league, teams aren't going to look to him to score as a 1st or 2nd option like his was at UNC.
    In Masai we Trust.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love Amir too much to not let him start. He Deserves it 100%, Amir has earned it so Tyler has to earn it too. D Case is not going to pull amir from the starting lineup unless Psycho T goes off and starting putting up monster numbers off the bench.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I love Amir too much to not let him start. He Deserves it 100%, Amir has earned it so Tyler has to earn it too. D Case is not going to pull amir from the starting lineup unless Psycho T goes off and starting putting up monster numbers off the bench.
    Yup. Part of managing a team is managing the psyche of these guys. The Raps warrior that Amir has been has well earned his shot over a Hansbrough type newcomer. No way that should happen. without clear evidence it's better.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    3rd big. With how aggressive he plays, he might be better in just short stints.

    However, this team has always had problems starting games, 1st quarters are brutal to watch. Start him if you really want to, but only for a good spurt... still give the majority of the minutes to Amir.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  17. #17
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I say use Amir for backup because he is more naturally inclined to play center (although he is still clearly a 4). So (and please don't take this as gospel it's a god damn example people, and I know how you love to see examples and start shitting on them as though they are stated fact) If Taylor and JV start, Amir can come in at the 6 minute mark play with JV until JV needs a breather then Taylor can come back out and Amir can slide to the 5. It's the versatility of Amir that makes him the better backup. Hansbrough is a straight up 4.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    3rd big. With how aggressive he plays, he might be better in just short stints.

    However, this team has always had problems starting games, 1st quarters are brutal to watch. Start him if you really want to, but only for a good spurt... still give the majority of the minutes to Amir.
    Agree with this. Make the other team adjust to the aggressiveness of the Raptors. Bring the aggressiveness early on and dictate the tempo. Let TH work the defense while the others dictate the offense.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    there are 96 minutes available in the big rotation.

    JV - 36
    Amir - 30
    Hans - 30

    should be about right give or take.

  20. #20
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    also consider our starting unit. Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, are all offensive players, JV is two way, and Amir has a more developed offensive game than Pyscho Killer Quest Que Ce. Fa fa fa fa fa far better. run run run run run run run awwwwaaayyyy. Sorry I got side tracked. Point being give your second unit an offensive burst. Also if Taylor don't call me Hansen or you'll regret Hansbrough, is so good at drawing fouls, in fact something he is elite at, don't we want him getting the other teams starters in foul trouble. So if Taylor How am I funny? Funny how? What am I clown do I amuse you? Hansbrough I ughh...I actually don't have another point here I just wanted to use that nick name.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •