No announcement yet.

Tim Leiweke: "we may ultimately have to, excuse my English, suck to be good"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still say we are one all-star/ borderline allstar PF away from being a contender. We have the assets, go get one. I think we were a 8th seed last year, had we traded for Rudy prior to the start of last season. We are probably an 7-6th seed now, and with one more piece, we are top 4. With the youth this team has, we can be relevant (1-4 in the East) for 5-10 years

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
      I still say we are one all-star/ borderline allstar PF away from being a contender. We have the assets, go get one. I think we were a 8th seed last year, had we traded for Rudy prior to the start of last season. We are probably an 7-6th seed now, and with one more piece, we are top 4. With the youth this team has, we can be relevant (1-4 in the East) for 5-10 years
      But how do you go from division champion, to NBA champion? Because once we achieved finishing 3rd or 4th year in year out, it won't be enough. Right now in the NBA, maybe 2 or 3 teams have a shot at the title, and without injury, Miami has probably a better than 60% chance of winning. Which is to say, you can be so close, yet so far in this league.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I'm not saying it's going to be this year or next, but this team is young and can still get better. Even if they don't win a championship, it's still better to be a fan of a team that is mentioned in the race. If they had a finals appearance or constantly played in the Conference Finals it still creates an identity of winning and being competitive. To constantly rebuild, and putting your faith in drafting a franchise player could be devastating for this franchise. I'm sick of rebuilding. We have good players, and assets, let's make a run.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          After reading that article, Casey has a clean slate with me.

Sounds like he is a good soldier and giving another example of solid character not taking the hatchet to Colangelo - especially when he probably has just cause/reason.

I'm all for putting defense first but hopefully the offense consists more of, "DeMar, your turn" & "Rudy, your up."
          can I please assume you meant to say "than"?

Comment

The best we can ever hope for is a second round exit. Lebron isn't going to retire any time soon.

Comment

After reading that article, Casey has a clean slate with me.

Sounds like he is a good soldier and giving another example of solid character not taking the hatchet to Colangelo - especially when he probably has just cause/reason.

I'm all for putting defense first but hopefully the offense consists more of, "DeMar, your turn" & "Rudy, your up."
              thats why the hired nick nurse
              ya dun noe

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                or just be a negative fan who views the entire team as scrubs
                Can you blame him? The team is scrubs..I realize you're a die hard. But, look at it from a casual POV.

You've got Gay

Posssibly, Ross and Derozan for their participation in the dunk contest.

Everybody else is no name(including Valanciunas)
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

so does this mean we are tanking this year for sure ?
                  ya dun noe

Comment

But Parker, Gordon, Randle, Harrison 1, Harrison 2, Exum, Selden, Smart, Exum, Hairston, and Micic, to name a few, are all exciting prospects as well.

#MultiplePicks
                    The first 4 you named plus wiggins and smart are the elite 6. Gordon is Griffin 2.0 I'd go 0-82 for the guy

Comment

TL - "Hi I'm Tim Leiweke, and these are my balls." *unzips his fly, takes out his testicles, and rests them on your desk*
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Seriously though, the guys got a GIANT pair. HUGE. Saying that he's already planning the parade route for when the leafs win the stanley cup? You can't unsay stuff like that. It's a breath of fresh air, but what happens if he doesn't/can't deliver? For the raps it's not a big deal, were losers who are used to losing, and we've got all kinds of excuses, (small market, no one wants to play here etc.) but the leafs are the wealthiest team in the NHL, and an original 6 team, so he's not going to be able to hide behind extenuating circumstances (not that hiding is his style anyway).

Anyone worried that if the Leafs don't win the cup by 2017 TL gets lynched? I mean actual public mob murder lynched. Like South American Football-style lynched.

Anyway, like I said, his balls are so big, they've each got their own planetary systems.
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

alex_elstone wrote: View Post
                          The first 4 you named plus wiggins and smart are the elite 6. Gordon is Griffin 2.0 I'd go 0-82 for the guy
                          A lot can change in a year.

Harrison 2, Sleden, Hairston are all solid players but again a lot can and will change.

Exum and Micic excite me. Four of the players I listed are point guards and all are 6'4"-6'6".

Comment

makes sense to me. i'm all for rebuilding/'tanking' (and not in the ridiculous #tankforwiggins! mindless nonsense).

still can't believe some people think we're still "just a piece away from being actual contenders."

Comment

I agree with TL, all the people that think we can grab a "piece" and "contend" are truly out to lunch.

Have you not been watching the NBA? What exactly does that mean, contend? Do you mean get to the playoffs? Win a round maybe? That is total BS. There are two sides in this, people that want to WIN, the whole thing, the NBA championship, and people that want to continue on like we have been for the entire life of this franchise. Are you actually saying that if we got a guy like Josh Smith or Millsap that we would win? Like get to the finals and beat a team like Miami or the Spurs or the Bulls with Jordan or the Celtics with the big three? You are completely delusional.

We have an opportunity that may never come along ever again. A legit phenom from TORONTO that may take us all the way. The team has a young centre maybe a SG to go along with him and is actually in a spot where we might be able to get a high pick (not 4-10) and DRAFT him. That is how you create a sense of team and a sense of belonging and ownership which is what the Raptors need more than anything. Just like MU said in his presser " I'm home...". We need to have that type of sentiment from elite level talent if we want our team to be in those ads where they show the winners celebrating with champagne after getting the title. If that is not your goal then fine, but it takes everything being right, everything fitting, and everyone believing to reach the goal of actually being on top.

If we swing for Wiggins and miss so be it, at least we tried to do it the right way. Not shortcuts, not Colangelo style trying to bring in jokes like Hedo to build on a false foundation of Bosh who really wanted to leave.

I am sick and tired of supporting a team that IS (not seen as... that is called denial) a joke that not one person that is not a fanatic thinks has a chance. We are embarrassing our selves and the first guy to come in here and tell it like it is is TL. The man has done this before, won before, and now he is here and he is going to give it his best shot. You guys who are criticizing what he is saying don't understand about the risk, the swagger and the attitude it takes to WIN because all you have to base your ideas off is the half-assed short cut BS that you have seen from the Raptors (please God, Tim change the nickname it's a joke as well...) for the last 18 years.

Peace
                              Last edited by aaron.in.toronto; Tue Jul 16, 2013, 08:10 AM.
                              Change the name...Give this city and this country something we can be PROUD of... something we can EMBRACE... something that REPRESENTS us... Please MLSE any name except Raptors...anything, please?

Comment

Even if Leiweke goes down in flames, he will be memorable at least.

I can picture a bald man in his boxers sitting at his laptop yelling "Onions, baby, Onions!!" while reading this.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X