Should Tyler Hansbrough start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I love Amir too much to not let him start. He Deserves it 100%, Amir has earned it so Tyler has to earn it too. D Case is not going to pull amir from the starting lineup unless Psycho T goes off and starting putting up monster numbers off the bench.
    Yup. Part of managing a team is managing the psyche of these guys. The Raps warrior that Amir has been has well earned his shot over a Hansbrough type newcomer. No way that should happen. without clear evidence it's better.

Comment

He wants to start

This guy wants to start. Wants to start like a stray dog wants to find scraps of food. Wants to start like a sunflower wants rays of sunshine. Wants to start like a drowning man wants gasps of air. Wants to start like … ah, never mind, you get the idea.
      A bit overdone with the metaphors but.........

Of course he wont say it in today's interview. I think a major reason he is here that he either sees a good opportunity to start or the team has at least given him some assurance that he could get a good shot at it....or both. If his general play attitude is anything to go by, count on him to be clawing and scratching in practice to get the starting spot. This is his chance to get into the next echelon of players and money as well.

This piece speaks to it.....

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/playe...ler-hansbrough

Comment

I reject any argument outright that says a player "deserves" to start. That is thinking with your heart instead of trying to win basketball games. Amir Johnson deserves to start if playing him as a starter is more beneficial to the team, not because he is a super nice guy who tries really hard.
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Hansbrough stated his case for starting during a six-game stretch in March, when he filled in for West, who had a strained back. He had four double-doubles in that run, and was within two rebounds of a fifth. Overall he started eight games during the season and averaged 14.75 points and 10.1 rebounds – production that would make him a well-paid starter in a lot of places.
          hmmm
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
            Hansbrough stated his case for starting during a six-game stretch in March, when he filled in for West, who had a strained back. He had four double-doubles in that run, and was within two rebounds of a fifth. Overall he started eight games during the season and averaged 14.75 points and 10.1 rebounds – production that would make him a well-paid starter in a lot of places.
            hmmm
            Looked up his game logs. Guess how many minutes he averaged during that span? 27.2

He doesn't have to start. But if we give him around 30 minutes a game, like in your projected rotation above, I think that's where we'll get the most production out of him.
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
              3rd big. With how aggressive he plays, he might be better in just short stints.

However, this team has always had problems starting games, 1st quarters are brutal to watch. Start him if you really want to, but only for a good spurt... still give the majority of the minutes to Amir.
              Agree with this. Make the other team adjust to the aggressiveness of the Raptors. Bring the aggressiveness early on and dictate the tempo. Let TH work the defense while the others dictate the offense.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                Yup. Part of managing a team is managing the psyche of these guys. The Raps warrior that Amir has been has well earned his shot over a Hansbrough type newcomer. No way that should happen. without clear evidence it's better.
                thead wrote: View Post
                I reject any argument outright that says a player "deserves" to start. That is thinking with your heart instead of trying to win basketball games. Amir Johnson deserves to start if playing him as a starter is more beneficial to the team, not because he is a super nice guy who tries really hard.
                As highlighted in bold, there's a little more than "he deserves it" to the point, just as in what's bolded in your statement, but I guess I have to say this a little less gentle then. Just who the fk do you think Psycho T is, and what even single skill does he bring over Amir, that he should be anointed starter over Amir, without earning it, you know, on the court? Not because Amir is a "nice guy", but because he is currently better in every single aspect of the game. It's Hansbrough we got, not David West.

Comment

People are a lot more aggressive lately with their posts. I think it's time for people to calm down and debate in a civilized manner. Respect your fellow fan, and debate with intelligence not vulgarities. Raptors Republic needs to clean it up a bit.

Comment

Amir Johnson is probably Dwane Casey's favourite player. Add the fact that Amir is probably the Raptors best low post defender. Chances of Hansbrough starting for this team is pretty much close to zero.

I'm a huge fan of Hansbrough though. Been a fan since his UNC days. I believe he's much better suited as a 6th man off the bench.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                      People are a lot more aggressive lately with their posts. I think it's time for people to calm down and debate in a civilized manner. Respect your fellow fan, and debate with intelligence not vulgarities. Raptors Republic needs to clean it up a bit.
                      Its the recent influx of dummies we've had. Happens every year no biggie

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                        Not because Amir is a "nice guy", but because he is currently better in every single aspect of the game. It's Hansbrough we got, not David West.
                        He isn't currently better than him in every single aspect of the game.

As for anointing a starter, that's what just about every single member of the republic has already done. Hence I'm raising the question about if Hansbrough should maybe have a say in that. Some people say Amir deserves it. I say I don't care. If Amir starting helps us win more, great, do it. If starting Hansbrough helps us win more games, great! When it comes to a starting lineup though, I only care about results. I don't care if someone is a nice guy, or worked hard for it, or deserves it. If Amir kicks Hansbroughs ass in training camp so be it. If anything I'm attempting to un-anoint the already assumed to be starter

PER 36

Hansbrough 16.3 = Win
                        Johnson 11.8

Personal Fouls

Hansbrough 4.0 = Win
                        Johnson 5.5

Turnovers

Hansbrough 1.8
                        Amir 1.7 = win (barely)

Blocks

Hansbrough 0.4
                        Amir 2.0 = win

Steals = TIE

Assists

Hansbrough 1.0
                        Amir 1.5 = win

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                          Looked up his game logs. Guess how many minutes he averaged during that span? 27.2

He doesn't have to start. But if we give him around 30 minutes a game, like in your projected rotation above, I think that's where we'll get the most production out of him.
                          could be right. probably means Novak backs up the 3 a bit more or plays very limited minutes.

Comment

Its the recent influx of dummies we've had. Happens every year no biggie

More than usual! Although I enjoy reading 99% P00ka's posts. So, I'm not singling him out. In recent weeks I've just seen more bashing than usual.

I agree Amir, has earned the starting spot, I think he is an underrated player and he has really upped his game the last few years. Especially after the Davis trade. Although, If Tyler out plays him in training camp T should be starting. In all honesty I hope this happens, $3M PF that outplays Amir is fine by me!
                            Last edited by saints91; Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Pooka we are essentially saying pretty damn close to the same thing. About earning it over deserving it. I was more responding to the sentiment that Amir Johnson works hard and deserves it that permeates a lot of the discussions and that was raised by a couple people in this thread about him working hard, and loyalty etc...

Comment

Another fun stat.

Amir has attempted 688 free throws in 8 seasons
                                Hansbrough has attempted 944 free throws in 4 seasons (1 of which he was injured for most of)

I think there is a lot of value to getting the Wests, Hibberts, Horfords, and Millsaps of the world into early foul trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X